RIP Jessie Coombs...

peteg59

Meme Master
Gold Member
Youngish female fabricator, racer and all around good gal.

Combs held the title of "fastest woman on four wheels" after setting a record of 398 mph in her jet-powered North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013. More recently, she had piloted that same car to 483.227 mph in a single shakedown run in October 2018, though that run ended prematurely with mechanical troubles. (Governing bodies require two back-to-back runs in opposite directions to set an official speed record.)

Combs was a legend in the automotive world. Trained in fabrication and hot-rod building at WyoTech, she soon made her way to automotive television. Combs was a host, builder, and technical expert on shows like Xtreme 4x4, Overhaulin', Truck U, and Two Guys Garage. She brought about Velocity channel's All Girls Garage, and was a host and builder on a season of Discovery Channel's Mythbusters.

When not on camera, Combs competed in a wide variety of racing venues. She was the first woman to place at Ultra4's King of the Hammers; she took home a Class 10 podium finish at the Baja 1000; and she ran in the Rallye Aicha des Gazelles, an all-women rally race. She was even the first woman to compete in The Race of Gentlemen, racing a twin-engine 1913 Ford Model T.

Combs joined the North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger team as driver in 2013. Her goal was to pilot the car (built from a decommissioned fighter jet) beyond 512 mph, the record for Fastest Woman on Earth, set in 1976 by Kitty O'Neil.

Full story below...

f3aed4abf750141e1b9536653bdf0bb4--being-a-girl-jessi-combs.jpg

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://jalopnik.com/fastest-woman-on-four-wheels-jessi-combs-killed-in-jet-1837654356?rev=1566999867534[/FONT]

Hey' If you gotta go' [And we all will some day] Go while you're doing something you love..:Shrug:....

RIP Jessi! The automotive world is missing a great gal today!!!

Like Bob stated, at least she passed doing what she loved...

I have spent my career, building, custom equipment,hot rods,cars trucks,motorcycles,and installed my trike kit. I gained respect for this young lady in her ability to fabricate,make,and repair things. She will be missed. A great talent gone to soon.

I had not heard of this before. When did she die and how? I really enjoyed her on her TV shows, she was a great talent.

Back