Rookie Querstions on the Triglide

Apr 22, 2009
Clifton, NJ
Hi Everyone,

This is Guiderider. I have posted before, but I am still a new Trike owner (just bought the HD Triglide back in March) and I have some basic questions for all you veteran Trikers out there. So here goes!!

My wife and I just got back from an 1800-mile trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountains aboard my Triglide and have some questions/comments. I met many wonderful Trikers along the road and many of the discussions revolved around suspensions. The Triglide is basically rigid and you really feel the bumps. Is an independent suspension a better option for a Trike and are there any advantages over the ridged?

While looking at the rear breaks on my Trike I noticed how small they were compared to the front discs and also compared to other conversion Trikes. Did HD just skimp on the rear breaks? They actually don’t seem to stop that well. In fact I could just use the front all the time for as much stopping power as I got from the rear. Is this unusual? Something I should have looked at? Please understand I also have an Ultra and have ridden for 40 years and understand the use of front and rear breaking. The Triglid’s rear breaks seem pretty bad?

Does anyone know if there are after market covers that would protect the lower part of the front fenders? They take lots of hits from road junk and I am afraid they will eventually start to get chipped. Speaking of chips, Has anyone run into problems with the paint chipping on their Triglide?

Has anyone seen a complete road test and unbiased evaluation on the 09 Triglide written anyplace? What kinds of Trike magazines are out there?? I already subscribe to about 5 rags as it is!

Last question, promise! Like a dummy I pulled to close to the side of a gas island and scuffed up the side of the left rear fender. It basically needs to be repainted to look like it was when new. My dealer tells me they can’t be repainted, because you can’t match the Harley Paint (Sun Glow Red) and that I should buy a new fender from the factory. ($850)!! What’s the real deal?? Is Harley Sun Glow red some closely guarded secret that body shops can’t buy? Or am I getting BS from the dealer??

As always thanks for your help and patience with the new guy.

Guiderider

Hello Guiderider,

I can only speak to two of your questions.

Fender protection: InvisiGARD paint protection film Fenders Kit for a’09 H.D. Tri-Glide Item number 30029686

Have not used it but hear many have and are happy. Yes, I have road nicks and a couple in the rear fender from a couple of driveway scrapes. I do plan on painting it some day, maybe two-tone, so not to concerned.

The brakes have been an issue for me. Replaced all at 1200 miles. Now at 2300 they will need to be replaced again. Something is not aligning properly, and the discs are skweaking when gliding and no brakes are used. Found deep grooves in the discs again. Took to Harley shop today because of trans leak (loose screws found) and clutch cable leak from bad crimp. Awaiting replacement parts now.

Dealer called Harley about brakes again and we await their reply.

Though when using the combination of front/rear braking, I have felt I had the necessary stopping power. I live in LA and have had to brake hard a few times, but at speeds not exceeding 35-40mph. Of course have never tested in an extreme condition.

Color matching could be a problem. Maybe you can contact Harley cutomer service and see if a touch up system is available.

Enjoy your trike. I have had many issues, but still love it!

I don't have a Triglide, but I can share that you certainly will chip your fenders if you don't protect them, and it won't take rocks to do it---even the bugs will!
I didn't want to cover the color of my fenders, so I opted to use the 3-M clear protectant. Ziebart custom cut and applied it for me, and it works wonderfully.

About the paint... Harley has always sold their current paint colors to body shops in the past for repairs. I wonder if your dealer means the repaint without Harley's factory technique might not look the same???? I can't imagine that your body shop couldn't buy the paint from the factory!

And the gas pump thing.......OUCH! I hate to hear that! I have to remind my husband every time he rides my trike, as he forgets!!!! I'm terrified he is going to scrape my fenders. LOL!

Thanks to both of you! I truly appreciate your help! The gas pump thing was just my own stupid fault! Nice to hear I am not the only one who has breaking concerns. Don't get me wrong the Trike stops, but the rear binders are very weak! I looked at them compared to the custom packages and my rear calipers look so small compared to the others. The rotors are so small, yet there is plenty of room for a larger rotor. Thanks for the info on the fender cover. PS I live in NJ and stop and go traffic is the norm! Sometimes more stop than go!

Thanks Folks!!

Guiderider, Any good body shop that has a good computer paint mixer should be able to do the paint, unless that color is so new it has not gotten around yet. My neighbor has such a shop and he matched my Harley paint for my conversion died on. Harley colors were on his system.

Sorry I can not help with the brakes my Harley Trike is a conversion and my brakes are just fine. Ted

Some body shops even have scanners that can adjust for fade. System of painting, no problem. I had a friend have his Bushtec trailer pained to match his Yellow 1800 Honda Wing at it is perfect took 7 coats (White, Yellow,Pearl, Clear yellow , and 3 coats of clear ) but Honda sent the step by step paint procedure

Hi Everyone,

This is Guiderider. I have posted before, but I am still a new Trike owner (just bought the HD Triglide back in March) and I have some basic questions for all you veteran Trikers out there. So here goes!!

My wife and I just got back from an 1800-mile trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountains aboard my Triglide and have some questions/comments. I met many wonderful Trikers along the road and many of the discussions revolved around suspensions. The Triglide is basically rigid and you really feel the bumps. Is an independent suspension a better option for a Trike and are there any advantages over the ridged?

While looking at the rear breaks on my Trike I noticed how small they were compared to the front discs and also compared to other conversion Trikes. Did HD just skimp on the rear breaks? They actually don’t seem to stop that well. In fact I could just use the front all the time for as much stopping power as I got from the rear. Is this unusual? Something I should have looked at? Please understand I also have an Ultra and have ridden for 40 years and understand the use of front and rear breaking. The Triglid’s rear breaks seem pretty bad?

Does anyone know if there are after market covers that would protect the lower part of the front fenders? They take lots of hits from road junk and I am afraid they will eventually start to get chipped. Speaking of chips, Has anyone run into problems with the paint chipping on their Triglide?

Has anyone seen a complete road test and unbiased evaluation on the 09 Triglide written anyplace? What kinds of Trike magazines are out there?? I already subscribe to about 5 rags as it is!

Last question, promise! Like a dummy I pulled to close to the side of a gas island and scuffed up the side of the left rear fender. It basically needs to be repainted to look like it was when new. My dealer tells me they can’t be repainted, because you can’t match the Harley Paint (Sun Glow Red) and that I should buy a new fender from the factory. ($850)!! What’s the real deal?? Is Harley Sun Glow red some closely guarded secret that body shops can’t buy? Or am I getting BS from the dealer??

As always thanks for your help and patience with the new guy.

Guiderider

"Is an independent suspension a better option for a Trike and are there any advantages over the ridged?" Think of it this way. Most passenger cars have independent rear suspensions and most trucks have live axles.

"In fact I could just use the front all the time for as much stopping power as I got from the rear." I can't speak to the brakes that H-D/Lehman use but front brakes supply 70% or more of the braking power on most all highway vehicles.

I don't have a TriGlide and have learned to keep my mouth shut concerning the problems others have with it. I do have a TG front end on mine to take advantage of the genuine HD raked trees and parts. I have a 2000 FLHT with a Lehman Renegade kit, which in all but name and a few bells-n-whistles...is practically a TG. It has a straight axle (Lehman no-lean suspension) and may not ride as comfortable as those with independent suspenisons, but the solid axle machines have fewer components....and I mean a LOT fewer. There are pro's-n-con's for each.

I can talk about rock-pecks and self inflicted wounds due to gas islands and garages. I have a lot gathered-up from all over the lower 48 and Canada. I discovered a cute little trick from a friend of mine. My bigger "little marks" have been covered with bullet-hole decals. They work very well and draw attention. I look just like I have been shot-at 3 times. Two on one fender and one on the other. Of course...I would not suggest this for a design concept, but it does make those little dings serve a purpose until it's time for a paint job or touch-up.

I went to an upholstery shop and told them what I wanted $75.00 later I drove off with them on. I have I R s and yes it rides a lot smoother. I have ridden the Champion and the motor Trike and my wife has ridden on the back for many miles and she agrees . Brakes are fine I have the original honda disk

I went to an upholstery shop and told them what I wanted $75.00 later I drove off with them on. I have I R s and yes it rides a lot smoother. I have ridden the Champion and the motor Trike and my wife has ridden on the back for many miles and she agrees . Brakes are fine I have the original honda disk

John,

Are you talking about fender bra coverings for the fenders?

Barbara

Go to any place you see my name and click on it like where my name is in blue here then look at my albums.

Once again thanks to everyone for your suggestions and helpful ideas. I like the bullet holes idea and the upholstery shop is where I am going to start looking. I have a good one just down the street! Do any of you subscribe to any Trike only magazines? I do the usual Cycle World, Rider and most of the rest (they love me at recycling), but I can't seem to find any Trike only publications out there. Also how about any books on riding a trike, like the Proficient Motorcycling books?? Any suggestions?? Thanks again everyone!

<in-part>

Hi Everyone,

While looking at the rear breaks on my Trike I noticed how small they were compared to the front discs and also compared to other conversion Trikes. Did HD just skimp on the rear breaks? They actually don’t seem to stop that well. In fact I could just use the front all the time for as much stopping power as I got from the rear. Is this unusual? Something I should have looked at? Please understand I also have an Ultra and have ridden for 40 years and understand the use of front and rear breaking.

The Triglid’s rear breaks seem pretty bad?

Guiderider

<in-part>

Guiderider,

There has been a considerable amount of discussion on another forum about the adequacy of the Tri-Glides rear brakes. There are those that think that the TG's rear brake is just fine therefore are dismissing an ever growing number of us that thing that TG rear brake is “Marginally Adequate”!

As I stated on the other forum; over the years I have driven many different size and weight vehicles; therefore, I am able to distinguish good braking from marginal braking…”my TG has MARGINAL BRAKING” at best! Unless I apply a ton of pressure on the rear brake, the TG will roll backwards down a hill when stopped at a stop light. No one will ever convince me that is correct!!!

Harley customer service claims that they had not heard of any braking problem and now they are saying that there is no braking problem. I am advocating that if Harley continues to ignore this serious safety issue; that we take our complaint directly to the U.S Department of Transportation!

Stay Safe Out There!!!!

Jim

I have no experience with the brakes that H-D/Lehman uses on the TriGlide but remind you that like other two axle vehicles, the front supplies most of the braking power (70%++) If you look at most cars and light trucks as well as other motorcycles, the rear braking surface and hydraulic parts are smaller than the front. It is also prudent, as you know to use both the front and rear brakes to stop the vehicle.

If you believe your brakes are unsafe and if dealers and the manufacturer do not provide satisfaction, it would be in order for you to contact the NHTSA/DOT and share your concerns.

<in-part>

Unless I apply a ton of pressure on the rear brake, the TG will roll backwards down a hill when stopped at a stop light. No one will ever convince me that is correct!!!

Jim

Now that ain't right. :no: Shouldn't have to apply so much pressure on the brakes either front or rear by themselves just to keep from rolling. I would think that, when standing still, the rear brakes provide 2/3 of the braking. More if the rear of the trike is down hill and wanting to roll backwards.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png