Scary guestion or a dumb one.

How do you clean the wiring harness underneath the seat ? I don't want to short anything out. But I have ten years of crud under there.

With the Tri-Glides they'er pretty well water-tight...With the Honda conversions i honestly can't say....I would Just go lightly by hand with soap and water....:Shrug:...

If it ain’t broke... don’t fix it. If it was the wiring harness in the engine compartment of your car or truck what would you do. :wave4:

If it ain’t broke... don’t fix it. If it was the wiring harness in the engine compartment of your car or truck what would you do. :wave4:

When i was a youth and anal i would spray the engine compartments of my pride and joys with de- greaser.....And hose them down..[64 Cuda' 65 442...And 68 Charger]...

And haven't cleaned an engine since 69...... :Shrug:...Sometimes dirt is good it leave a protective coating.....:laugh:...

Been wondering this for years. I've thought about getting the power washer out on some hot sunny day and have at it, but never have. I have power washed the underside, but not from the top down.

How do you clean the wiring harness underneath the seat ? I don't want to short anything out. But I have ten years of crud under there.

Not a scary or dumb question, good to see people doing maintenance. :)

Mix up a spray bottle of Dawn detergent and water. 2 TBS to a quart of water. Wet the area with a gentle hose stream, then spray the area(s) you wish to clean. Using a 'chip brush' or other handy long bristle brush, and use it to help the stubborn soils. Rinse with a gentle stream of water. If your wiring is in good shape and stock, this should wash without damage. Even if there are butt connectors and/or other wiring things added, the water should not cause damage. If there are connectors/ends that seem to retain a bit of water, use WD40 with a tube on the nozzle for pinpoint application, and apply sparingly to areas of concern.

A gentle blow out with compressed air after will help dry, but I would be cautious about getting too close, and forcing water in places. A hair dryer works well also. 'Drip Dry' is also a good option.

I would be hesitant to use a pressure washer. :xzqxz:

Been wondering this for years. I've thought about getting the power washer out on some hot sunny day and have at it, but never have. I have power washed the underside, but not from the top down.

Depending upon how powerful the spray washer is it will take all the wax Off-paint it will take a pin-striping off and the strip off the decals😱.. Besides pushing water into places you don’t want water being pushed into😕..

I don't care how well you think wiring is wrapped or sealed, never attempt to clean it with a power washer. If you must clean wiring under a seat where it's not seen, use soft cloths & a very light mist of a protectant & gently wipe. I don't know about HDs, but to force high pressure water into wiring under the seat on a Honda GL, etc … is an invitation to future problems with corrosion at plugs, terminals, splices, those blue Scotchlok connectors, even into components. I also never use pressure washer around wheels or steering stems or swing arm pivots, too easy to drive water past seals.

Just not a good idea

When you're done you might need this...

View attachment 83672

But I need negative ground to replace the smoke in mine. Where do I get that? I've used wire-caps to contain the smoke at the unused ends, but some still leaks out. So I need to top it off a little like you do with tires and air pressure. Humidity seems to result in more smoke leaking as well and it's been quite humid so far this year. So I need some negative ground wire harness smoke replacement. I just can't seem to find any anywhere and you would think someone like Lucas would have made it available for those of us on this side of the pond. :Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Last edited:
Back