trailer wiring question

Need to install the plug on the bike.
2008 Honda gl1800 with Champion Kit.

The bikes came with a plugless pigtail under the back end.

6 wires.
brown
blue
yellow
green
black
red

the trailer only has 4 and a flat plug
white = ground
yellow
green
brown

(1) Question, which color is ground on the bike?
(2) Queston, do I hook everything eese color to color and leave 2 wires out?

I have looked at these all day long but I am still confused. The link you posted takes me to an adapter that has 5 wires on the bike side and 4 wires on the trailer side.

My trike has 6 wires and none of them are white, the link you posted showes a white grouod in the bike side.

I called Champion today but noone must be interested in helping unless it is with new sales. I am still waiting on a callback.

You would think that if a trailer hitch was installed from the get go it would have had a plug installed too.

The following is from the Champion installation book.
Running Lights - Brown
Brake Lights - Red
Right turn - Green
Left turn - Yellow
Accessory (12v+) Blue
Ground - Black

Thanks TRike leader, I guess I will get a 5-4 adapter and leave the bule wire out of the equation.

ON a second thought could I hardwire a 6 pin female plug and use a 6-4 plug adapter and it all be a little neater.

I would use a volt meter and check to see if all 6 of your wires are hook wired up.
They may have used a 6 wire harness and left one not hooked up.
I can not find any reference to 6 wires on the 1800 anywhere.

If you have a utility light in the trailer or want to hook up a 12volt cigar lighter on the trailer the blue wire would be a benefit. There are 6 wire to 4 wire adapters that can be used. :wtg:

I have a Champion Kit and if there is anything they did right it was wiring the trailer harness correctly.

Also, yes you can get a 6 pin to a 4 flat adapter.

I took a side bolt out of the hitch and mounted the plate for the plug vs drilling through the fiberglass. It took about 15 minutes.

Just be forewarned that the 6-pin to 4-pin, or even the 5-pin to 4-pin adapters both will have an electronic converter in line to make the brake signal wiring work with through the same lamps as the turn signals. No big deal, but a few more bucks cost-wise.

Got er done today.

5 wire to 4 wire converter @ AutoZone $9
4 wire snap together end @ AutoZone $6

The hitch had mounting holes that was an exact match to the converter.
Left the blue wire out of the mix.

Back