tire size

Purchased a used 2003 Goldwing w/2004 Roadsmith Kit. Rear tires look to be 11 years old so I think I'm ready to replace them although tread depth is good. My question is concerning size. Currently are 215 45R17 and wondering how 215 50R17 would affect #1 ride and #2 mpg? I've done a physical comparison and found the 50R to be almost 1" taller than the 45R tires. OE tires were 215 60R15 as far as I can tell from the O.E. info. supplied by The Trike Shop. Also, since I added a 6 degree rake kit the trike leans much more on tight turns. Thanks........... :Dorag:

Last edited:
Purchased a used 2003 Goldwing w/2004 Roadsmith Kit. Rear tires look to be 11 years old so I think I'm ready to replace them although tread depth is good. My question is concerning size. Currently are 215 45R17 and wondering how 215 50R17 would affect #1 ride and #2 mpg? I've done a physical comparison and found the 50R to be almost 1" taller than the 45R tires. OE tires were 215 60R15 as far as I can tell from the O.E. info. supplied by The Trike Shop. Also, since I added a 6 degree rake kit the trike leans much more on tight turns. Thanks........... :Dorag:

you might want to google a tire comparison to see how much it is going to throw off your speedo. The ride MIGHT be slightly better because of sidewall flex but it won't be much. Also a slight change in performance do to the over all ratio change. The comparison should give you some idea. About 3.5% I think

Thinking of adding the sway bar that Roadsmith makes. Seems to help from the people that have them.

Thanks for the responses. The (2) questions I'm concerned with are #1 RIDE COMFORT and #2 FUEL ECONOMY. 215/45R-17 vs 215/50R-17

I have 215/55R17's and the ride comfort is good. Mileage seems OK. It could be better but the speed affects the mileage a lot. The speedometer is exactly the same as the GPS shows.

Now for the downside of running oversize tires and the reason I will be looking at a smaller tire in the near future. When the wife and I ride locally there is no problem but when we pack for a trip I have to watch my speed going around curves or hitting dips in the road because the inside of the tire rubs on the coil springs. I have the preload and the shocks on the stiffest settings. The tire is just a little to wide.

After the info I decided to stay with the same size 215/45R 17 to be safe & secure. Existing tires were 11 years old w/lots of tread. Put on Firestone Wide Oval AS (W speed rated).
BTW Smilam, looks like your 215/55R 17 vs 215/45R 17 is about 1.9" taller :Dorag:

Thanks for the information. I have just been lazy and haven't checked into the tire size differences yet. As long as I don't get crazy and hit the corners to hard with it loaded down it doesn't rub and I still have a lot of tread left to wear down. I think I will look into the heavier sway bar as that sure can't hurt and may make it handle even better.

Back