Trunk door

I must be lucky. I hear about it often but it has never happened to me. No lube, no adjustment but I don't slam it shut.

Trunk on freewheeler will not open

Cable came out of position and would not open rear trunk lid. Harley says to take off right tire and fender and go thought hole to fix problem. Forget doing all that when it is a lot easier to cut 2" hole in floor and take long screwdriver and push cable back in place then open trunk lid, and anchor cable into its place with zap straps. Next just cut aluminum plate to cover hole and screw in place. That was a lot easier to do, at least it was for me and if you have another problem with the lock you already have a access hole there.

Cable came out of position and would not open rear trunk lid. Harley says to take off right tire and fender and go thought hole to fix problem. Forget doing all that when it is a lot easier to cut 2" hole in floor and take long screwdriver and push cable back in place then open trunk lid, and anchor cable into its place with zap straps. Next just cut aluminum plate to cover hole and screw in place. That was a lot easier to do, at least it was for me and if you have another problem with the lock you already have a access hole there.

WOW! What a PITA - - - either way.

I didn't know there was a cable on the Freewheeler lock. Is that common problem?

WOW! What a PITA - - - either way.

I didn't know there was a cable on the Freewheeler lock. Is that common problem?

If you examine all the parts that used for that lock and handle It’s akin to a Rube Goldberg contraption... Just look at the lock and handle on a Pennsylvania Dutch homeowners Barn that’s what Harley should be using just make the handle a little fancier and be done with it

Just 2 moving parts...

Had this problem on my 16. Dealer adjusted the latch & I watched. Closed much easier & 46,000 miles later , no prob. When I got the 20, I adjusted the latch & have not had a prob, so far. Never slam.

Mine has popped open a couple times, even though it was locked. I think railroad tracks got me. To retain the door closed, I used a small bungee cord. I looped one end around one of the bolts that attach the tour pack in the top of the trunk compartment. I wasn't very imaginative on how to attach it to the door, but used the hook end of another bungee to make an attachment point. I tied a knot in one end of the bungee until I had the tension about right. It now holds the door shut even if the latch pops open. Really easy to attach and detach. Not elegant, but it works. Pardon the dust - I live on a gravel road.

View attachment 92216

View attachment 92217

I liked this idea. So I put it together today. My rear door fell open shortly after purchased. I lubed the push button and it never happened again. However, It was now embedded in my brain that it could fall open again at some point. so this eased my mind for sure. Thanks for the Idea!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Had to cut bungie to make customize fit. Use a small zip tie on the end of the bungie cord to prevent spring from coming off.

Last edited:
Don't slam the door. Lots of plastic in the lock housing that can suffer from repeated slamming. Check adjustment. Biggest thing I've noticed is you can close door and hear it click but if you push in again and compress the weather stripping you can feel and hear latch totally engage. I got tired of leaving fingerprints on the clean door so I bought a stick on caliper insert medallion and placed it appropriately and use it to push on to seat the latch fully.

This seems what caused the door problem on my neighbor's 2016 Tri. We'll just finish installing the brake pads and black rhino wheels on his Colorado before we check his Tri. Hope it's just the spring.

This seems what caused the door problem on my neighbor's 2016 Tri. We'll just finish installing the brake pads and black rhino wheels on his Colorado before we check his Tri. Hope it's just the spring.

I'm not one for slamming anything because of the consequences. I total agree with you on that. Mine fell open that one time and I probably had it 3 weeks at the time. I lubed the push button and that fixed it up till this point in time. I just added the spring/bungie for my own mental state of mind. And it was fun installing it.

I lube ours every spring no issues 09'. You have to maintain or have someone maintain it easy. Remember if it's a Harley you must pay attention or they will get your attention $$$$. Ride safe Fred

Happened to my wife on her 2011 Tri when it was new a few times. As Fred said, lubricate it once in a while. The button gets kind of sluggish or sticky feeling and it does not latch good. A shot of WD40 or similar works very well. Happened to me on my 2019 Tri last weekend, got the tool roll out and sprayed mine and hers. Also we pull the retaining cables to the center of the trunk before closing, other wise they get pinched a lot. I like Rhinos idea with the bungee cord.

We always lock ours and they have still popped open locked. Less than a handful but still not something I want to worry about and the lube works.

What do you use for lube?

Not but in but... I used an aerosol high temp graphite. And wiped off the extra. Fred

Arnie KY on your back door ???? Do you put it in the hole or on the think that sticks out ?????

Haha the outie. But I was serious, I have used that plus I have used dielectric grease, & silicone o ring lube. all worked the same with ky lasting longer. try it, just a dab will do it

Back