Trike Front Tire

Greenjeans

5+ Posts
Sep 11, 2023
Waterford, WI
[FONT=&quot]Replaced the front tire on my 2020 Trike after 11,000 miles. I took the wheel off and had an independent dealer mount and balance the new tire. He said I could have gotten another 2,000 miles out of it. Per my depth gauge that would ne about right. I went with a Dunlop American Elite as I had good luck with them on my 2012 Ultra. These tires are a 2 compound design. A harder center compound and softer outer compound. Should wear better than the stock D402 which is only a single compound. [/FONT]

Replaced the front tire on my 2020 Trike after 11,000 miles. I took the wheel off and had an independent dealer mount and balance the new tire. He said I could have gotten another 2,000 miles out of it. Per my depth gauge that would ne about right. I went with a Dunlop American Elite as I had good luck with them on my 2012 Ultra. These tires are a 2 compound design. A harder center compound and softer outer compound. Should wear better than the stock D402 which is only a single compound.

I have a 2021 Ultra that was converted to a trike. I changed my tire at 10K - and still have 4/32 left - which is a lot. I could have probably gone another 10K miles.

The reason I changed is because I wanted to install the Avon Trike tire. This tire has more middle thread and is also a radial. In my earlier trike days, we use to run a rear tire backwards - does essentially the same thing.

I see you are in Waterford - so not too far from me. I spend a bit of time at Arsenal - perhaps we have run across each other?

Have you considered - or have you joined the local HOG chapter. Great group of folks. Why not come out and ride with us

Don

Replaced the front tire on my 2020 Trike after 11,000 miles. I took the wheel off and had an independent dealer mount and balance the new tire. He said I could have gotten another 2,000 miles out of it. Per my depth gauge that would ne about right. I went with a Dunlop American Elite as I had good luck with them on my 2012 Ultra. These tires are a 2 compound design. A harder center compound and softer outer compound. Should wear better than the stock D402 which is only a single compound.

At my most recent tire change I had my shop install a Dunlop American Elite as well.

So far after nearly 4k the results have been very good. They handle rain very well, and seem to exhibit less cornering chatter than the D402’s. Steering is smooth.

However my next front tire will be ann Avon Cobra Trike… All those great reviews must mean something. Their tread depth is much deeper than any Dunlop… hmmm…

I have a 2021 Ultra that was converted to a trike. I changed my tire at 10K - and still have 4/32 left - which is a lot. I could have probably gone another 10K miles.

The reason I changed is because I wanted to install the Avon Trike tire. This tire has more middle thread and is also a radial. In my earlier trike days, we use to run a rear tire backwards - does essentially the same thing.

I see you are in Waterford - so not too far from me. I spend a bit of time at Arsenal - perhaps we have run across each other?

Have you considered - or have you joined the local HOG chapter. Great group of folks. Why not come out and ride with us

Don

I do live in Waterford but Waterford Wisconsin. I only belonged to HOG when it came with the purchase of my new Trike or other new Harley's I bought. I have not found a need or benefit for me. The American Elite is a 2 compound tire with a harder center section, so it should give me good milage. I was also looking at the Avon for the same reason. The American Elite is a Harley approved tire so that's another reason i went with it. Recently I was in upper Wisconsin, Tomahawk, for the Fall Rally. Beautiful north woods riding. Harley has plants in Tomahawk where they make the plastic parts and you can tour the facilities.

At my most recent tire change I had my shop install a Dunlop American Elite as well.

So far after nearly 4k the results have been very good. They handle rain very well, and seem to exhibit less cornering chatter than the D402’s. Steering is smooth.

However my next front tire will be ann Avon Cobra Trike… All those great reviews must mean something. Their tread depth is much deeper than any Dunlop… hmmm…

I ran the American Elites on my 2012 Ultra and they lasted at least twice as long as the stock Dunlops. The Avon is also a good choice as it is designed for trikes. When I pulled the front wheel off I noticed there were no balance weights from the factory. Very strange. I did balance the new tire and it is certainly smoother. When reinstalling the wheel i torqued the calibers, axile and pinch bolt to the required specs.

I do live in Waterford but Waterford Wisconsin. I only belonged to HOG when it came with the purchase of my new Trike or other new Harley's I bought. I have not found a need or benefit for me. The American Elite is a 2 compound tire with a harder center section, so it should give me good milage. I was also looking at the Avon for the same reason. The American Elite is a Harley approved tire so that's another reason i went with it. Recently I was in upper Wisconsin, Tomahawk, for the Fall Rally. Beautiful north woods riding. Harley has plants in Tomahawk where they make the plastic parts and you can tour the facilities.

LOL - I saw Waterford, WI and my eyes automatically turned it upside down to MI. Sounds like a beautiful area. I have to find out where it is - and maybe take a little trip the next time I head to Milwaukee (probably next year).

If ever coming my way, please drop a note.

Thanks

LOL - I saw Waterford, WI and my eyes automatically turned it upside down to MI. Sounds like a beautiful area. I have to find out where it is - and maybe take a little trip the next time I head to Milwaukee (probably next year).

If ever coming my way, please drop a note.

Thanks

You can look up Waterford WI. It's about 25/30 miles southwest of Milwaukee. Waterford has several lakes nearby and the Fox River passes through it. Rochester WI is actually where I live but have a Waterford mailing address, so I just use that. I sometimes refer to Rochester as a Waterford suburb as they are connected. Rochester has that small town charm and the Fox River is across the street from my house. Very scenic area. I try to stay out of Milwaukee as much as possible. Just don't like big cities. Last time I was in Milwaukee was for the 120th festivities and could wait to get back.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png