reverse not working

ken g

5+ Posts
Jul 18, 2023
Rock Rapids
hello all , just purchaced a 2020 triglide with some minor damage, the reverse isnt working , when i push the R on the rh toggle switch the R on the dash blinks twice then goes off , i checked the fuse under the rh side panel and reset it but nothing changes , not sure where to go from here, any help would be appreciated , thank you

My reverse switch is on the left hand handlebar and there are two switches (stacked one on top of the other) that need to be activated to get the bike to back up. The top switch is marked 'R' ( to turn the reverse system on, I think) press that one, then the switch right below it makes the bike go backward if you're in the saddle. If you don't already have a factory shop manual they are worth their weight in gold. Good luck.

Clean and tighten battery cables first

Check the main breaker next, if it is tripped, try a reset

Also, the contacts in the LH switch pak may need a shot of contact cleaner, give the controls a good look see and try again, if this fails you may need to over haul the starter motor, the kits are available for @ home do it your self projects or you can send the starter in for a rebuild quote

There are links I have posted here on Trike talk in all of the Triglde and General posts

Best of Luck and keep us posted, Jack Klarich:)

hello all , just purchaced a 2020 triglide with some minor damage, the reverse isnt working , when i push the R on the rh toggle switch the R on the dash blinks twice then goes off , i checked the fuse under the rh side panel and reset it but nothing changes , not sure where to go from here, any help would be appreciated , thank you

Unfortunately I had a CAT scan last week and lost my psychic powers. Why don't you tell us what this "minor damage" is or is it a secret? I hate playing 20 questions.

Just for giggles are you in neutral when you hit the reverse button because if you’re not neutral, you’ll get the light to blink twice and nothing happens. Must be neutral for reverse to engage…

transmission is in neutral but the light on the dash does not come on , if the neutral safety switch is bad will that cause it to not go in reverse? I did put juice to the reverse motor directly and it did kick in, so im assuming the motor itself is good ,

Unfortunately I had a CAT scan last week and lost my psychic powers. Why don't you tell us what this "minor damage" is or is it a secret? I hate playing 20 questions.

hope your cat scan turned out ok and you get your psychic powers back , the trike had mostly cosmetic damage , it ran and drove , handle bars slight bend but all the controls on them look ok

transmission is in neutral but the light on the dash does not come on , if the neutral safety switch is bad will that cause it to not go in reverse? Yes you are correct. I did put juice to the reverse motor directly and it did kick in, so im assuming the motor itself is good ,

Yes, the neutral light on the dash should be on with a green "N" otherwise the bikes electronics do not know it is in neutral and will not allow the reverse to function.

Again check for codes as that will provide a clue as to what is not working.

I use the KISS method

Keep it simple Stupid ( no slam intended)

Start with the basics, keep it simple, reduce it to the simplest way to fix it and have at it

This is how I taught my crew how to diagnose and repair problem child's

RTFM, also means what it says, rad the FREAKING manual, cover to cover

Follow flow charts and you will solve your problems

Buy a good volt/ ohm meter and start with a fully charged battery

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/car-maintenance/how-to-test-a-car-batteryThumbUp;)

If the transmission is in neutral and the light is not on then the reverse will not work because the electronics will not let the motor to engage. That's to protect the other parts.

I would suggest checking the neutral switch first as Jack said keep it simple. The wire could just have come loose or the switch went bad. It's an easy part to test and replace if necessary. Good Luck let us know how it turns out.

Since the reverse motor is bound to fail. Do yourself a solid and get a mechanical reverse. It will pay off in the long run.

If the transmission is in neutral and the light is not on then the reverse will not work because the electronics will not let the motor to engage. That's to protect the other parts.

I would suggest checking the neutral switch first as Jack said keep it simple. The wire could just have come loose or the switch went bad. It's an easy part to test and replace if necessary. Good Luck let us know how it turns out.

yep sure enough , one of the wires was not on the switch all the way , put it on all the way and neutral light came on , the started and put in reverse all works , wow easy fix , thanks for the help all

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png