Trike position in ride formation

Yo! I have ridden a trike for over 10 years and have ridden in all positions in a group. I prefer the frorward rididng positions--2, 3, 4. I have never heard a complaint from the two-wheelers as I have earned my spurs with them. I am considerate of my fellow two-wheelers whene we pull off the road knowing their needs for slowing, stopping, and.or excelerating. Goldfever

Love this forum, and all the different people here!

Hey Minnleeboy,
I stumbled onto this thread, and I like it. I was recently at a huge annual event, and a good friend organized a "come one, come all, the more the merrier" group ride. Over 100 bikes. He notified the local police and had some of his friends from a MC Club throwin' road blocks at lights until we got outta the main resort town area. I felt like I was in a movie. Other than Rolling Thunder, this was the largest group I have ever ridden with, and this was my first ever group ride on three wheels, and like you, I was the only "Tricycle" (what one guy called my baby, once...) there. So I asked my friend early on, "where do you want me?", and his response was "wherever you want to be". Now, this guy is a H-D dealer, long time rider, teaches MC courses, and is super involved with charity rides/events more than any person I know, so he knows more in his pinky than I could ever learn in a lifetime. So respect what he says.

My point is, if there was some "law" about Trike position in group formation, this guy would know it and would have told me. Perhaps because we were at the beach and the roads were wider, more straight, and basically only two of them he was just being more casual.

I do agree with Yogisan though now, after hearing his reasons for wanting to ride in the back, with safety being the best. I never thought about it that way.

I was positioned mid formation and tried to keep to one or the other side of the lane as if I was on two wheels (just a natural formation thing I am used to doing I guess) and never once did I feel as if I was crowding the guy in front of me, holding up the line, causing sight issues or stealing anyone's thunder.

I think the person that told you that has other, deeper issues and I think it was nice of you to not challenge him. You should be commended for that alone, but to accommodate his wish and actually get in the back gets you a gold star in my book. I could learn something from a guy like you, and probably need to. Because, had that been me, and someone was being snotty, and giving me orders other than the road captain, club member or not, would have gotten my proverbial FO response. But then, I have issues myself and deal with those on a as needed basis.........

I say if it ever comes up again, you just come on over here to Maryland and ride with us. You can ride in any part of the formation you like to.:cool:

Rob

Don't let that one guy's inability to understand trikes get you down. Like many others I have rode trikes for over 12 years and still have a 2 wheeler. Have rode in several different size groups all the way from the front road captain to behind the tail gunner. With my Valk CSC conversion I can push crotch rockets in the twistys and stop much faster than bikes. Personally it is a safety thing with me. If a bike is behind me I make sure it is some one with riding experience and they know that I can stop in a shorter distance than they can. Other wise I prefer to ride in the rear. Some groups insist that you do and others don't care. You did the right thing by not putting up a fuss. Some people just don't like trikes and would rather not have them near. I look at it as it is their loss and not mine, and they are not worth befriending. tumbleweed

I won't share what I would have told that person :)))) There are NO written rules on where Trikes should be. I just call it Three Wheel envy :) I am a road captain so I "LEAD" rides hmmmm . so where does that put my Trike?
Skuuter here in the Forum leads rides all the time. should he lead from the back? Nuff said..

Tony T:Shrug:

I ride where the RC wants me. If it's a PGR run I normally ride right behind the RC as I carsry large flags. If it's a local charity run I ride in the center of the lane so the staggered 2-wheelers behind me are outside my rear wheels and are able to see the staggered 2-wheelers in front of me. That is unless the RC prefers I be at the rear.

If I'm riding with the local guys I always tailgun as I carry an air compressor and "jump pack".

Thanks for all the feed-back on this issue. I now understand that it is a saftey issue sometimes. I now go to the Road Captain and ask where he or she wants the Trikes in the formation. I no longer feel left out and I enjoy my "TRIKE" and my fellow riders.

Take-care
TRIKE-ON-AND-PROSPER

MINNLEEBOY

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png