Transmission Oil Change Interval

I used to follow the 10K service. But have switched to all three holes every 5,000 miles. I use Castrol Actevo 20W50. It's part synthetic. You can purchase 3 one gallon jugs for $65 bucks on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime. I also use Bel Ray 85W140 in the tranny with no trouble finding neutral, and Bel Ray primary oil. I'd rather be preventative than face a major repair. Just my 2 cents worth.

I do all 3 at the same time. 5000 miles. I have a bunch of bikes and that has always been my rule. Not sure what the deal will be with the M8 and the migration issue. Just traded my 2018 Street Glide Special in for a new Tri-Glide. I had 5000 at trade in and used the dino Harley oil and Formula+ at 1000. At the time I saw no indication of the migration issue. We'll see with the Tri-Glide, I like synthetics but hate the thought of migrating a heavier oil from primary to engine or vice versa.

Side note: Harley says mixing SYN3 and dino oils can cause tranny wear, if I read that correctly. So I may rethink my oil choices from the past.

I do all 3 at the same time. 5000 miles. I have a bunch of bikes and that has always been my rule. Not sure what the deal will be with the M8 and the migration issue. Just traded my 2018 Street Glide Special in for a new Tri-Glide. I had 5000 at trade in and used the dino Harley oil and Formula+ at 1000. At the time I saw no indication of the migration issue. We'll see with the Tri-Glide, I like synthetics but hate the thought of migrating a heavier oil from primary to engine or vice versa.

Side note: Harley says mixing SYN3 and dino oils can cause tranny wear, if I read that correctly. So I may rethink my oil choices from the past.

SYN3 is NOT a full synthetic oil so Dino oil should mix OK with it

That said I have NEVER run engine oil in any of my trannys and never had any problems

Harley has a new Tranny lube that you can run in the tranny and primary you may check this out
62600091.png

I recently changed what goes in my tranny.

My last couple of Harley's I just dumped Syn-3 in all three holes. It was easier and it seemed to work fine. Then I got the 2019 M8 and discovered I had a migration issue. Along with that I think the tranny in the M8 just makes more noise overall.

Service guy at Four Rivers (Paducah), who got me in and took care of my migration issue this week, rides a 2001 Harley. He has used Bellray in his tranny and has something like 300,000 miles on that bike! Since they were doing the migration kit I had them do the 10,000 miles service and asked for his recommendation. So I left there with Syn-3 in the engine and primary, and Bellray in the tranny.

Rode just over 320 miles home in 90 degree temps and there was a huge difference. Tranny was quieter and even though it still had some of the "Harley clunk" when shifting, it shifted much smoother and N was much easier to find.

Has anyone used this and if so do you notice a difference in the primary ?

SYN3 is NOT a full synthetic oil so Dino oil should mix OK with it

That said I have NEVER run engine oil in any of my trannys and never had any problems

Harley has a new Tranny lube that you can run in the tranny and primary you may check this out

Anyone tried this in the primary ?
62600091.png

Has anyone used this in there primary and if so what do you think about it >?

I personally don't know anyone using the new HD tranny/primary lube. I currently have Redline Shockproof in the tranny & it's the best I have tried, so far, after 5,000 miles of use, it looks perfect & the tranny just loves it. I have HD Formula + in the primary & have 1 more quart to use, then it gets Redline primary lube.

If I was concerned about thr tranny to primary migration issue, I would run the same in both holes. I had Lucas full synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil in all 3 for a while and my FW performed well & better than the HD Syn 3 they used at the 1,000 mile service. The Redline is just better for the tranny.

I easily have enough fluids for the next 2-3 years & need to stop finding good deals.:cool:

In honor of Jack's love for oil threads, I will be starting a 2020 holiday oil thread around Xmas, so stay tuned. I would like for everyone to chime in with their favorites.

Red Line 3 Holes

End of Oct 2018, I switch to Red Line 20W50 Engine, Shockproof for Tranny and their Gear Oil for the Primary. I've since put a total of 8,933 miles on the trike, with two oil changes in less than 5k increments. When last checked over a week ago, the trans fluid still had that same vibrant pepto bismol color.

So unless I put on a lot more miles under really harsh riding conditions or problems surface during periodic checks, I'm sticking with 12 mos or 10k for tranny and primary fluid changes.

It doesn't appear to be broke, so no reason for me spend extra dollars to fix a nonproblem.

Reactions: MDO
I personally don't know anyone using the new HD tranny/primary lube. I currently have Redline Shockproof in the tranny & it's the best I have tried, so far, after 5,000 miles of use, it looks perfect & the tranny just loves it. I have HD Formula + in the primary & have 1 more quart to use, then it gets Redline primary lube.

If I was concerned about thr tranny to primary migration issue, I would run the same in both holes. I had Lucas full synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil in all 3 for a while and my FW performed well & better than the HD Syn 3 they used at the 1,000 mile service. The Redline is just better for the tranny.

I run Redline 20-60 in the motor , Shockproof heavy in the trans and Formula +in the primary, I have been wanting to try HD Gear Oil 80-140 in the primary, Local dealer still does not carry it. But I would like to hear from anyone that is using it in there primary and what they have to say about it. Thanks Doc

I easily have enough fluids for the next 2-3 years & need to stop finding good deals.:cool:

In honor of Jack's love for oil threads, I will be starting a 2020 holiday oil thread around Xmas, so stay tuned. I would like for everyone to chime in with their favorites.

I run Redline 20-60 in the motor , Shockproof heavy in the trans and Formula +in the primary, I have been wanting to try HD Gear Oil 80-140 in the primary, Local dealer still does not carry it. But I would like to hear from anyone that is using it in there primary and what they have to say about it. Thanks Doc

With my prepaid maintenance plan at Space Coast HD, they change all 3 holes with Syn 3 (or your preferred) every 5K. Now that SCHD has opened Miracle City HD , right down the road from me, I renewed for another 20K plan.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png