Rear shocks won't take air

Jarhead1775

250+ Posts
Nov 20, 2023
Chula Vista, CA
2017 Freewheeler...I have attempted to put air into my trike's rear shocks to no avail twice now. Using two different No loss air pumps. No bueno. I set the pump at 22 lbs. and hit go on the pump, it runs then stops. I check the pressure and there's nothing. The pump is new and works on the tires fine. I'm thinking that the shocks may be tits up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2017 Freewheeler...I have attempted to put air into my trike's rear shocks to no avail twice now. Using two different No loss air pumps. No bueno. I set the pump at 22 lbs. and hit go on the pump, it runs then stops. I check the pressure and there's nothing. The pump is new and works on the tires fine. I'm thinking that the shocks may be tits up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You are confusing me .:Shrug:..The No air loss pump is a hand pump (not an automatic pump) with an attached gage...And if it isn't a true no loss.....As soon as you unscrew the pump off the valve.....You will lose ALL The air in the shocks..

Sorry about the confusion Rhino. Ray, I appreciate the offer. You might need it in the future though. Since we are neighbor cities, I would be up for a meet, and you could show me the pump and we can check out these shocks. Let me know what works for you, and I can ride out that way.

If you used anything other than the hand shock pump, you may have blown them out. If so, you will need to replace them. Using a compressor type pump can and will damage the shocks.

Before we go replacing shocks...check the airline fittings. They are a push in pull out connector just like the airbags on semi trucks. A spritz of penetrating oil will loosen the connector up a bit.Use a soapy water solution and spray around the connectors and see if they leak. If a compressor was used and damage occurred I think you'd also see oil leaking out from the internal seals. In any case the stock air shocks suck and should be upgraded.

Gent's, thanks for the info and recommendations. Let me try to clarify. I did not use a full-blown air compressor. Both units used were basically handheld. One was screw on (I know now that's no good now) and the other one locks on with a lever. Had no idea this task would be this daunting. At any rate, the 10,000 will be due shortly and I'll let the Stealer-ship take a look see. PS Cycle7447 Thanks for the picture of the pump. PICS worth 1000 words so they say. Been on several rides since and sure no damage done.

Gent's, thanks for the info and recommendations. Let me try to clarify. I did not use a full-blown air compressor. Both units used were basically handheld. One was screw on (I know now that's no good now) and the other one locks on with a lever. Had no idea this task would be this daunting. At any rate, the 10,000 will be due shortly and I'll let the Stealer-ship take a look see. PS Cycle7447 Thanks for the picture of the pump. PICS worth 1000 words so they say. Been on several rides since and sure no damage done.

Good luck sir. Now sure what the first one you use is like - however, I can tell you that the one used that locks on will leak air as soon as you unlock it.

I think the one that was offered for free is the Harley one. That guy probably changed his shocks and no longer need it. Why not take advantage of his offer. Lots of folks here are trying to help one another.

Donald, thanks and you're absolutely right, there's a tremendous amount of folks that are more than helpful. Ray's offer is more than generous, and I appreciate it. I've just never been the type to take something for nothing. If Ray replies back maybe we can get together and work something out. At any rate, I'm still riding around and having a blast, so I think the shocks are still squared away.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffHenk

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffHenk
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png