Throttle cable problem

Doug D.

"Tin Man"
Gold Member
May 5, 2012
Vienna, MO USA
Ok... Had a beautiful day to ride today, only to have it cut short by yet a third busted throttle cable.

This time, I was fortunate enough to have it break in the drive of my local VW shop, and was able to get a bus cable and modify it to make it work. Made it home without further incident.

Naturally, since the trike is a one-off build, the throttle cable has to be home made. Can't just hop on over to the parts store and pick one up. The problem each time, has been that the cable breaks off at the grip end, inside the little barrel end that holds it in the grip. I'm running Harley style hand controls, and the cable is made up of a common housing and common galvanized .0625" cable. The "little barrel" device is a brass piece with a tiny set screw in one side. The cable passes through the brass piece and is clamped into place with the set screw.

This is where it has failed each time.

My question is for those of you who are running home made cables with Harley style controls (or anybody else who may have a suggestion, for that matter). What kind of cable end are you using at the grip? There has to be something better than the POS set-up I've got now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance I can get.

Do you have an local shop that builds vw dune buggys?
I had the local sand rail shop replaced the rusty one
on my vw trike when I got it. So far, it has lasted for 6 years.
Glad you brought this up, I need to find an extra just in case
for the trip this summer.

It sounds like the set screw is cutting through the cable. A stock VW cable is solid on that end. I've made cables with a solid end by wrapping the cable end with some fine copper wire and then heating it and running solder into it. It can be filed down to the size to fit the hole in the barrel.ThumbUp

Measure your length of cable needed (and sheathing which should be somewhat shorter). Take your measurements to most any bicycle shop and they can make you a cable to your specs that will have the barrel needed swaged on permanently.

I use the 120" cabl on this page. You will need your current fittings to mate it to the Harley controls.
http://www.gokartsupply.com/thcable.htm

Good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing with everyone man.

I currently have an air throttle, which works pretty well but I am not getting 100% throttle. Not sure if the throw is too much or what. I am thinking about going to a twist grip type throttle and that link might just be the ticket I am looking for.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootsnhats
Back