What states require trike riders to have a motorcycle endorsements.

Re: . What states require trike riders to have a motorcycle endorsements.

Agree with previous poster, check the state DMV interested in. In California that would be: www.DMV.CA.Gov. California does not reqquire a MC endorsement to ride a trike, just a valid DL. I Googled "Motorcycle trike license in California" and here is what I came up with:

California LAW:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displa…

" (3) Class C includes the following:
... (I) A motorized scooter.
(J) Class C does not include a two-wheel motorcycle or a two-wheel motor-driven cycle."

NOTE: Class-C only excludes two-wheel motorcycles.

" (4) Class M1. A two-wheel motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle."

NOTE: Class M1 is required ONLY for a Two-wheel motorcycle.

You do *not* need a California M1 motorcycle license for a motor-tricycle.
All you need for a motor-tricycle is for a Class-C California Drivers License.
Your Class-C California Driver's License is legal for touring on a motor-tricycle in any State, even in States that require a motorcycle license for trikes.

If you have a Driver's License in another State, that requires a motorcycle license to ride a motor tricycle, THEN you will need your State's motorcycle license to ride a Trike in California.
"12502. (a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in
this state without obtaining a driver's license under this code:
(1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her
immediate possession a valid driver's license ... "

Yes the Communist state of Pennsylvania does also!

We had to get certified since back in 1972-74 somewhere in there abouts, draconian rule even back then. We all borrowed a M50 Harley to take the test on and then jumped back on whatever we owned to ride home. There was 9 of us all used the same bike so to speak on the same day. The inspector said the best group he ever had LOL.. Fred

In Jersey........With the Slingshot just a regular drivers license is required....

With the Trike a Motorcycle endorsement/license is required...

Virginia has three classes.

M for all 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles

M2 for 2 wheel only

M3 for three wheels only

I was riding before they had a motorcycle endorsement, got the M when they first started. That was all they had then.

When I took the test in Florida I had a 3 wheel trike/sidecar only. When I moved to PA they gave me a motorcycle endorsement and in NM they gave me a W 100cc or greater and good for 2 or 3 wheels.

In Florida, you can get a trike permit or a two wheeler permit. A two wheeler permit will also allow you to ride a trike in this state.

FWIW Az, the last time I took the experienced rider course I learned a lot. Then I took it again about 15 years later and learned more than I did the first time. At $350 it does seem a little steep, but I'll bet you'll learn more than ya think ya will.

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png