Ouch, my turn for stupid accident

Bikerbozo

Class Clown
Jun 9, 2010
Coram, NY USA
I say stupid, because it was completely my fault. No cars, dogs, wombats or midget clowns to blame.
Trike in shop (HD slacking off getting it back to me). Was on my '04 Electra glide 2-wheeler. After work heading to final softball games. Changed to shorts and sneakers at bar (ginger ale only). On way to field with light drizzle starting. Road I used to know well. Going a hair fast for what still looked like dry road. Concrete and worn stone. Good curve in road. Clown who should have slowed down more than he did. Completely lost traction when trying to brake. Had to keep letting go of brakes to work on steering. Heading towards pole. Car coming the other way. If I had managed to make turn, would have been head on collision. Managed to aim for clear path into woods. Jumped curve right on target. Seemed to have clipped guide wire for pole. Sent me over handlebars as it stopped bike real fast. Tucked and rolled. Landed on my back sliding feet first.

Not sure, but I either hit handlebars with my legs or impacted on something when sliding. Note this was all around 30 mph. Crawled back to see how bike was (I dont think too bad. Windshield gone. Looks straight). Passersby asked if I needed ambulance. I did. Was sitting up at this point. Was pretty sure nothing broken. Correct. Gash in left leg. Right leg severely sprained and road (woods) rash. X-rays all clean. With the amount of milk I drink, my bones are like steel. Friends about 10 min behind me stopped to gather up everything that spilled out of tourpac. Then gave me ride home later.

Called the wife to break the news to her. She outsmarted me and saw caller I'D was from hospital.
I probably won't be up to riding even trike when I get it back. Planning on still making TTNE rally, even if in truck. I'll just relax pool side for the weekend. Was supposed to fly to New Orleans Monday for work. With brace I can't bend knee. No way to fly. Guess I will be home for 2 weeks annoying the wife.:qpnmt::Whack::Crap:

Wow, sorry to hear about your spill but glad you're (more or less) OK. We hope you will be up and about quickly. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. ThumbUp

I'm glad you weren't hurt too bad. The most important thing - you will be fine. Just relax for the next couple of weeks - and let the wounds be healed. Take care of yourself and take it easy. Tell your wife I said hello.

Bozo, I hate so much to hear about this! There is nothing fun about going down!!!
Heal quickly, or your wife will ....... (her option :))

Ouch is right. Glad you're ok, mostly.
You did a lot right, otherwise you would have been hurt much worse.
Get well. Enjoy the holiday and service... LOL.

Had a similar situation years ago only my ordeal was gravel in the curve where kids had been playing. Got to the hospital and the ER doctor kept saying nothing wrong but I couldn't breath from the pain. Wife told them to ship me to a bigger hospital. Once there found 4 broke ribs, 11 cracked vertebra, and badly bruised spleen. Spent the night in the hospital and 6 weeks recovering. Not a fun time. Hope your healing is quick.

Dang, it's hard to keep the clown down, just glad to hear that your ok. Can't really picture you at home for an extended period, don't know who to feel sorry for:D
See you guys in Torringtonpepper

I think if you go back and take a close look at the path you made you will probably see just how lucky of a clown you are. You probably not only just missed a guy wire, which could have given you a new choker look, but also missed the posts that it was attached too. Not to mention other trees, cars, curbs, anybody walking or riding a bike, fire hydrant, such a multitude of things that could have happened. A bike can be replaced, but we can never find another clown like you. Ride safe.

I actually hit the guide wire (or is it called guy wire). That's what stopped bike dead in its tracks.also shook pole from wire so hard, sparks were flying from overhead wire.
Dianne says everyone should feel more sorry for her. Having to put up with me for a couple of weeks.
Luckily my Silverado is big enough that I can drive with left foot. Can't fly or get in any rental car so travel for work out.

So glad to hear you're ok. You never know what's waiting for you around the corner or down the road. Heal quickly and take your time getting back in the saddle.

I'm one of those that feel as sorry for the wife as I do you. I've been laid up for almost two weeks myself after a knee surgery and everyone is feeling sorry for my wife having to put up with me. I do hope everything works out well for you and you are back out on the road soon. Ride a little safer when you get back out in the rain! I'm sure everyone is telling you that.:wave4:

Dayum......:qpnmt:Bozo:qpnmt:....your story was so acute, I felt as if I were there!! Hope you get recouped quickly...and also hope they dint give you any painkillers....the next few weeks could be abusive for us if they did!!!:qpnmt::qpnmt::qpnmt::qpnmt:

Just picked up my pain killers. Probably only take them when I go to sleep.
No scratch's or rips or stains from the knees up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png