under fairing wind

mrsnipy

5+ Posts
Nov 8, 2022
Catawissa
Hi all after riding a ultra classic i moved on to a free wheeler.First thing i missed was a fairing so i added one with stereo but im getting alot of wind from around the tank below the fairing. is it because of the different rake on the free wheeler ? i added front fork deflectors helped some but still have a lot of uplift wind on me. any ideas ? i cant add side deflectors to the fairing it wont fit.

when I had my 2016 Free Wheeler I was on the freeway doing 90 mph it was windy out, I were a 3/4 helmet with the sun visor it got ripped off the helmet from the wind, I had done all the tank lifts, fork deflectors, fairing. it seemed like it had more wind than 2 wheel bike with no windshield. To me the free Wheeler was a great ride around town, but on the Highway it Sucked. I traded it for a Tri Glide that I had for about a year.

when I had my 2016 Free Wheeler I was on the freeway doing 90 mph it was windy out, I were a 3/4 helmet with the sun visor it got ripped off the helmet from the wind, I had done all the tank lifts, fork deflectors, fairing. it seemed like it had more wind than 2 wheel bike with no windshield. To me the free Wheeler was a great ride around town, but on the Highway it Sucked. I traded it for a Tri Glide that I had for about a year.

There is something about the Freewheeler setup that made me get my first ever fairing/windshield combo and I'm going back 56 years of two wheelers. The wind blast is just completely different. I do a lot of long haul highway riding, always have and have encountered some nasty cross winds, but never lost anything and all I ever wear is a cheapo half helmet with an even cheaper sun visor brim. Maybe it's the Memphis Shades fairing with 5" windshield that just works for my 6' body height and factory seat, but I really don't experience any particularly unusual wind buffeting or turbulence at Interstate speeds. If your taller than me and use a "touring" seat that's got 2 or 3 more inches of padding, your head could easily be a half a foot higher above the windshield putting you right back where you were without the windshield or worse. The windshield may actually be directing the wind right into your face. It took me months to get my combo worked out and then I had to modify the fairing mounts to get it where I wanted it. I love my '21 Freewheeler, it's a blank slate for me to tailor as I like.

003.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Draven0914
Back