"What's in your wallet, I mean "tool kit"?

I like how you have you sockets on the ring..........What type of ring is that?? Excellent idea! :D

Ronnie

They are standard wrench rings from Harbor Freight .... come two in a package.

Alan,

Appreciate your response and pictures. What bags do you use to store the tools and I assume you stack them in the trunk because of weight.

Wish I was as neat with tools as you are :D

The third picture ... I got them off eBay ... measured the area to the right and left of the trunk door ... they fit perfectly ... I only ride solo, so there's plenty of room for me luggage.

Trunk left.jpg

Trunk Right.jpg

In the pics you can see breaker bars and torque wrenches ... forgot about them.

The more stuff [Tools] you pack with you the less confident you are in your ride...

Like my Old Man would always say to me..; Son' He always called me Son,

Son with all those tools you take with you ' You must be riding scared ...:laugh:...

To be perfectly honest ... I've never had a need to use the tools on any trip, I have let others riding with me use them, can't remember who, but, I loaned the tools to someone when I was in Kerrville, and I didn't even bring my trike (didn't have one, just a GL1800 ... LOL ... It's kind of like when I lived in Kenosha, Wi. Every year we'd be up to my neck in snow, last year I lived there (didn't know I'd be moving), I bought a riding snow blower ... not more than an inch at one time all year ... since I have the tools, I don't need them.

I've actually mellowed some ... when I was riding two wheel Ultras, I carried a drive belt and primary oil ... might not be able to do it along side the road, but, if I could get it to a garage, I could supervise a mechanic in the job, I also have a PDF of the shop manual on my phone ... :D

My kit is a mini version of Fuzzy's. I've been carrying a flat repair kit and compressor for years and have never had to use it. I carry a small socket set and of course the T25 and T27. Needle nose and zip ties for sure. But I keep my motorbike in top shape and haven't had to do any roadside repairs. Heck, most of us drive our cars and trucks thousands of miles without even raising the hood.

My kit is a mini version of Fuzzy's. I've been carrying a flat repair kit and compressor for years and have never had to use it. I carry a small socket set and of course the T25 and T27. Needle nose and zip ties for sure. But I keep my motorbike in top shape and haven't had to do any roadside repairs. Heck, most of us drive our cars and trucks thousands of miles without even raising the hood.

Except for windshield washer fluid I only raise the hood a couple of times per year :D

If you still have the stock HD shiter ends on your linkage check them close. They like to fail at the most in opportune time;) This is where tie straps or the vise grips will come in handy

Replacing the stock linkage is one of the first things I do ... forget what they call these ends .... but, they are way smoother and I've never seen one fail.

Shift Linkage 1.jpg

Replacing the stock linkage is one of the first things I do ... forget what they call these ends .... but, they are way smoother and I've never seen one fail.

View attachment 81600

Heim Joints like this
cromoly_heim_joint_2__63085.1421219304.500.500.JPG

Just ordered a tire plug kit and compressor after seeing pictures of fuzzy’s, so I guess I’ll put that in the trunk along with a H-D tool kit I got from one of my other bikes, a tire gauge, and air pump for shocks, till I can save my money and get some new ones from Kevin. As far as my car I drive a 2011 Honda Pilot with 320,000 mostly highway miles that I think I have only looked under the hood 3 or 4 times and have never checked the oil.

I have the tool kit from my Ultra. The trike didn't have one. So I kept mine. I Put Ride On in the tires last summer. But I still have the plug kit and compressor.. We were at Craze Horse one year. Some guy had a flat. Had to have Someone from Rapid City come with a wrecker.. I started carrying the compressor after we got home.. Only used it one year three times to get back to town to have tire replaced... It had two plugs to stop the leak... Didn't ride very fast on the way back to town

Just ordered a tire plug kit and compressor after seeing pictures of fuzzy’s, so I guess I’ll put that in the trunk along with a H-D tool kit I got from one of my other bikes, a tire gauge, and air pump for shocks, till I can save my money and get some new ones from Kevin. As far as my car I drive a 2011 Honda Pilot with 320,000 mostly highway miles that I think I have only looked under the hood 3 or 4 times and have never checked the oil.

Honda engines are really reliable.

I have the tool kit from my Ultra. The trike didn't have one. So I kept mine. I Put Ride On in the tires last summer. But I still have the plug kit and compressor.. We were at Craze Horse one year. Some guy had a flat. Had to have Someone from Rapid City come with a wrecker.. I started carrying the compressor after we got home.. Only used it one year three times to get back to town to have tire replaced... It had two plugs to stop the leak... Didn't ride very fast on the way back to town

Lyle,

One time in the high desert of OR (more than 150 miles from anywhere) my riding partner got a flat. We pulled over (he didn't know I carried GPS/SAT tracking, (breakdown) with no need of cell coverage and a repair kit). Once stopped I said "well what do we do now"?. He was really mad at the situation as this was a new rear tire (190). I pulled out the compressor, plugs and we were on our way in less than 20 minutes. He had little knowledge of long distance riding but this was enough to make him think differently when leaving home. My personal "comfort zone" is if I am venturing more than 100 mile radius from home, I will carry any and all available tools to get me home. I was once an extreme rider venturing way North than I should, so I carry GPS/SAT Phone for two way text and comms and recovery as I ride way up North into Canada and towards Alaska most of my time on 2 wheels with the GS. My coverage also includes SAR which I pay an annual fee for as I don't think tax payers should foot my bill for my fook up's!

Ride safe and enjoy,

Jon.

PS: I had to ride his bike after I had plugged the tire as he hadn't ridden a plugged tire before!

PPS: You should ask me about the 2 grizzly bears on the Trans Canada Highway :D Really mean and angry for sure!!!

Last edited:
I forgot ... one other piece of "gear" I carry ... :D ... probably wouldn't but I won this in a raffle last year.

2019-04-25 12.21.31.jpg

2019-04-25 12.21.39.jpg

Jump Starter 2.png

Never used it on a bike ... but ... I used it last year on my Toyota Truck ... battery was fine when I parked it on a Friday night, next morning, the truck started fine. I went grocery shopping and came home. A couple hours later, nada. Turned the key and not even a click. Put a charger on the battery overnight and the next morning ... nothing. Nobody around to get a jump from. Finally remembered this and got it out of the trike and it fired the truck right up, went to O'Reilly's and got the battery tested and it had dead cells. I was kind of amazed the little thing actually started the truck. It's like the size of my cell phone. LOL. The nice thing is you don't even need to remove the seat to use it, just hook it up to the started. The dealer I bought the Tri from told me he put a new battery in it just before I purchased it, but, who knows. Black Friday I bought a bigger one for the Jeep (Halo Bolt).

My dear dad used to say, "Ounce of Prevention is Worth ... A Piece of Mind" ... dad used to get the "sayings" all jangled up ... LOL.

If I was in a more populated area, I might not feel the need for all this stuff. I can literally go 5 miles out of town and be 100 miles from the next town (especially to the west). If you break down or get a flat at 5 miles out, no biggie. If it happens at 50 miles out ... Biggie. Even if you get to the next town, there is probably not a dealer anywhere around.

From Grand Junction, the next dealer is like 5 hours to the North, 4-5 hours to the south, 5-6 to the west and 5-6 to the east. Couple that with the fact cell service is spotty, and that 90% of the time I ride alone, it sure makes sense to have at least some equipment to help with the eventual issues.

View attachment 81600

Alan,

I am getting to grips with the steep learning curve on the TG, as I have never owned a Harley before. Is this linkage an updated Harley stock part/number and do you know if these were changed on the newer (2019 on) TG's.

Thanks for the heads up though to you and jack.

If you still have the stock HD shiter ends on your linkage check them close. They like to fail at the most in opportune time;) This is where tie straps or the vise grips will come in handy

Thanks jack.

Just replied to a post Alan made about the shifter ends. Must find out if these were updated on TG's later than 2019.l

What Fuzzy is a harley part with the heim ends, they have several different styles you can get from your local dealer or J & P cycles sells them also, so DK customs and you can just get the heim ends from DK or at least one time you could and keep your rod. Your bike will have the same as any other harley they haven't changed anything different, cheap cheap, they want you to buy the other things that looks better and it will make it easier to shift and you don't have to worry about it breaking with the heim joints

All for now Trampas

What Fuzzy is a harley part with the heim ends, they have several different styles you can get from your local dealer or J & P cycles sells them also, so DK customs and you can just get the heim ends from DK or at least one time you could and keep your rod. Your bike will have the same as any other harley they haven't changed anything different, cheap cheap, they want you to buy the other things that looks better and it will make it easier to shift and you don't have to worry about it breaking with the heim joints

All for now Trampas

Trampas,

OK that makes it clear now, thanks.

I will email DK so I can get these ordered asap. So you keep the rod but replace the end bits?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png