@#$%^&* Torx Screws !

For many years, a impact screwdriver, the type you hit with a hammer, has been my friend,

especialy for carburetor screws. It shocks it loose enough for removal. Torx bits are also available from Snap On or Mac tools. Not a harbor freight item .

For many years, a impact screwdriver, the type you hit with a hammer, has been my friend,especialy for carburetor screws. It shocks it loose enough for removal. Torx bits are also available from Snap On or Mac tools. Not a harbor freight item .

I can't begin to say how many bolts, nuts, and screws I have loosened without damaging anything with mine it is an old KD tools I'm not sure if they are in business any longer and worth every penny 3/8" drive if you have the bits. wench safely Fred

For many years, a impact screwdriver, the type you hit with a hammer, has been my friend,

especialy for carburetor screws. It shocks it loose enough for removal. Torx bits are also available from Snap On or Mac tools. Not a harbor freight item .

I had one of those many years ago. It was made by Snap-on, had a case with an assortment of bits. GREAT tool!

It disappeared while I was overseas in the ARMY. Wish I had it back.

This looks like the one I had. I don't remember it being near as pricey tho. Even considering inflation.

https://store.snapon.com/Impact-Drivers-3-8--8-pc-3-8-Drive-Impact-Driver-Set-P631500.aspx

Back in my Caveman days...Street mechanic's 101...50's/60's My impact hammer was a Screw driver, And a ball peen hammer... You hold the screw driver in your right hand with the left hand holding the hammer, And as you'er turning the screw driver , Smack the screw driver on the head with the hammer.. If your right handed reverse the holding procedure... ...If you happen to have a helper then you just have to say to him... ;

When i nod my head then you hit it...:laugh:

As it turns out, there is an open recall on my 14' so set up appt. to get that done with local dealer. Asked the service writer if they would break those screws loose for me when they do the recall. Guy said no problem, so I think my issue is solved. They had to order part so may be a week or two but hopefully I have a solution.....:clapping:

Harbour freight

A visit to your local Harbour Freight store and you can pick up an electric impact tool for $20.

Thanks to all for the tips and comments. Since I don't own an impact wrench, guess a visit to my dealer is in order. Was hoping I could handle this install without help, it is fairly straightforward once those dang screws are out.........

I heated mine and used a tamper proof 40 on a 1/4" ratchet. No problems, didn't even have to loosen or remove mufflers. I replaced the original torx bolts with grade 8 bolts. My only expense was 2 bolts/washers and the the torx bit. The small diameter of the 1/4 inch drive is what allowed me to do this without loosening/removing mufflers and letting the bit to seat into the bolt head.

Back in my Caveman days...Street mechanic's 101...50's/60's My impact hammer was a Screw driver, And a ball peen hammer... You hold the screw driver in your right hand with the left hand holding the hammer, And as you'er turning the screw driver , Smack the screw driver on the head with the hammer.. If your right handed reverse the holding procedure... ...If you happen to have a helper then you just have to say to him... ;

When i nod my head then you hit it...:laugh:

:laugh: Your account brought back memories and a smile!

Those were the days when I was just happy to be wrenching, and tools like an impact wrench were so far out of the realm of financial possibility they were not even thought about! Simpler times. :)

Kevin

A visit to your local Harbour Freight store and you can pick up an electric impact tool for $20.

Free is a lot less than $20......:laugh: As I said, ended up getting the screws out for nothing. Finished installing the hitch today, took about 10 minutes after I had spent many hours trying to get those @#%^&* screws out. :mad: Turns out an impact wrench wouldn't have completely solved my problem as the mufflers had to be moved to even get at the screws, better left to the dealer.

I had one of those many years ago. It was made by Snap-on, had a case with an assortment of bits. GREAT tool!

It disappeared while I was overseas in the ARMY. Wish I had it back.

This looks like the one I had. I don't remember it being near as pricey tho. Even considering inflation.

https://store.snapon.com/Impact-Drivers-3-8--8-pc-3-8-Drive-Impact-Driver-Set-P631500.aspx

Vessel is the company that made these for Snap On. I still have mine from 45 years ago still works great.

[FONT=&quot]www.vessel.co.jp/english[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]www.vessel.co.jp/english[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I bought this impact driver in 1966 to get the engine covers off my Yamaha which were phillips (worse that torx!)

I use it all the time. :D

Bob :Dorag:

impact driver.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png