Rear tire psi

Well, this weekend I confronted the general manager and the top service writer and asked about the 40 psi. The service writer confirmed what the other writer told me. "Harley recommends 40 psi on trikes".

I then asked why does the owners manual and the shop manual say 25 psi?? They both looked at each other with blank stares. The service writer scurried back to the shops computer and a half hour later came back and said I was right. :pepper:

I think it took that long so he could find something, ANYTHING that would say 40 psi. :D

There ya go, if all else fails just follow directions. "The Manual"

Glad you corrected them.ThumbUp

Well, this weekend I confronted the general manager and the top service writer and asked about the 40 psi. The service writer confirmed what the other writer told me. "Harley recommends 40 psi on trikes".

I then asked why does the owners manual and the shop manual say 25 psi?? They both looked at each other with blank stares. The service writer scurried back to the shops computer and a half hour later came back and said I was right. :pepper:

I think it took that long so he could find something, ANYTHING that would say 40 psi. :D

30 minutes to look up tire PSI??? :xzqxz: No wonder everything is so expensive!

Kevin

Kevin, I think he found the info right away, but I think he was looking in more places then the Harley literature to find anything that mentioned 40 psi so he could come back to me with, "See it says 40psi right here" but couldn't find anything.
He was just trying to CYA.

When we picked up our new Tri on the 1st of May, it had 40 up front and 34 in the rear, corrected that and had some work done a few weeks ago, it came out of the shop with 40/34 again. I talked to the service manager and he came out and looked on the downtubes for the specs, said "I'll be darned", lol. This week I had new handlebars put on and specified 36/24 on the write up sheet and they were spot on when I picked it up yesterday. We do what we have to do.

My trike had nitrogen in the tires when I got it. Nobody touches the pressure in the tires because of that. Only 1 HD dealer within 3 hours uses it. Just buy some green caps for your tires and they will leave it alone.

My trike had nitrogen in the tires when I got it. Nobody touches the pressure in the tires because of that. Only 1 HD dealer within 3 hours uses it. Just buy some green caps for your tires and they will leave it alone.

The rum dumbs in my neck of the woods would look at the green caps and wonder why, while they check and adjust the pressure.

Tire Pressure,

Same problem, they look at the sidewall max pressure and that is what they do, I even took the side cover off and showed then the air pressure Harley recommends. DUH

over inflated tires and over tightened drive belts seem to be the most common examples of mechanical mishandling I see.
Belts should be mildly loose and rear tires on trikes should be in the 20psi range. If you are not getting at least 45k out of rear tires then pressure is the fault and chances are it's the center that is wearing out first.
It is a tough concept for many to grasp as there is the illusion that the bike will feel mushy in the corners but it is just an illusion. And tire pressure is related to weight alone and not the max pressure denoted on the casing.

RT's like CanAm run 12.5 on the front and 22 rear (by factory spec) dealers normally double the front and add 10 to the rear - tire life is 8k on average

And this is why I brought my Sportster to an indy, even though the local H-D has new owners. Tire pressure, my sister in law had new tires on her p/up inflated to max psi on sidewall. 10 k miles later center of tread almost gone. She then had new tires on her car, again inflated to max sidewall psi. All this at the local tire outlet, who said that's what it says on the tire. None of these boneheads ever look for the sticker on the door pillar,fuel fill door,etc for the psi. And I bet they all graduated from a trade school.

After watching all these on the street interviews on TV with young people, I've come to the conclusion that this country is going to hell in a hand basket. It scares the $hit out of me that these people are going to be running this country - although they can't do much more damage then the current administration is doing. I have no idea what they're being taught in school now days, but it sure isn't what I was taught in school.
They don't want to research anything - just do what their boss or friends tell them without question. :AGGHH:

After watching all these on the street interviews on TV with young people, I've come to the conclusion that this country is going to hell in a hand basket. It scares the $hit out of me that these people are going to be running this country - although they can't do much more damage then the current administration is doing. I have no idea what they're being taught in school now days, but it sure isn't what I was taught in school.
They don't want to research anything - just do what their boss or friends tell them without question. :AGGHH:

Hmmmm ... I seem to remember my Dad telling me the same thing about my generation.

Hmmmm ... I seem to remember my Dad telling me the same thing about my generation.

My old man would always tell me 'i don't know how you kids are gonna make it, Gas will be a dollar a gal, A loft of bread will cost a dollar also, And now that the Commies have the bomb were all doomed ---:xszpv: Some how we made it though the years:Shrug::Shrug: But truth be told the future does looks a little rocky....:cxtv:

This Thread has been HI-JACKED :laugh:

now what was the trie pressure :Shrug:

happen to me today at our local hd dealer i went back to them and they said they have

Why oh why does my dealer insist on inflating my rear tire to 40PSI?? :AGGHH: :AGGHH: :AGGHH:

Every damn time I pick up my TG from having any service done to it, on the ride home, I feel like I'm riding on solid rubber tires. I should know better and adjust the PSI before leaving the dealer, but I keep forgetting.
I asked why they do it and the service writer said that was Harleys recommendation for all trikes.
I screamed at the idiot that even my big SUV doesn't have that high of PSI. I just double checked my owners manual and it says 26PSI for the rear tires.

Do any of you have a moron dealer that does the same thing?? :mad:

It's starting to piss me off. The service writer said all I have to do is tell them when I bring my bike in to not put that much pressure in. Good Grief, why the hell should I have to do that?

Next time I'm going to ask if they also put 7 quarts of oil in too. :gah:
today at our local hd dealer i went back to them and they said they have

I was surprised the a first class company like Roadsmith would recommend high pressures of 32 psi in the rear tires when 16-18 is more appropriate considering the tire volume and weight distribution. In general it seems most manufactures apply double the proper pressure which leads me to think the general mentality is more is better. And a lot of people don't comprehend or understand physics.

Back