Slow motion deer

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
This morning around 5am I was riding to work. It was about 40 degrees out and I was starting to get cold.

I was headed down HWY 221 at around 65- 70mph (I know to fast)
All of a sudden this deer ran out in front of me. I could see he was stretching his legs out and going at full speed but it seemed like slow motion.
My front wheel just missed his butt and I thought to myself he was going to hit my back wheel/fender. He just missed that also

The funny thing about it is how slow it all seemed to happen. I know it was not slow at the speed I was going but I swear I could have reach out and petted that deer as I went by.

I quickly forgot about the cold and started watching the sides of the road better. I usually do this but this morning I was more focused on the cold

The hunters around here need to start taking out these deer. I have had so many near misses with them. I know its going to happen one day.

I know those dear whistle do not work but is there anything else that does?

Be safe out there

Glad to hear you made it to work without any "contact" between you and the deer.ThumbUp
No idea what, if anything, can be mounted to the trike to ward off wildlife. My neighbor had an encounter in his car that didn't end as well as yours, and has installed a couple of those deer whistles on the front bumper. How well they work is anyone's guess but he hasn't hit another deer yet.
Vigilance and luck are the two biggest factors in avoiding a surprise meeting with wildlife out on the roads around here.

The only thing that works [Sometimes] Is when in deer country is to slow down and keep your eyes scanning the sides of the road...Where i live' North Jersey every inch is deer country even in town. Out here we call them Woods Rats... I only hit one with a trike, [Spyder] just taped his rear end with my right front tire as he came by me...
I moved out here in 1970. So i know just about where they frequent.. But still i managed to whack 8 or 9 of them with a car/truck over the years...With a car when you know your gonna hit one head on, Just before impact get off the brakes so they go under and not over and though your windshield... Sorry to say i knew a Woman who was killed when a deer she hit went though her windshield and into her lap..
As far as hunting... The deer season goes from Sept to March And once you shoot a buck there is no limit on how many Does you can get...

Years ago my buddy put deer whistles on his car. About 2 weeks later he hits deer. I said what happened those whistles were supposed 2 save ya! Yea just my luck 2 hit a deaf deer!

Years ago my buddy put deer whistles on his car. About 2 weeks later he hits deer. I said what happened those whistles were supposed 2 save ya! Yea just my luck 2 hit a deaf deer!

From what i understand those whistles brings them in real close so you can give them a good whack...;)

I have driven a couple million miles and about 50 years. I hit 5 deer in 3 years all on the same road driving the same company van. The first one I hit knocked one of the deer whistles off the company van I was driving. I run loud exhaust on all my vehicles and have never hit a deer with mine. I am a firm believer that loud pipes saves lives, ours and the deers.

I stand by my deer whistles. Had them on bikes for years. Plenty of deer on sides of roads. They steer clear of me. They work great (until they don't). They don't cost much. Couldn't hurt to have them.

I live in Northern California about 70 miles from Reno Nevada and my 97 Camry and I have had 3 deer collisions in 2 years and about 12 close calls.

I just recently bought a 2011 Tacoma and I ordered and installed a bumper made of 1/4 inch plate steel with loops to protect the headlights. I call it my Bambi Killer. I haven't hit anything with it yet but it's as protected as I can make it.

I am still in the process of building my trike, but have thought about it many times, and it's a legitimate worry.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png