Newer Freewheeler or upgrade what I have???

May 30, 2020
Bend, Oregon USA
I have a 2016 Freewheeler-103 engine, Cobra 909 slip on pipes, K&N air filter, Avon grips, and floorboard mounted highway pegs. 15K miles on the clock. I'm wondering what kind of change I would notice if I replaced it with a newer model with a 114 ci engine? Or what sort of grades could I do to the 103 to realize close to the same result. I'm ok with the ride and handling, but as always if there's been huge improvement-well that factors in too. Any ideas and opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

IMO, the M8 114 is years ahead of the 103

With the 4 valve heads it breaths better, has more pulling power

It has a single cam, making cam chain tension-er service easier

The reverse motor has been updated along with ABS linked brakes with rear traction control

I had a 15 103, traded it for a 107 M8, traded it for my current 114, I can say the 114 is by far the best one I have owned

I have a 2016 Freewheeler-103 engine, Cobra 909 slip on pipes, K&N air filter, Avon grips, and floorboard mounted highway pegs. 15K miles on the clock. I'm wondering what kind of change I would notice if I replaced it with a newer model with a 114 ci engine? Or what sort of grades could I do to the 103 to realize close to the same result. I'm ok with the ride and handling, but as always if there's been huge improvement-well that factors in too. Any ideas and opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

I had a 2011 triglide with a 103 I did the stage one did a complete exhaust system. Cat removed did the slip reprogrammed the red line to 6200 RPMs. Now I have the 114 Triglide it’s perfectly stock and much more powerful than the 103 was with all the improvements 💸💸💸💰

IMO, the M8 114 is years ahead of the 103

With the 4 valve heads it breaths better, has more pulling power

It has a single cam, making cam chain tension-er service easier

The reverse motor has been updated along with ABS linked brakes with rear traction control

I had a 15 103, traded it for a 107 M8, traded it for my current 114, I can say the 114 is by far the best one I have owned

I went from a 103 to the 114 M8 Nite & Day diff love it

I haven't felt the need to add a tuner to my 2019 FW. The bikes runs so well I am leaving it alone. Any mods I make are for comfort. The only thing I could advise is to take some demo rides and you'll be able to make the best call on whether it is worth it to upgrade or not. I am not sure I want to do again all the mods I have on this trike, on a new one, So I'll keep it.

I haven't felt the need to add a tuner to my 2019 FW. The bikes runs so well I am leaving it alone. Any mods I make are for comfort. The only thing I could advise is to take some demo rides and you'll be able to make the best call on whether it is worth it to upgrade or not. I am not sure I want to do again all the mods I have on this trike, on a new one, So I'll keep it.

Yeah. I have the itch to go newer, but I have absolutely no real issues with my current Freewheeler and love the additions I have put on it. It runs well rides well but is a trifle underpowered. Most of my rides are about 2 or so hours with a couple of neighbors. Generally I am the leader as they are "navigationally challenged". Most of the newer Freewheelers I've searched for are as they were from the factory. Don't really want to do what I've already done. I did demo a 2020 (in town) and really couldn't tell much difference, but didn't get it out on the highway. Perhaps at this point I'll do a few more mods on the 2016 and call it good.

Thanks much for all the advice. Truly appreciated!

The 103 is a proven motor

I just purchased my 2023 Freewheeler. It is very powerful. I traded in my 2022 Street Bob with a 114 so the power factor is there. Before that I had a 2017 Street Glide and put 80k on it. Yes the m8 has more power but the 103 in my humble estimation was a fine proven motor.I guess for you the question is, is newer better. I had a oil transfer in my 17 m8 and had to sue Harley to get it fixed bu they have improved the m8 and hopefully got it right.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I wouldn't buy any new HD. They're not making them better that's for sure. But that's the same for all motorcycles. Cheaper parts, more use of plastic, eliminating what were once standard are now options. Eff HD Corporate.

Yeah. I have the itch to go newer, but I have absolutely no real issues with my current Freewheeler and love the additions I have put on it. It runs well rides well but is a trifle underpowered. Most of my rides are about 2 or so hours with a couple of neighbors. Generally I am the leader as they are "navigationally challenged". Most of the newer Freewheelers I've searched for are as they were from the factory. Don't really want to do what I've already done. I did demo a 2020 (in town) and really couldn't tell much difference, but didn't get it out on the highway. Perhaps at this point I'll do a few more mods on the 2016 and call it good.

Thanks much for all the advice. Truly appreciated!

You may find if you do the things listed in the following video, you will no longer feel a trifle underpowered....but if you still want more, then you have a good foundation to build on for even more power.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png