Ride On how long does it last??

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Ive emailed Ride-On about this a few times with no response.
For alot of us. Age of use comes before miles or a new tire.
Ive been wondering if Ride-On needs to be for lack of a better word "recharged"??
In both my trike and bike. Im in the 4 to 5 year range since adding it to my then new tires.
Ive been wondering if it dries out over extended amount of time VS mileage.
Ive seen nothing mentioned about this on their site if it ages or not.
A few years back I had used another product called Tire Goop.
It came out of a 3 year old rear tire and rim as an almost jet black liquid and was rather messy to clean up at the time.
So if Ride-On goes in as a semi solid liquid to coat the inner tire. I wonder what its shape is 5 or 6 years down the road??

Personally I am not sure what you are talking about but I am always interested in new stuff if you don't mind elaborating some.

Personally I am not sure what you are talking about but I am always interested in new stuff if you don't mind elaborating some.

I can help a little Ride-On is a tire sealer and balancer.. And its been around for years....Supposedly when using it you can go without wheel weights ...

Back in early 2000's I had a buddy who used "RideOn" in his '92 GL1500's tires. One day he heard a noise in the rear of his bike when he rode into the shop where he worked on concrete, looked, had a bolt sticking out of his rear tire. He pulled the bolt and immediately started moving the bike to distribute the stuff .... "RideOn" plugged the hole pretty quickly and he only needed to add a little air to ride to a Honda shop for a new tire.

I was impressed when I saw his old tire.

In 2003 or 4 .... I put some new Dunlop Elite II tires on my '85 GL1200A along with new Honda valve stems and I put the requisite amount of "RideOn" in both ..... no weights at all. Smooth as silk, "RideOn" balanced the tires well. In 2004 we bought our '97 Trike and suddenly rode the '85 less than before.

Both live in a basement with heat in winter, dehumidified, and generally cool in summer. One day in 2011 I went to take the '85 for a ride and moved it off the center stand to move it to check over everything real good, both tires were low, the rear was almost near flat.

Rear valve stem broke off when I went to fill. Used some clamps and pieces of wood to squeeze the tire in place and pull a new valve stem into place, aired up, .... then I did the front tire replacing the stem there as well with new cellophane wrapped Honda stems. I keep spares.

All else was good, I took a ride. Few days later I went to move the '85 again, came off center stand, rear tire was flat again! This time, stem was GOOD. Layed on floor with magnifying glasses on and a bright light and examined every square mm of tread, NO holes.

Where did my air go? :Shrug:

I started examining the tire to rim area and found the very faint white traces of something leaked out in places. I aired up the rear tire fully and started with soapy water looking for leaks, and finally I found a couple at the rim edge .... very very faint traces of air bubbles. Then I turned my attention to the front, it was a little low again but not near flat. In looking really close, found the traces of white there too.

I then removed the two wheel / tires .... one at a time .... and aired down and broke tires loose from the beads and dismounted the tires and found some liquid "RideOn" in the bottom, but I also found dried or cured "RideOn" coating the entire inside of the tire and rim both, bead to bead across the tire .... and there were small traces of it in the bead to rim area as well. Used soapy water and a brush and spent a good hour cleaning on the wheel and tire removing all traces of "RideOn".

I thought long about it as I remounted the tire onto the wheel and this time I used Airsoft Hard Plastic Red Jacket BBs as a balance media. I left the "just installed a week earlier" Honda valve stems in that day. Did both front and rear wheel/tires.

A week later, still exact same psi .... no leaks. I ordered some really short all metal valve stems just for my GL1200 as well as a metal 90 degree one for the Trike's front wheel. When they arrived, I used my wood blocks and large C-clamps to squeeze the tires from the rim enough to install the all metal valve stems in the three wheels.

No more issues.

I am NOT slamming "RideOn" at all .... I think it performed exactly as it should have. I think what happened was over time my 1200's valve stems installed in '03-04 deteriorated .... the rear most ... and when the rotted base finally let air out, maybe as I was riding, that "RideOn" that was slung around inside found it's way to the stem and sealed the stem .... but the stem continued to degrade and as the bike set a spell, no more "RideOn" found it's way there and so the flat rear.

Then when found the flat and R&Red the stems at both ends, I had deflated the tires to do so, and had broken the tire bead to rim seal that previously had been air and "RideOn" tight, and I think when I reinflated the tires that's when some "RideOn" migrated into the bead area and maybe some cured flakes prevented the tire bead from seating and the white traces I saw were "RideOn" attempt to seal.

I am still surprised that I found "RideOn" in all the places I did, I thought it might stay in the bottom of the inside of the tire between the beads only, maybe dripping occasionally from the top onto the rim .... but it was spread well????

Anyway, had I used all metal valve stems when I first installed the "RideOn" likely I would never have had any issue. It wasn't the "RideOn" tat caused my work, it was rotting valve stems. It is entirely possible, even likely I think ..... that the "RideOn" sealed a leaking valve stem as I was riding and that's why I found it at home instead of 89 miles from home in West Virginia on a back road?

With the all metal stems, I don't expect to have that issue crop up again.

I have a couple bottles of "RideOn" on the shelf. I thought when I bought it that I'd reuse old uncured "RideOn" by pooring it out of the old tire, now after that, I doubt you'ld get enough to make it a viable. Maybe the cured condition I found so much in was due to my complete air changes after the vale stem changes?

Don't know
... still on the fence .... maybe I'll use the stuff in the bottles some day yet ..... but haven't yet?

RideOnresidueatbeadon1200July2011.jpg

I did find out that it will dry out from heat build-up if you run on a flat tire due to a hole too large to seal. So it would stand to reason if you run with low pressure the same thing would happen. The hole in my tire was well over a quarter in, closer to half inch. Most likely a bolt from some construction crew that couldn't care less if stuff rolled out of their trailer or truck. But just pure time versus mileage?

There is a statement somewhere about usable shelf life. It might have just been another forum thread somewhere.:Shrug: But I have in the back of my mind 3 years shelf life but that would be a long way from usable life. I don't think I've seen anything on that.

When I talked to customer service about the dry stuff I found they confirmed it was due to heat but also due to fresh air getting in. With a sealed tire that wouldn't happen except by a large hole. I'd call customer service and get an answer straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

My buddy's tire had a good size hole, he said from a "bolt"?

I'll check the paperwork / label .... maybe I can toss it?

Fresh air .... yes, I figured I did that when I R&Red the valve stems on the bike using the C clamps & blocks.

I'll check the paperwork / label ...

Can't edit here, so I'll add that I just looked at my 3 bottle package and an empty bottle I kept for some reason and paperwork and I see nothing about life or shelf life.

However, found this on "Ride On" website:
Q. How long do I have before I have to use the product?

A. All Ride-on products are designed with a 3 year shelf life (in a sealed un-opened container) and a 5 year use life. This 8 year cycle is optimal for two reasons. It gives the customers a perfectly useable product while also allowing the dealers ample time to move their inventory. We highly recommend not exceeding these time limits. Like everything else, our products age and degrade over time. Using an expired product might lead to unsatisfactory results, and even possibly corrosion in rare circumstances. If you order product from a dealer, please take the time to look at the batch stickers (on the 5-gallon pails and 55-gallon drums only) to ensure the sealants are within their expiration limits.

So .... maybe my thoughts in my longer post ending were wrong, maybe that's why I found so much of it dried as well, it was at least 8 years old. I remain convinced it would not have been the issue it was had the valve stems not rotted, but then likely it'd have offered no protection either.

Anyone interested in some 13 year old un-opened Ride On :xzqxz:..... I'll make you a deal? :D

Appreciate all the responses and experiences.
But still have the original question in needing an answer.
This stuff has saved my bacon on more then a few occasions.
It plain works.
Im not personally interested in its self life or as one here whos unfortunate experience with tire and or bike storage.
I ride every day Monday-Friday rain or shine.
So Im still in need of its useful life or longevity in a daily used bike and or trike.
In years, not as in shelf life. That Ive known is 3.
Im going on 6 years in my Darksided bike and beginning year 5 in the trike tires.
I don't change tires till they are shot. Regardless of age or date they were made. The don't use a tire over 7 years old bit doesn't fly with me. If its not cracked or dry rotted its used........In my past it was new bike time every 4 years or so. Ive never kept the same anything long enough to wear out the tires. With me its age way before miles. Riding daily its still under 4K a year on any one bike/trike. As I have 4 motors that need to burn gas. Different transportation everyday well mostly.:laugh:

Im not personally interested in its self life or as one here whos unfortunate experience with tire and or bike storage.
I ride every day Monday-Friday rain or shine.
So Im still in need of its useful life or longevity in a daily used bike and or trike.
In years, not as in shelf life. That Ive known is 3.
Sorry I cluttered your thread.
All Ride-on products are designed with a 3 year shelf life (in a sealed un-opened container) and a 5 year use life. This 8 year cycle is ... etc ....
If that don't address your question, what would?

Sorry I cluttered your thread.
If that don't address your question, what would?

Please don't be concerned by my reply to your problems. I meant nothing negative about the.
Folks need to know about your issues.

But
I do need to know if I should add more of the Ride-On to my tires in order for it to remain effective. Ive had in 1 bikes tires for 6 years and 12K miles. Ive only put 14K on my trike in 4 years. So Im nowhere near needing tires yet.

You can either break them down and clean them out and remount and add fresh "Ride On" ... or just live with less reliable protection (and maybe some corrosion).

http://www.ride-on.com/technical.html

I have no intention of breaking down the tires.
So I guess I could just add more.
Might help might not, but Ill give Tech Support another few days to see if the reply.
Im surprised there is no info on years or mileage when the products in use. One easy way to tell if its actually even balancing still which might be an indication. Is to pull or rip off the taped weights.
Last time I got a new bike front tire which was about 8 years ago. There was no residue to speak of on the rim. The sealant was still semi soft in the bike front but it was only 2 years old and badly cupped. I put on a Kenda rear and used beads. The light truck tire on the rear is 6+ years old and has the Ride-on in and no weights. That tire has had 2 punctures never patched or plugged. Also the bike has had till recently little to no use for 4 years. My trike had new tires front and rear 4+ years ago when I got it and they were balanced. I added the Ride-On a few weeks later but left on the weights.
At the rate Im using these 2 vehicles. 2 years is the minimum before I might need a tire some where.

I'm not sure I would just up and add more. They are rather specific on the amount to use. And if it's like other products that do similar, if you get too much it has a very negative effect. With a tire that is out of balance all the time at any speed. I made that mistake once on a pair of car tires that didn't have my size tire(big) listed. So I added more. What a mistake.

I'm not sure I would just up and add more. They are rather specific on the amount to use. And if it's like other products that do similar, if you get too much it has a very negative effect. With a tire that is out of balance all the time at any speed. I made that mistake once on a pair of car tires that didn't have my size tire(big) listed. So I added more. What a mistake.

:Agree: The ride-on already in the tire doesn't dissipate and is still there , Adding more will most likely unbalance the tires!:Shrug:

I'm not sure I would just up and add more. What a mistake.

Im not going to add anymore. Just me being frustrated at for what ever their reason for not replying to a simple question.:mad: Asked a few times and have never gotten as much as a peep out of them.
Not very good CS in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

:Agree: The ride-on already in the tire doesn't dissipate and is still there , Adding more will most likely unbalance the tires!:Shrug:

One would think that is so.
But whats their major malfunction in not answering a simple users question over there at Ride-Ons CS.:AGGHH:
Im sure Im not the 1st to ask it.
I usually have to replace tires from dry rot way before they are worn down.
My last 2 cars had 15K and 60K on them 12 and 19 years old respectively.
I still have the 97 Merc. My beater when its raining in the AM. My 11 year old Yamaha just hit a whopping 30K (Double Dark) Bike rear on front Light Truck tire on rear.
Good for at least 30K miles on each tire. Trikes 6 Years old 25K miles original tires triked since new.

Im not going to add anymore. Just me being frustrated at for what ever their reason for not replying to a simple question.:mad: Asked a few times and have never gotten as much as a peep out of them.

Not very good CS in my opinion

Hey Jay. I read some on their site.

Does this statement not answer you question? "All Ride-on products are designed with a 3 year shelf life (in a sealed un-opened container) and a 5 year use life." They go on to say a total of 8 years. If you would find a bottle with a recent manufacture date then I'd interpret that to still mean 5 year use life. Mileage does not appear to fit into the equation at all. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Not very good CS in my opinion

QUOTE]

Hey Jay. I read some on their site.

Does this statement not answer you question? "All Ride-on products are designed with a 3 year shelf life (in a sealed un-opened container) and a 5 year use life." They go on to say a total of 8 years. If you would find a bottle with a recent manufacture date then I'd interpret that to still mean 5 year use life. Mileage does not appear to fit into the equation at all. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Of course it does Jerry
Now I saw the 3 year bit awhile back.
Where on the sit did you find it this time??
I read the whole danged site and missed it this time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png