What don't you like about your Free?

You would think so..... But just like Life it isn't always that simple... Went though that with my Tri-Glide.
Thats why i went mechanical.. Do a search on the reverse motor...
I have and there were posts about getting it rebuilt. I talked to a local repair shop for generators and starters. They said take it off Bring about a hundred bucks for the rebuild. I only have about 6500 miles on mine but I use the reverse alot to park at work. I have no problems yet.

I have and there were posts about getting it rebuilt. I talked to a local repair shop for generators and starters. They said take it off Bring about a hundred bucks for the rebuild. I only have about 6500 miles on mine but I use the reverse alot to park at work. I have no problems yet.

Yep there are, I pulled my reverse 3 times' First two times i repaired it myself.. third time i found a rebuilder 95$ that lasted about a year... But i was told he has since raised it to 395$ Anyway i wasn't going to crawl under the Trike again...With the mechanical i can and ''Do'' park anywhere just like with a car... PS The motor is an Hitachi...

Kind of park as if it doesn't exist. However do exercise it to keep it going. Question: what hap pens, motor goes bad? Or the gear assembly jam up?

What's reverse??? I just use my legs :D

I find that I use the reverse assist very very little, it is just easier and quicker to put my legs down and walk it backwards for me anyway.

What's reverse??? I just use my legs :D
I find that I use the reverse assist very very little, it is just easier and quicker to put my legs down and walk it backwards for me anyway.

I agree. I use reverse very little; only when I absolutely have to. In the 15 months I have owned my FW I have probably used reverse less than 10 times. Same on my Goldwing trike I had a few years back.

Sunman

I agree. I use reverse very little; only when I absolutely have to. In the 15 months I have owned my FW I have probably used reverse less than 10 times. Same on my Goldwing trike I had a few years back.

Sunman
I think I use mine more to mess with my buddies on two when they try to duck walk backwards up hills.... I grin and hit the reverse.... When I first got the free I would use it often, and blow the breaker got to the point that it would take to long I would put my feet down and do it like a man :qpnmt:

I use the reverse quit often and haven't had any problems with it so far (fingers crossed), but then I'm also a right above knee amputee so it does come in handy. If it does go and it's still under warranty I'll have HD fix it, if not under warranty I'll bite the bullet and pay to have a mechanical reverse installed.
Red,

Our trike is so light,I usually just use my legs to back up but the Champion reverse works well,if needed.

Wife and I have rarely used the reverse on the 4 trikes we have owned. After nearly 50 years riding 2 wheelers without reverse we are pretty careful when we park. Most of the time we 'Flintstone'. Rule 1, never park downhill if you can't pull out forward

I use the reverse whenever I need to back up. My theory on the whole thing is "That's what it was put there for, so why not use it?"

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of park as if it doesn't exist. However do exercise it to keep it going. Question: what hap pens, motor goes bad? Or the gear assembly jam up?

Stuff like this is why I bought the extended warranty. And all the more reason for me to use reverse early and often.

Im not sure it is fair to say I don't like this about the free. I just don't like this.

The free is a great trike , and a lot of fun. I am liking it more and more . If I needed to buy another trike it would be the trike I would choose in a heartbeat. That said however:

I am hating having to accelerate through a left hand 45 degree off camber turn on a road that slants sharply down towards the right side edge of the lane.

Maybe my sense of balance is off very slightly because of my C.P. but this has never ever felt right to me. I finally got used to it temporarily after a very long road trip but I have never liked it. I find it very disconcerting.

It is the only situation where I have not felt completely at home on the trike and relaxed while riding it (post the first 250 miles or so. ). Hopefully I can get where I can ignore it again.

Maybe all trikes feel that way. Not sure as this is my first. Not sure you could make a better factory trike than the free. ( or tri-glide for that matter). They really got a lot of things right with it , right out of the gate.

If I was going to pick two things id change: better flywheel balancing and gear run cams instead of chain tensioners on the camshafts. But that is an HD thing not a specific freewheeler thing.

My last 3 bikes were Urals (for this discussion I am not including the Enfields and the 883 Sportster....no wait, let's include the Enfields and the 883 Sportster.)

That all said, referentially speaking, the FW is a long overdue dream come true.

I will hug it. I will whisper "thank you."

Not for tall people.

Got my FLRT to get back into riding after my right leg was amputated. Like the bike, but I'm 6'5"
and can't get far enough back on the seat. Currently have a Harley Sundowner, but the "bucket"
pushes me too far forward.

Got my FLRT to get back into riding after my right leg was amputated. Like the bike, but I'm 6'5"
and can't get far enough back on the seat. Currently have a Harley Sundowner, but the "bucket"
pushes me too far forward.

Why not have Mustang or Corbin build you a custom seat for more legroom,then sell the Sundowner here in the classifieds?

drive train noise

The only thing I don't really like about my 2015 is the drive train noise and the clunk of the shifter. What about you guys?
Ive been hearing same noise and figured it was primary chain slack and do intend to have it checked and possibly put in self adjusting primary chain device, let ya know

Followed Clint44's suggestion

Why not have Mustang or Corbin build you a custom seat for more legroom,then sell the Sundowner here in the classifieds?

Exactly what I did! Printed a photo of Corbin's FW seat from their website and sketched in the mods I would like.
Corbin's customer service was excellent and they are now making the seat, with the mods I requested, the
same price as a factory seat

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Flick

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Flick
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png