What a Dipstick. Fact or Fiction

It still takes volumes of oil, unless you have a way to cool it down in High Humidity with 103 in the shade. Sun shining, sitting in a traffic jam with engine idle.

That when Harleys rear cylinder is off line.

When I worked in the refinery, one of the engineers told me every 10 degrees above 220 F cuts your oil additive package life by half. But that was in the days before synthetics.

Phu Cat

It still takes volumes of oil, unless you have a way to cool it down in High Humidity with 103 in the shade. Sun shining, sitting in a traffic jam with engine idle.

That when Harleys rear cylinder is off line.

You could have 6 qts of oil and once you get caught in some stop n go traffic you will then have 6 qts of very hot oil. The oil volume won't do much for an air cooled dry sump engine such as the Twin Cam. If it took riding 10 miles on an 80 degree day to heat up 4 qts of oil to 230 degrees it may take 15 miles to heat 5 qts up to the same temp.

You could have 6 qts of oil and once you get caught in some stop n go traffic you will then have 6 qts of very hot oil. The oil volume won't do much for an air cooled dry sump engine such as the Twin Cam. If it took riding 10 miles on an 80 degree day to heat up 4 qts of oil to 230 degrees it may take 15 miles to heat 5 qts up to the same temp.
A oil cooler with a fan will cool it down, just like aircon/radiator fan on a car.
Thermostat turn it on around 160. to 170. depending on how it is set.

A oil cooler with a fan will cool it down, just like aircon/radiator fan on a car.
Thermostat turn it on around 160. to 170. depending on how it is set.

You'll need an awful large oil cooler if your looking to maintain 160 - 170 degrees. You get on a freeway, heck any highway and ride for a couple hours at 80+ degrees ambient no matter where the thermostat is set your going to be in the 230 range. You either need an oil cooler with a very large surface area or more cooling fin surface area on the cylinders and the heads. I have no thermostat in the oil cooler adapter on my 06 Ultra which is equipped with a Jag 10 row cooler, it'll hit 230 degrees easily on a 80 degree day.

msocko3 the thermostat is to let the motor get up to operating temperature and keep it there, not to keep the motor at 160* - 170*, Yes you would need a BIG cooler to do that. You should not need a thermostat in the oil cooler or oil cooler adaptor, the oil cooler should be in series with the oil system. The bikes thermostat still works weather you have an oil cooler or not. My oil cooler has two fans and it does have a thermostat to control the fans, 190*-195* will bring the fans in. As you say, the oil will run around 230* on a warm to hot day, depending on how well your oil cooler works. I also have the HD parade fan on a manual switch and so far I am able in worse cases to keep it around 230*.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png