Warranty/Extended Protection - No Black Listing

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
I know I am posting this in the Tri Glide sub-forum, but it also applies to Freewheelers. Unfortunately it does not apply to conversions.

There is a new kind of Warranty available. aka Extended Service Plan (ESP)

There are a couple revolutionary benefits, and one very important benefit that we used to get from Harley, that are no longer available from Harley. PLUS, it is less expensive.

New Benefits:

1. All benefits can be available from Day 1 on a new bike. This means that the overly restrictive, EPA controlled, HD factory warranty does not need to even be taken into consideration.

This ESP will cover "everything" from day one...no waiting for the factory warranty to expire so that you can get better warranty benefits. This ESP runs concurrently with the factory warranty.

Some will say this is a waste, they have paid for the factory warranty (when buying the bike) and now are paying for the extended warranty for the same time period.

WELL....that used to be true. But ever since HD got involved with the government on their warranty, they have so many restrictions on their factory warranty that many times it is worse than useless.

How can it be worse than useless? Simple...you put some non-epa approved slip-ons on your Trike. Then months later take it to the Dealership because a sensor in your EFI went out. The dealership is obligated to report your non epa slip-ons to Harley corporate, at which point the ENTIRE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY is voided on your Trike. The malfunctioning sensor will not be replaced and no warranty work will ever be done on your entire powertrain ever again.

With this new ESP, the sensor will be replaced, no deductible, and your entire warranty is still in effect.

2. There is a Wear and Tear rider (additional cost) that can be added that provides coverage on parts where operating performance has been diminished as a result of normal wear and aging.

This is particularly useful to high mileage riders.

Benefit we used to get from Harley that we no longer get from HD, but do get out of this ESP:

It used to be that if we added a PowerVision, or cams, or an air cleaner or exhaust, that unless the part we added caused some part to fail on the Trike, then the part was covered under warranty.

eg. I add Rush Slip-ons to my Trike and 6 months go by and my inner primary bearing starts leaking. In the past, that was no problem, because the Rush Slip-ons did NOT cause the inner primary bearing to leak. So HD would fix it under warranty.

NOT any more. Since 2017, if the above occurs, HD will not fix the leaking primary.

With the new ESP, it is covered.

To me, as a Tri Glide owner and a Softail owner, this is huge. These bikes can get very expensive, very fast, when certain items fail.

Because of that I will not own a Twin Cam or an M8 without a warranty...But, since the factory warranty & the HD ESP have such drastic and illogical restrictions to them, it really puts me in a pickle.

By nature I want to modify/improve my rides. I want them to run better, more comfortably, more reliably. I want them to sound different, and look different. But since this EPA/HD marriage, the cost/risk of making my bike my own has greatly increased.

Not anymore.

So, I guess you can tell I'm pretty stoked about this ESP. I've been hoping and waiting for it...and now it is here.

Now for the disclaimers:

1. I have not done a claim with them, so cannot attest to how well they perform. They've been in business since 1975 and they have an A+ rating with the BBB.

2. I am not affiliated, nor receiving any compensation from them.

3. I have spent a couple of hours going over their contracts and talking with a representative about some clarifications/addendum's that would be good for the Harley market.

4. Last, but not least- besides a benefit to myself personally, on my own bikes, this ESP will allow folks to get some of the products we manufacture and still be covered by warranty that they might not have been comfortable getting from us with only the HD Warranty...so there is a potential benefit to DK Custom from this superior ESP.

You can learn more about it from Jim Palmer at https://www.motorcycleagent.com/

Kevin

Kevin, I just glanced over the descriptions of the different coverages. Not familiar with all the terms utilized.

Since I have non-Harley slip-ons, a different breather, and plan to add oil relocation and oil cooler, which plan would probably be best?

I'm still under my 2 year HD factory and would be submitting paperwork to get a refund on what is left on my HD extended service plan.

Your thoughts and ideas? Thanks, Joe.

Kevin, I just glanced over the descriptions of the different coverages. Not familiar with all the terms utilized.

Since I have non-Harley slip-ons, a different breather, and plan to add oil relocation and oil cooler, which plan would probably be best?

I'm still under my 2 year HD factory and would be submitting paperwork to get a refund on what is left on my HD extended service plan.

Your thoughts and ideas? Thanks, Joe.

Eagle Guardian - Extended Service Plans is what I've chosen. But I strongly recommend speaking to Jim, he is very helpful.

Kevin

Guys,

I’ve been swapping emails with Jim for a little over a week. He has said tuners are no problem. The thing that got me interested in his policy besides that is I can get coverage on my 2017 even though my factory warranty has expired.

Here’s something he shared you might be interested in.

The Eagle plans are administered by: United States Warranty Corporation (https://www.uswceagle.com/). They specialize in Powersports, RV, and also Marine vehicles. They were established in 1975 and are located in Ohio. I really like working with this company. They take a human approach to pricing, coverage, and claims.

The utilize Evergreen National Indemnity Company to insure the coverage. If they were to go out of business, this insurance would supply the coverage. My agency is not affiliated with claims—if my agency closes, your contract is unaffected. Think of your motorcycle or auto insurance; same thing.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

This is EXACTLY what I have been hoping for. The simple act of re-registering the license on my PowerVision that had done so much good for my 2014 TG (with no warranty issues; dealer stated that they were using PV more than the HD tuners) instantly put me at risk if a dealer was to connect Digital Tech to my '17 TG. Service manager told me that they would not connect if I reminded them, but if they did I was automatically flagged (this is the same dealer). I will have to make the call to Palmer; I still have 2 1/2 years left on my ESP.

Thanks for doing the information collection work!

I spoke to Jim Palmer, and got a quote. I have submitted my ESP cancellation request to HD; just waiting for my check. (I know... yhe check's in the mail!:D)

This sounds really good, almost too good to believe. I will be giving them a call after the holidays to find out more, but for now just curious if someone can answer this. If (when) I take my 2018 TriGlide in for warranty work, how am I sure the dealership will honor this different ESP? Can they refuse to do the work?

Nothing would make me happier than being able to start using a PV again and putting the E-Series exhaust back on!!

EDIT TO POST: I just looked through their website and my questions have been answered. This seems like an awesome alternative!

Talked to the finance manager at our local dealership about this new ESP. They are getting as frustrated with H-D as owners because of how they keep tightening things up. They have now changed the coverage (or just maybe clarified their stance) on Tire and Wheel coverage. He was told that if the bearings wear out or something causes them to fail, the ESP will cover them. However, if the tire/wheel falls off or is somehow damaged because of the bearing failure, they will not cover the tire/wheel because the insurance only covers road hazard issues. Not sure what else they've changed, but he was happy to look into this because he'd like to be able to offer some good insurance (without all the constraints Harley keeps adding) to people that buy from them. He said he will call and see if they have a local rep that is willing to sit down and really get into the nuts and bolts of the coverage. After quickly going through the website, he said the only 'red flag' he saw was the price. He didn't understand how they can offer that kind of coverage for the low cost shown. I've been using this same dealership for over 20 years and trust them. Plus, I figure he'll be able to ask a lot more pertinent questions that I'd forget or not even know to ask.

Anyway, he'll get in touch with them and then get back to me with his thoughts. I'll post what he said as soon as he gets back to me.

Eagle Guardian Extended Service Plans

The Eagle Guardian Extended Service Plan is very unique and I'd love to discuss with anyone interested. (Dealership and Riders alike)

We are completing a complete Frequently Asked Question section to better depict the value this plan provides.

• $0 Deductible (New Plans) and $50 Deductible (Used Plans) at ANY Repair Facility. You decide where your motorcycle or trike is repaired.
  • 24/7/365 claims department to assist riders throughout the United States and Canada.
  • Wear & Tear Coverage is available on New Plans
  • Excellent Towing and Road Service is included
  • Trip Interruption is included if you breakdown 100 miles from home
  • Most On-Road Motorcycle brands are eligible. This plan isn't just for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
  • Terms are up to 5-Years: Renewable if less than 75,000 miles.

Being that this plan is an extended service contract--not insurance, we can sell to riders throughout the United States and Canada. Feel free to PM me or email with any questions.

Jim Palmer

jim@motorcycleagent.com

I've known Jim Palmer for a number of years now, he used to be my next door neighbor when I lived in Madison, WI. I bought my Tri-Glide and a Heritage Softail from Boardtracker H-D with his assistance when he worked there. He is also my agent for my motorcycle and UTV insurance. He is a great guy and has always been more than fair with me and my wife!

Thank you!

I've known Jim Palmer for a number of years now, he used to be my next door neighbor when I lived in Madison, WI. I bought my Tri-Glide and a Heritage Softail from Boardtracker H-D with his assistance when he worked there. He is also my agent for my motorcycle and UTV insurance. He is a great guy and has always been more than fair with me and my wife!

Bob thank you for the amazing post and allowing me to assist with your insurance policy for 3+ years. American Modern is one of my favorite carriers--the replacement coverage that never expires and no sub-limit on custom paint is extremely valuable.

Enjoy your new Side x Side and let's hope for a fast winter!

Jim (or anyone else that knows), my local harley shop is Smith Bros H-D in Johnson city, TN., if I purchase the plan and take my trike in for repairs, what happens then, how does the dealer get reimbursed?, what do I need to do?. I probably just need to call, my factory warranty runs out in March so I need to do something before then. Thank you everyone

Claims Process

Jim (or anyone else that knows), my local harley shop is Smith Bros H-D in Johnson city, TN., if I purchase the plan and take my trike in for repairs, what happens then, how does the dealer get reimbursed?, what do I need to do?. I probably just need to call, my factory warranty runs out in March so I need to do something before then. Thank you everyone

Colleydog,

The claims process is very smooth and similar to that of the H-D extended service plan.

1. Bring the trike to the repair facility of your choice and have them identify the problem.

2. Before completing the repairs, the repair facility or you will need to call the administrator for authorization. If you have the Eagle Plus or Eagle Guardian ESP, the claims department is option 24/7.

3. After authorization is received, the repairs can be completed. The repair facility is paid over the phone with a credit card of via ACH. This immediate payment will ensure you are back on the road quickly.

4. If you find yourself at a repair facility that won't assist with the claim (rare), you can call in yourself. The repair cost can be paid directly to you as a reimbursement. This is a nice back-up in case of proof customer service.

Please let me know if you have any more questions; here to help!

Colleydog,

The claims process is very smooth and similar to that of the H-D extended service plan.

1. Bring the trike to the repair facility of your choice and have them identify the problem.

2. Before completing the repairs, the repair facility or you will need to call the administrator for authorization. If you have the Eagle Plus or Eagle Guardian ESP, the claims department is option 24/7.

3. After authorization is received, the repairs can be completed. The repair facility is paid over the phone with a credit card of via ACH. This immediate payment will ensure you are back on the road quickly.

4. If you find yourself at a repair facility that won't assist with the claim (rare), you can call in yourself. The repair cost can be paid directly to you as a reimbursement. This is a nice back-up in case of proof customer service.

Please let me know if you have any more questions; here to help!

What would happen if authorization is NOT given? And why would it not be given?

insurance

The Eagle Guardian Extended Service Plan is very unique and I'd love to discuss with anyone interested. (Dealership and Riders alike)

We are completing a complete Frequently Asked Question section to better depict the value this plan provides.

• $0 Deductible (New Plans) and $50 Deductible (Used Plans) at ANY Repair Facility. You decide where your motorcycle or trike is repaired.
  • 24/7/365 claims department to assist riders throughout the United States and Canada.
  • Wear & Tear Coverage is available on New Plans
  • Excellent Towing and Road Service is included
  • Trip Interruption is included if you breakdown 100 miles from home
  • Most On-Road Motorcycle brands are eligible. This plan isn't just for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
  • Terms are up to 5-Years: Renewable if less than 75,000 miles.

Being that this plan is an extended service contract--not insurance, we can sell to riders throughout the United States and Canada. Feel free to PM me or email with any questions.

Jim Palmer

jim@motorcycleagent.com

Is this policy available for Canada ?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png