Road Glide 3 - Is this normal?

JerseyGirlRider

20+ Posts
Jan 9, 2024
Silver Spring, MD
Please forgive if this is a silly question, but this is my first motorcycle. After I ride, I pull into our garage (enclosed) and turn off the bike. I find that I have had to start leaving the windows cracked, because the gasoline/exhaust smell lingers for quite a long time. For example, I rode my bike and came home a but before 5 pm. And my garage still smells like a mix of gasoline and exhaust. Is that normal? Thanks.

My '21 Freewheeler does something similar. I like to close the garage up if I just got back from a chilly ride because it warms it up in there nicely. I rather like the smell. :) I mean, I don't know how STRONG your RG3's odor is, but it's probably normal especially considering it's new and burning off junk from the manufacturing processes and also your not used to it yet.

Please forgive if this is a silly question, but this is my first motorcycle. After I ride, I pull into our garage (enclosed) and turn off the bike. I find that I have had to start leaving the windows cracked, because the gasoline/exhaust smell lingers for quite a long time. For example, I rode my bike and came home a but before 5 pm. And my garage still smells like a mix of gasoline and exhaust. Is that normal? Thanks.

My Tri Glide, does the same thing….(actually most bikes that I’ve had have done That in my garage) specially, on a cool day and if you garages fairly air tight, it’ll be more pronounced.. Also I’ve noticed if the gas tank is well below a quarter tank it’ll be more pronounced..

My '21 Freewheeler does something similar. I like to close the garage up if I just got back from a chilly ride because it warms it up in there nicely. I rather like the smell. :) I mean, I don't know how STRONG your RG3's odor is, but it's probably normal especially considering it's new and burning off junk from the manufacturing processes and also your not used to it yet.

I think this is an interesting post. I personally have not experienced this occurrence myself. I like the "close the garage" and keep the heat in concept. I personally do leave the garage door open when I pull in for probably 20 to 30 minutes while the bike cools down, something I have always done with every bike we have had. I have no gas smell ever, no exhaust smell either. I do lean towards agreeing that a new bike (with that new bike smell) could be a minute burning off the newness. My 17 FW does not leave any odors ...

IMG_9463.jpg IMG_9148 6.jpg

Girlrider, Are you possibly refilling the tank at the end of each ride? That could account for the gasoline smell as the heat from the engine will warm the tank forcing fumes out the vent. Natural occurrence. Stick around, there's lots to be learned from this group. Glad you stopped by.

This is normal and happens whenever a bike's heat soaked engine radiates that heat (hot air rises) onto the bike's gas tank directly above it. All motorcycle gas tanks have a vent hose that vents gas vapors out of the tank, otherwise it would pressurize the tank, not safe.

When the bike is parked outdoors, the fumes dissipate into the air and you don't notice the odor, but in an enclosed garage, you do. I suggest you leave your garage door open for a while after a long ride, so the fumes have time to dissipate.

Girlrider, Are you possibly refilling the tank at the end of each ride? That could account for the gasoline smell as the heat from the engine will warm the tank forcing fumes out the vent. Natural occurrence. Stick around, there's lots to be learned from this group. Glad you stopped by.

Thanks, but no I'm not refilling the tank at the end of each ride, so that's not the issue.

So, quick update. I went on a ride today with my husband. 100 miles in about 3 1/2 hours. And when we got back the smell was still there but not as strong. He suggested wiping down my pipes really good before we headed out and he checked the engine thoroughly. He noted that the smell was not gasoline, but was exhaust. But again not nearly as bad after wiping down the pipes. So I wonder if something was just burning off that shouldn’t have been there. But I’ll still mention it when I take it for the 1000 mile service to Harley.

Okay, some do it, some don’t. Papa Zook blames engine heat. Could a tank lift be the determining factor? I have a tank lift and never had the odor.

That might help slightly Roy, but will not resolve the issue here. The primary issue is for sure parking it hot in a small enclosed area where the gas fumes collect. The best cure I've seen for solving that are adding a set of Love Jugs fans. They are manually switchable on or off, so let them run for 5 or 10 minutes after parking it and the problem is solved, that or leave the garage door open.

Her mentioning that the trike is new and is just now hitting the 1000 mile mark, is an inticator that she could be smelling some "new bike burn off" smell from the engine and pipes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png