Turning radius for trike

I have a friend building or should say rebuilding his trike. He is stretching it an e enormous amount and putting a huge amount of rake. From what I can see it is going to take a football field to turn around. Is there any type formula to use to figure out I guess it would be the turning radius. I know my Roadhawk turns on a dime. Just wondering. I don't think he realizes what the turning radius is going to be. Thanks.

Hmm, a formula for that would be way over my pay grade, haa. But actually my long springer (53" long with 52 degree rake) turns tighter than I would have guessed. I don't have any kind of steering "stops" besides the triple tree hitting the frame, so it will turn close to 90 degrees. It's never been an issue turning into tight parking spots, or anyplace else. The no "stops" is why mine turns tight, probably wouldn't with factory type neck with stops.

More important would be the trail. As you both may know, a wrong trail can end very bad. I'm guessing your friend has done his homework that goes with building forks.

How far along is he with the build? Sounds interesting, maybe I'll see yall on the road one day.

PICTURES, WE LOVE PICTURES!!! See if you can get your friend to register and post some pictures of the rebuild. As anyone whose been here for any length of time knows, the Peanut Gallery comments are overwhelmingly positive and helpful.

Just because it is long does not mean it caint turn.

But the geometry has to be right. You are not just going to lean out a motorcycle front end and expect it to work.

Also on youtube....look up onetonmagoo.

Conrad has put a lot of his stuff over the years on there. He likes the long low front ends. You can probably pick up some ideas there.

Back