Trike sat for 2 years

Knees were getting weaker as I got older and was not feeling safe on 2 wheels. Been riding for over 50 years. Shopped for a trike and found what I thought was a good deal and purchased a 2015 in May at a Harley dealership in Pittsburgh. Has a lot of added extras that are actually Harley parts. Has screaming Eagle slip ons and air cleaner. Runs pretty good. I just had a local dealer print out a Harley service record. This is a very valuable thing to have done. Probably should have had the original dealer do it but was caught up in the excitement of getting a new toy.

Turns out the trike is from California. All the service was performed at a dealer in California at the correct intervals. But they stopped 2 years ago. Then the next service was the 15,000 mile service done in Pittsburgh right before I bought it. The bike only had 40 miles put on it in that 2 year span. They put a new front tire and new battery in Pittsburgh. Found out the ECM was mapped when the pipes and air cleaner was added back in 2017. It has a lot of power. But now I’m worried about the 2 years that it sat. Everything seems to work. I did purchase the Harley warranty for 3 years. Should I be concerned?

I do want to change the rear shocks. Probably going with DK’s.

Sorry this was so long lol.

Knees were getting weaker as I got older and was not feeling safe on 2 wheels. Been riding for over 50 years. Shopped for a trike and found what I thought was a good deal and purchased a 2015 in May at a Harley dealership in Pittsburgh. Has a lot of added extras that are actually Harley parts. Has screaming Eagle slip ons and air cleaner. Runs pretty good. I just had a local dealer print out a Harley service record. This is a very valuable thing to have done. Probably should have had the original dealer do it but was caught up in the excitement of getting a new toy. Turns out the trike is from California. All the service was performed at a dealer in California at the correct intervals. But they stopped 2 years ago. Then the next service was the 15,000 mile service done in Pittsburgh right before I bought it. The bike only had 40 miles put on it in that 2 year span. They put a new front tire and new battery in Pittsburgh. Found out the ECM was mapped when the pipes and air cleaner was added back in 2017. It has a lot of power. But now I’m worried about the 2 years that it sat. Everything seems to work. I did purchase the Harley warranty for 3 years. Should I be concerned?

Rick..Welcome to Trike Talk…👍👍… Hey Rick, You got the warrantee what are you worried about just ride the Trike and if anything breaks it is covered ..If it ain’t broke Don’t fix it.

Knees were getting weaker as I got older and was not feeling safe on 2 wheels. Been riding for over 50 years. Shopped for a trike and found what I thought was a good deal and purchased a 2015 in May at a Harley dealership in Pittsburgh. Has a lot of added extras that are actually Harley parts. Has screaming Eagle slip ons and air cleaner. Runs pretty good. I just had a local dealer print out a Harley service record. This is a very valuable thing to have done. Probably should have had the original dealer do it but was caught up in the excitement of getting a new toy. Turns out the trike is from California. All the service was performed at a dealer in California at the correct intervals. But they stopped 2 years ago. Then the next service was the 15,000 mile service done in Pittsburgh right before I bought it. The bike only had 40 miles put on it in that 2 year span. They put a new front tire and new battery in Pittsburgh. Found out the ECM was mapped when the pipes and air cleaner was added back in 2017. It has a lot of power. But now I’m worried about the 2 years that it sat. Everything seems to work. I did purchase the Harley warranty for 3 years. Should I be concerned?

I totally agree with rhino 2, ride it and enjoy it, drive it like you stole it, then if nothing happens you are golden, I'm sure the dealer checked everything out or least I would think so.

All for now Trampas

Hi Rick, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

At the very least you will want to flush your brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid

Do you have an owners manual?

Maintenance service intervals are in the appendix section

Hi Rick, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

At the very least you will want to flush your brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid

Do you have an owners manual?

Maintenance service intervals are in the appendix section

I would think the dealer would have did this before selling it, Ricr 185 you might want to ask the dealer if this was done.

All for now Trampas

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for such a quick reply! I don’t have a service manual yet. Just have one for my last 09 Harley Ultra. I plan to get one. Thanks again. I have to read up how to post pics on here.

Look at it as it was taken to therapy after storage , your job is to make it exercise. The more ya exercise the better ya work . :scooter:

Just traded my 14 same exact color for a 21 in all vivid black. This on only had 1976 miles on it so it sat a lot. Runs like a Charm. Ride it, change the motor oil at the intervals, keep up with the little things.

Thanks for all the advice! Already have reservations at 4 different bike rallies for ‘24. Ohio Bike Week, Gettysburg bike week, Geneva on the lake and Biketoberfest. Put about 5000 miles on it since picking it up. Going to add Next Gen shocks over the winter and a new front tire.

- -

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png