Removing tour-pac from Tri-Glide ??

Texan

Gold
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
Always told to go to school on somebody else's experiences. I want to remove my tour-pac and replace it with the '09-'11 FLHXXX luggage rack and passenger back rest. Going to ride this configuration around town......road trips, put the tour-pac back on.

My question (no I haven't crawled under my trike yet) how hard is it to get to the bolts that hold the tour-pac on the body ?? I have very thing ready to bolt on just have to get under the trike or in the trunk and get after it. BUT having Parkinson's getting on the ground is the easy part, it's the getting up off the ground that is the challenge. Getting up and down trying to accomplish this is what's going to wear me out. Have found that things that use to take me 30-40min now take better than an hour or 2. Would rather have everything ready, in place, and get it done.

Having had detachable tour-pac setups on my Ultras I already know about antennas, speakers, wiring and such.

Suggestions ???? (other than letting somebody else do it.) LoL !!!

Thanks in advance for the education.

8~\o

If I remember right on the top of the inside of the trunk you have to remove four nuts. (7/16 or 1/2" socket) Remove seat and unplug wiring and antenna wire. You should then be able to lift right off. (is heavier then it looks)

I got you PM, and went out to snap a pic. There are 3 (7/16") nuts on each side that hold the Tour Pac on.

I have a bad back and my bend overs don't bend over so well anymore either. So when I removed mine I sat on a rolling shop stool behind and to the side of the open door, and used a 7/16" socket and a long extension with a ratchet and reached up and felt where the nuts were to remove them. Then I did the same thing to install the rack which uses 5/16" x 18 bolts with a 1/2" head.

I chose to cut the heads off of 6 ~ 5/16" bolts and thread the bolts into the rack as studs with blue locktite on them, and then put the rack down onto the trunk and secured it with 1/2" locknuts. I thought I was going to have to drill out the holes in the trunk because of the difference in the bolt sizes. But to my surprise the holes are already 5/16" rather than the smaller 1/4" studs that the Tour Pac uses.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask I will be happy to help.

There is a better pic of the underside of the trunk top in the last post of this thread.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...there-be-Light

IMGP2923.JPG

Last edited:
Great info.... Thanks fellow.

Good idea on cutting the bolt heads off. Plan to install it useing nylon lock nuts with fender washers. Plan to use a come-along to lift the tour-pac off and it on an extra roll around tool rack I have. Might even bolt it to that tray to prevent uh-oh's from happening.

Thanks again,
8~\o

If you don't already have the FLHXXX luggage rack and sissy bar, you might be out of luck. I've been told that the sissy bar is no longer being sold or made. There's a guy on another forum whose been looking for one for weeks now. Call your local HD shop and have them do a global search for one (probably won't find one though). I have one for my 11 XXX, but wouldn't part with it because of its discontinuance.

Bubba

Always told to go to school on somebody else's experiences. I want to remove my tour-pac and replace it with the '09-'11 FLHXXX luggage rack and passenger back rest. Going to ride this configuration around town......road trips, put the tour-pac back on.

My question (no I haven't crawled under my trike yet) how hard is it to get to the bolts that hold the tour-pac on the body ?? I have very thing ready to bolt on just have to get under the trike or in the trunk and get after it. BUT having Parkinson's getting on the ground is the easy part, it's the getting up off the ground that is the challenge. Getting up and down trying to accomplish this is what's going to wear me out. Have found that things that use to take me 30-40min now take better than an hour or 2.

Would rather have everything ready, in place, and get it done.

Having had detachable tour-pac setups on my Ultras I already know about antennas, speakers, wiring and such.

Suggestions ???? (other than letting somebody else do it.) LoL !!!

Thanks in advance for the education.

8~\o

If you don't already have the FLHXXX luggage rack and sissy bar, you might be out of luck. I've been told that the sissy bar is no longer being sold or made. There's a guy on another forum whose been looking for one for weeks now. Call your local HD shop and have them do a global search for one (probably won't find one though). I have one for my 11 XXX, but wouldn't part with it because of its discontinuance.

Bubba

Thanks,

I guess ya might say I lucked out on the parts....found 'em from another member up in Canada. Took some doing to get 'em but finally did.

Thought about doing this a couple years ago and dropped the idea when I found out ALL the parts for the FLHXXX were being discontinued. I DID find a luggage rack (no back rest sissy bar) in up state New York for $350.00 but he sold it 10 minutes after he listed it on eBay. There has to be so stock laying around in a couple 2-3 Harley shops around the country but nobody's ask 'em. There was a local fellow had a tour-pac installed on his FLHXXX here locally a couple years ago and from what I can find out the dealership tossed the luggage rack.

DUH !!!!

I'm good and feel that if I ever do decide to stay with the tour-pac I can always get my $$$$$$ back.

8~\o

Yeah, I'll post some pics. Started to when I installed my chrome inner primary but there are bunches of those out on YouTube. Figured everybody already had done this.

Will post some pics on my going topless cause I can't/couldn't find any thing on it. What I should document is the dang search for the FLHXXX parts. OMG!! If they are out there everybody's keeping quiet.
Ha!! Have a friend that has a FLHXXX says he'll just loan me his bike and save me some time.

8~\o

Trunk bolts inside the trunk

I removed my tour pack and I got lucky and found a rack. My tour pack has 4 bolts that screw into welded on nuts on a flat metal bar inside the top of the trunk. My trike is a 2013 Tri Glide. My question is what is the braided ground wire for that's attached to one of the bolts inside the trunk used for? Also if I cut the nipples off of the plastic tits that hold the flat bar to the inside of the top of the trunk will it come off easily?

I removed my tour pack and I got lucky and found a rack. My tour pack has 4 bolts that screw into welded on nuts on a flat metal bar inside the top of the trunk. My trike is a 2013 Tri Glide. My question is what is the braided ground wire for that's attached to one of the bolts inside the trunk used for? Also if I cut the nipples off of the plastic tits that hold the flat bar to the inside of the top of the trunk will it come off easily?

Braded ground for antennas

I'm hoping I can detach the tour pack and it wiring, I still be drivable 10 miles to a body shop mine needs a little repair, where my dealer screwed me when the lock cyl. fell inside the trunk.

2017 tri with less than 400 mi on the clock.... nice huh- what a battle this has been

SKULLSHAKER

I'm hoping I can detach the tour pack and it wiring, I still be drivable 10 miles to a body shop mine needs a little repair, where my dealer screwed me when the lock cyl. fell inside the trunk.

2017 tri with less than 400 mi on the clock.... nice huh- what a battle this has been

SKULLSHAKER

Take It back to the dealer.

Take It back to the dealer.

I am using my dealer minus his body shop he was going to send it to, that he has never used so he said. No thanks.

I'm using my own body shop guy that produces show quality work. With my dealers money, I'm a little anal when it come to my things

2017 Lock Assembly on Trunk

So it seems like others have had this same issue. My trunk lock assembly came off in my hand when I stopped at the dealership. They did fix it after a 3 Hr. wait time but the seal around the assembly came out the first Time I washed the bike after the repair and it is loose again. 2 week wait for parts and I will have to loose another riding day while they fix it again.:(

By the way I am going to be putting in a Tour Pac Relocation Kit this weekend any hints on Disassembly to make it go smoother?:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png