Rear tire backwards on frt of trike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot of articles about trikers putting rear tires backwards on front wheel of there trikes? have any one of you done this. and why? this old Lehman rides very rough and needs a frt tire anyway.

Try a search (upper right of this page) for front tire, tire or similar. There are NUMEROUS discussions already available on this subject. Hope this helps... ThumbUp

Check sizes to see if there is an MPA rear available for the front on a 1200. I also run at 41 psi with internal beads for balancing. Runs great! No more weights for me.

Rosy

I thought everyone was doing it. Why would you not
pros. Logo wear. ( 25,000 miles has been reported)
better handling ( people have noticed improvement in 1st 1/4 mile ride from dealer )
no hopping in corners

cons . None.

I know 30 people that have done it to a 1500 and a dozen on a 1200
a few have experimented with Harley and the other makes
if you can match you front tire size to a rear tire size DO IT NOW. ,!!

Check sizes to see if there is an MPA rear available for the front on a 1200. I also run at 41 psi with internal beads for balancing. Runs great! No more weights for me.
Rosy

Rosy

I just got back from a 2800 mile ride using the BT45 with beads - ran the tp at 36 instead of 41. Much smoother front end ride! I ran the tire at 41 psi for the first 2000 miles. Tire tread is wearing AOK! I'm going to continuing running at 36 and monitoring the wear! Can't notice any difference in handling. Also dropped the rears from from 28 to 26. My wife enjoys the smooth ride!

:GL1800::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

OK the real purpose of reversing the tire direction applies to radial tires, not bias ply. In a radial ply, the cords have a twist to them that opposes the resistive torque applied to the tires. On the rear tire, the torque is in a CW direction, the result of a tire at rest being forced to turn in a CW direction. The cords have a "wind" to them to resist this force. Now, on the front, it being a free wheeling tire, the forces are when you apply the brakes. This is a CCW torque, the brakes are trying to stop the wheel from rotating in a CW direction. Therefore the "wind" of the cords is the exact opposite of the rear tire.

So, what is the advantage of putting on a rear tire in the front? Well, if you have driven your trike for any kind of mileage by now you have discovered the rear tires hardly wear at all whereas the front wears out in no time or develops cupping due to the cornering forces on a tire that is designed to lean on a vehicle where the front does not lean! Unless you can find a car tire skinny enough to fit on your front rim the alternative is to go with a rear tire that has a lot more meat on it. Yes, you will still get cupping from the front tire trying to keep going forward while it is turning, but due to the design of the rear vs the front you have more contact area with the road, and the rubber is thicker.

I had a regular front tire last for about 1 season, whereas the rear tire now on the front is starting it's 3rd season...

In the first place be sure the tire you use is a Bias ply. Not Radial.
Backwards or forwards has not gotten any better results. Been hashing this out for 8 years. I don't care what anyone says. Even if you are running a radial rear tire. Even if you motorcycle had a radial front tire. DO NOT PUT A RADIAL TIRE ON THE FRONT AGAIN ....

Rosy

I just got back from a 2800 mile ride using the BT45 with beads - ran the tp at 36 instead of 41. Much smoother front end ride! I ran the tire at 41 psi for the first 2000 miles. Tire tread is wearing AOK! I'm going to continuing running at 36 and monitoring the wear! Can't notice any difference in handling. Also dropped the rears from from 28 to 26. My wife enjoys the smooth ride!

:GL1800::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

Great. I like the ride with 41 psi. And with the Dyna Beads, you can't go wrong. They say, the beads will reduce the 40 mph wobble on a Goldwing. I think my Michelin Primacy in the rear are at 22 psi. Great ride, smooth, and good handling.
Let us know how you make out at 36 psi instead of 41 psi on the wear.

Rosy

Rosy

Our GL1200 will be needing a new front tire soon so I started to look into this last fall. As far as I could determine, MPA rears are not available in the 130/90-16 size, BUT, Bridgestone BT-45's are.

I already have a BT-45 on our GL1500 and am very satisified. I also use beads in all three wheels.

Some day, tire companies will make a tire for the front of trikes. Ages ago, Avon said they were developing a front tire for trikes, but haven't heard a word since.
With the trike sales soaring, I am sure it won't be long before one of the companies will come out with one. Till then, rear tire reverse with Dyna Beads.

Rosy

Ken, I have never heard of one put on a 1200 trike.
Only 1800's.
It's a MPA rear tire mounted on the front in reverse.
We run it at 41 psi.
Hey Tom I've had the same tire on my 1500 for two years and like you I run it at 41 psi.
I hear you Hot Rod.
I put a MPA on my new 1800 at the 500 mile checkup. That one lasted 25,000 miles and still had mileage left on it.
I change to a new one due to a long trip we were going on.
I now have almost 25,000 on that one and still looks good.

I run Metzler rear on the front not reversed ran a lot of rain last year back of trike would brake free so much standing water but never lost the front end.

I run Metzler rear on the front not reversed ran a lot of rain last year back of trike would brake free so much standing water but never lost the front end.

The rain issue is one that most do not bring up when discussing whether or not to reverse the front tire. The advantage to reversing it is: questionably longer tire life if you do a lot of hard braking. The disadvantage to reversing it is you get less traction on wet roads. The tread pattern on all tires is designed to cause the water on the road that comes under the tire to flow to the outside of the tires enabling the tire to stay with better contact on the road surface. When you reverse the tire, look at the tread pattern now, and you will see that it is now channeling the water to the centre of the tire, not away to the outside!
IMHO the safety factor of better traction in the rain is far more important than trying to get an extra thousand miles of life from your tire so I do not reverse it. As an added bonus for not reversing it, you do not get the slight buzzing in the handlebars from the tire that you will often get when running it in reverse direction. I ride with the front tire at 38lbs and the rears at 23lbs - this seems to give us (wife on the back) the most comfortable ride.

thats what I was thinking about too. we have half of riding season in rain up here. so will just put on a good qaulity frt tire the right direction.the 1200 trike isnt very comfy for us anyway. so wont be keeping it. will find a 1500 Trike,

I had a thread a few months back about this subject.
I was the odd man out running a MPA at 36psi to make for a smoother ride.
Run it in any direction you like.
Most will run it backwards as that is the belts direction and it will toss rain in the proper direction being one reason.
The other being belt direction.
My argument was a rear on the front is under nowhere the strain on the front even under braking as it would be if used as it should be on a rear.
Also I see no need to run a tire at its maximum load requirements. 41psi gives for a much stiffer bumpy ride.
I have been Darkside on all my bikes 2 or 3 wheels for over 20 years with no adverse reactions at any time.
One tire was shot on my Yamaha RoadStar the front did did cup a bit.
It was the OEM front. It was cupped and shot at 8K.
On that bike Ive had a Kendra rear on the front for the last 20K running backwards at 36 psi and so far still has plenty of life.
My MPA has no wear to speak of as of now at about 10K on the 2010 trike at 36 psi.
Running reversed.

I see no reason y someone would replace their front tire with another FRONT tire. The REAR tire on the front is really the only choice. Can't be cost, you can get a rear tire for sometime less than the original front. Mounting cost the same. WIN WIN situation.

I had a thread a few months back about this subject.
I was the odd man out running a MPA at 36psi to make for a smoother ride.

On that bike Ive had a Kendra rear on the front for the last 20K running backwards at 36 psi and so far still has plenty of life.

My MPA has no wear to speak of as of now at about 10K on the 2010 trike at 36 psi.
Running reversed.

I'm all for as smooth a ride as possible. I currently have my reversed MPA at 41 psi. Given your results regarding tire wear and additional comfort, I'll also try 36 to see how she feels. ThumbUp

I see no reason y someone would replace their front tire with another FRONT tire. The REAR tire on the front is really the only choice. Can't be cost, you can get a rear tire for sometime less than the original front. Mounting cost the same. WIN WIN situation.

my Ex HD rider friend has a new FREE rear Dunlop white wall tire thats same size as my frt.will out that on and run in proper direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeeMan
Back