Using 1st Gear as a Brake

I do leave it in 1st but I also have 2 small wheel chocks. I read some where on here about using velcro around the front brake , i plan to carry a piece .

When I'm uncomfortable about whether or not it might roll I just stick a rock or something behind a tire. I've seen some mini chocks that I intend to buy though. On a recent trip out west my trike actually rolled into a car after we left it (no damage). Come to find out the wifey stepped on the heel end of the shifter when she stepped off. Sad part is I have a parking brake.

I do leave it in 1st but I also have 2 small wheel chocks. I read some where on here about using velcro around the front brake , i plan to carry a piece .

I have carried that Velcro strap for years and never had a need for it or the collapsible wheel chock I also carry. I've heard some say extended use of the strap will harm the brakes. Can't confirm or deny that. The chock is a sure thing. :xszpv::xszpv:

Every bike I owned, And the two Trikes I owned, I've always left them in first gear.
Never had them roll off.. Even with stick shift cars..

I have carried that Velcro strap for years and never had a need for it or the collapsible wheel chock I also carry. I've heard some say extended use of the strap will harm the brakes. Can't confirm or deny that. The chock is a sure thing. :xszpv::xszpv:

I too use the Velcro strap If I park on a Steep incline. Don't really see how this would hurt the brakes??:confused: Most of the time I just use 1st gear.:Shrug:

Never had a problem using 1st gear for most parking situations, but always carry a few velcro straps in the trunk. Only felt the need to use the strap twice.
I think we had a discussion a while ago about various ways of parking in the General Fourm- "Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info"
Whatever you do, don't use reverse as a parking brake! That I think is also addressed in the same forum.

I always use first gear for parking. I also carry a couple of small 3 inch wooden triangles 1 inch thick left over from a project. Living in Ky you never know when you might have to park on a hill. If I use the triangles I usually don't worry about picking them up and pitch in a couple more when I get home. I know you can buy a parking brake for some of the trike kits.

I always use 1st gear when I part whether I'm on a hill or not. I have a Velcro strap wrapped around my right grip however I have never used it. I also have a park brake on my RS and have never used it. I avoid parking on hills where the transmission wont hold it in place.
Good luck and happy riding.

Always leave mine in 1st gear.

I also use a tie-wrap loop that I hook over the right grip and front brake lever.

It is sized to slip over the brake reservoir - keeps it handy.

You have a reverse, I always just put mine in neutral and then engage reverse. Works just like a parking brake. I have parked on steep slopes and it never rolls.

You have a reverse, I always just put mine in neutral and then engage reverse. Works just like a parking brake. I have parked on steep slopes and it never rolls.

That is a big no no. You will destroy your starter doing that.

here is an article from last years wing world magazine.

I can’t find this particular subject covered in the owner’s manual, but it’s some of the worst advice I’ve ever heard a Honda Service associate give to a Gold Wing owner. Firstly, reverse is not a transmission gear. It engages the starter motor with the output shaft using a series of shafts, gears, sensors and pulleys. The transmission itself will actually be in neutral, and any significant force acting fore or aft on the bike such as parking on a steep grade or a theft attempt could damage components in the system. If the bike is on a steep grade when shut off in reverse, it may not disengage without first relieving the force by pushing the bike upslope slightly. Secondly (as you know), unlike on the GL1500, the GL1800 reverse mechanism will not operate without electrical power. Yes, this makes it impossible to get the bike out of reverse without the key.

But what happens if the owner returns to the bike and finds the battery dead or for some reason the reverse button doesn’t work? If you’re out somewhere in the boondocks, you could be boarding the Shoe Leather Express. Both of these scenarios have been reported to me numerous times, and I’ve even responded to several urgent pleas for help when the owner had simply forgotten he’d turned the bike off in reverse and his engine now won’t start. So do as you like, but at least you know the possible unintended consequences. Regarding the damage caused by the disc lock, this can easily be avoided by placing a red ribbon somewhere in your line of sight when seated on the bike as a reminder to remove the lock — or, for that matter, as a reminder that you left the bike in reverse.

Stu

That is a big no no. You will destroy your starter doing that.

here is an article from last years wing world magazine.

I can’t find this particular subject covered in the owner’s manual, but it’s some of the worst advice I’ve ever heard a Honda Service associate give to a Gold Wing owner. Firstly, reverse is not a transmission gear. It engages the starter motor with the output shaft using a series of shafts, gears, sensors and pulleys. The transmission itself will actually be in neutral, and any significant force acting fore or aft on the bike such as parking on a steep grade or a theft attempt could damage components in the system. If the bike is on a steep grade when shut off in reverse, it may not disengage without first relieving the force by pushing the bike upslope slightly. Secondly (as you know), unlike on the GL1500, the GL1800 reverse mechanism will not operate without electrical power. Yes, this makes it impossible to get the bike out of reverse without the key. But what happens if the owner returns to the bike and finds the battery dead or for some reason the reverse button doesn’t work? If you’re out somewhere in the boondocks, you could be boarding the Shoe Leather Express.

Both of these scenarios have been reported to me numerous times, and I’ve even responded to several urgent pleas for help when the owner had simply forgotten he’d turned the bike off in reverse and his engine now won’t start. So do as you like, but at least you know the possible unintended consequences. Regarding the damage caused by the disc lock, this can easily be avoided by placing a red ribbon somewhere in your line of sight when seated on the bike as a reminder to remove the lock — or, for that matter, as a reminder that you left the bike in reverse.

Stu

Above is very true..... +1 Heed the warning.... I have seen a Trike in Colorado Springs that someone was sitting on (also a NO No) it was I guess in Reverse and they had two kids bouncing around in the passenger seat and they mashed the REV. Button and back she went luckily he had his fork locked so it went in a slight circle and hit a car next to it.... luckily no one fell off.... bystanders saw it all happen and of course by the time the owners got back to the trike it was on a roll back and the police where there, what a cluster.... always leave it in gear, if you have a parking brake use it and lock your bars so it won't get to traffic... Just FYI

I was actually told by the tech when I bought my tike to use the reverse as the parking brake. Have been doing it since I got it. They build tons of trikes so I figured he knew what he was talking about.

I was actually told by the tech when I bought my tike to use the reverse as the parking brake. Have been doing it since I got it. They build tons of trikes so I figured he knew what he was talking about.

:laugh:You might want to ask your TECH if he will replace reverse for FREE when you loose it.:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png