Tire plugging question

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
Here's something weird that JUST happened to me last week::: I had a screw in my right tire of my car, so I brought the car to a tire repair shop, and they plugged the tire for me w/o any question........WELL A WEEK later I had a nail in my trailer tire, and brought the tire in to be repaired at the same repair shop, and they would NOT PLUG UP THE TIRE, I had to purchase a new tire...................

I have NO IDEA why they would plug a passenger car tire w/o question.... BUT would not plug a small trailer tire (trailer is the one that I pull behind my trike)

Hoping you can help me understand :confused::confused: thanks

Ronnie

Here's something weird that JUST happened to me last week::: I had a screw in my right tire of my car, so I brought the car to a tire repair shop, and they plugged the tire for me w/o any question........WELL A WEEK later I had a nail in my trailer tire, and brought the tire in to be repaired at the same repair shop, and they would NOT PLUG UP THE TIRE, I had to purchase a new tire...................

I have NO IDEA why they would plug a passenger car tire w/o question.... BUT would not plug a small trailer tire (trailer is the one that I pull behind my trike)

Hoping you can help me understand :confused::confused: thanks

Ronnie

It all depends where the nail entered the tire. If it is in the flat part of the tire, they can plug. Any where else they will not.

I also believe there is a stigma with any tire related to a motorcycle, including a trailer ... I believe they are afraid of the liability. The AMA and several other organizations have long said the plugging a motorcycle tire is very dangerous ... personally ... I think the are a little over cautious.

I will bet you big bucks if you took the tire and wheel to the same place and told them it came off a lawn tractor trailer or a boat trailer, they would fix it quickly ... :D

Could it also be as simple as they can't open the tire far enough to work

inside the tire to prep the area to patch or plug ??? :Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
4spen@Proj2
Back