To Trike or Not to Trike (Help purchasing first Trike)

Looks like a 68 model 1600 single port and matching year long axle swing to me.

Aftermarket distributor.

Post the number at the base of generator stand.

Move the fuel filter away from engine and distributor. That is the number 1 cause of fires in a vw.

Aftermarket distributor.

Move the fuel filter away from engine and distributor. That is the number 1 cause of fires in a vw.

Thanx for the safety observation (I want to get a glass & chrome fuel filter and will relocate current one til then ) Any ideas on simple additions (Chrome dipstick) or other Items that are easily obtained & installed ???

Aftermarket distributor.

Numbers (VW) HO4-4XXXX (With ZUNDFOLG 1-4-3-2) above

Ok.

An HO engine case is 67 model 1500cc single port.

It could be a late 66 model 1300.

It does not have the 67 only generator.

Either would be a long axle swing. Good average gearing, not to terribly low, can gear up with tire size.

Inspect the starter closely.

See the voltage stamping.

Aftermarket distributor.

#2 cause of fires in VWs is friction fit with no clamp of fuel line into carb. Also check for loose fuel inlet brass tube into carb body casting.

trike looks nice. I'd say yah done good :clapping:.

The engines steadily evolved over the years.

Check your starter stamping and look for voltage.

1500 is nothing special.

It is related to the 1600 but it still has the smaller oil passages. Not a good prospect for a hot rod but fine for stock.

If you take the engine off the trans let us see the flywheel and clutch.

Of course at 50 yrs old it could be cobbled together out of a whole lot of different year model parts.

Cant get to Starter , 66 (Split Year or Late 1300cc ) or 67 1500cc ALL sound good to me I'm really into Retro (Have a 1966 BSA Victor GP Special ) and love those years (66-7) ,any other way to check Engine displacement ? (Its 12V and Carb is a VW Solex) Yes I like fairly Mild or Stock (With a little Bling/Chrome bits on Engine) I'm just relearning Retro VW and Originality was Paramount in my mind .

Pull the heads and measure the bore.

1300 1500 1600 all had same stroke.

If it is a 66 1300 then it has been converted to 12v.

Distributor coil generator. The 6v starter holds up well on 12v. Cranks a bit fast.

Originally a 66 1300 was 6v.

And a 67 1500 was 12v.

Pull the heads and measure the bore.

1300 1500 1600 all had same stroke.

If it is a 66 1300 then it has been converted to 12v.

Distributor coil generator. The 6v starter holds up well on 12v. Cranks a bit fast.

Originally a 66 1300 was 6v.

And a 67 1500 was 12v.

I'm ok either Way (Most Trikers prolly have 1600 heavily breathed on dual port Power Plants ) and I'll show up with a Vanilla Single Port . I like the Idea of a Vintage Trike kept simple and kinda old school set up . It Runs & Drives and I will no doubt be refining it with the help of all you fine folks here ,thanks again ...:clapping:

Rode SO around neighborhood this morning on the VW Trike and it really runs great (Pulls second gear starts very easily and seems stable up to 40 mph . I'm thinking about draining the front fork oil and seeing if I can get fork seals, and some bars that are not swept back so far (perhaps 4-10 inches less ) and that are a little wider .

Rode Trike with SO one more time around neighborhood and now its being breathed on . (Oil Change found sludge on Plate & screen ,not as bad as some I've seen on Youtube vids but lower to middle tier sludge (Oil was in black column ) . Cleaned the Screen and the plate & bolts and worked out sludge built up around Screen Plate Ports in Engine and installed new gaskets & washers and bolted it back together , cleaned some of the bottom of the motor and have 3 quarts of Valvolene Silver bottle 30 wt. Racing Oil to refill . On fence about doing Valve adjust myself but it must be figured out straight away as the dirty oil makes me wonder (lose sleep) Plugs seem good and a New Empi Pod Air filter is on now, How would I check or change the Gear/Tranny oil ???

Rode Trike with SO one more time around neighborhood and now its being breathed on . (Oil Change found sludge on Plate & screen ,not as bad as some I've seen on Youtube vids but lower to middle tier sludge (Oil was in black column ) . Cleaned the Screen and the plate & bolts and worked out sludge built up around Screen Plate Ports in Engine and installed new gaskets & washers and bolted it back together , cleaned some of the bottom of the motor and have 3 quarts of Valvolene Silver bottle 30 wt. Racing Oil to refill . On fence about doing Valve adjust myself but it must be figured out straight away as the dirty oil makes me wonder (lose sleep) Plugs seem good and a New Empi Pod Air filter is on now, How would I check or change the Gear/Tranny oil ???

Theres a book by John Muir.....;Titled How to keep your Volkswagen alive for the complete idiot.....Back in the 70's i kept two bugs and a buggy alive using that book....

Up till then i never owned even one metic tool...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucy Barger
Back