When To Use Battery Tender?

When I bought my 2011 Triumph Storm I picked up a battery "maintainer" made by Yuasa. It only charges if the battery drops below a certain point then shuts off when the battery is fully charged. At least that's what it says it does. Always seemed to work during the two cold winters that I used it. Has the same 2 prong hook up that the Freewheeler uses so I'll probably start using it soon, as it's getting a bit dicey weather wise in South Jersey. The fuel stabilizer question is still not sorted out. I hadn't realized there was such a heated debate as to whether or not they were good or outright detrimental to your bike. Never used any in my other bikes, from Trumps to Hawgs in the 54 years I've been riding and never had a problem. Ethanol free gas is unavailable around my parts so guess I'll just have to go for ride every so often this winter to keep the gas from going bad :).

Hi....A battery maintainer is your better decision as it will not kill your battery by cheating it. The vast majority of them accompany a connector on the finish of the string called a SAE connector, and furthermore a piece of wire with a coordinating with connector toward one side and ring drags at the opposite end. Interface the ring hauls straightforwardly to the battery and leave the SAE end some place on the bicycle that is not difficult to get to. Then, at that point, you can without much of a stretch associate and detach the maintainer at whatever point you really want to.

Tally.............Welcome to Trike-Talk.........:wave4:..

May I ask why you'd use a battery maintainer on a bicycle? :xzqxz: Ran a search on this poster and they have spent most of November posting nonsense on other forums.

Last edited:
May I ask why you'd use a battery maintainer on a bicycle? :xzqxz: Ran a search on this poster and they have spent most of November posting nonsense on other forums.

Well that certainly was a nonsensical post on his part. It's mostly just a random group of English words strung together devoid of meaning. I see the post has been removed. :clapping:

The fuel stabilizer question is still not sorted out. I hadn't realized there was such a heated debate as to whether or not they were good or outright detrimental to your bike. Never used any in my other bikes, from Trumps to Hawgs in the 54 years I've been riding and never had a problem. Ethanol free gas is unavailable around my parts so guess I'll just have to go for ride every so often this winter to keep the gas from going bad :).

You may have seen these two sites about the dangers of some fuel stabilizers and the benefits of Ethanol in gas (the second link has extensive detail) , but I've noticed ALL of them say that Sta-Bil actually does help keep fuel usable in LONG TERM storage and why, but it's otherwise an unnecessary and ineffective expense for regular fill ups. Interesting topic this fuel stabilizer use. The third link is also an interesting read. This is where it too mentions Sta-Bil directly.

https://motorbikewriter.com/video-can-fuel-stabilizer-kill-your-motorcycle/

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2019/08/16/680489-automotive-aftermarket-saturated-with-snake-oil-engine-additives.html

[url]https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2019/08/10/677743-is-it-is-or-is-it-ain-t-famous-manufacturer.html

[/URL]

You may have seen these two sites about the dangers of some fuel stabilizers and the benefits of Ethanol in gas (the second link has extensive detail) , but I've noticed ALL of them say that Sta-Bil actually does help keep fuel usable in LONG TERM storage and why, but it's otherwise an unnecessary and ineffective expense for regular fill ups. Interesting topic this fuel stabilizer use.

https://motorbikewriter.com/video-can-fuel-stabilizer-kill-your-motorcycle/

https://www.theautochannel.com/news...aturated-with-snake-oil-engine-additives.html

Heres how i feel about Sta-Bil;....It really doesn't matter if it works or not, I feel good about using it in my gas, And if it makes me feel good about using it in my gas then it makes my engine feel good about using in my gas..So if i feel its a good thing to use in my gas,Then That's good enough for me and my gas to be using it.. What's so wrong about feeling good, Every now and then its a good feeling to feel good.:D..

Battery Tender

I Always put the Battery tender on after each ride . It always does a little charge every time . (The light Flashes while charging even with a new battery) There are times I let it sit for 2 weeks of more. And if we get snow it will sit till the snow and salt are gone.

So I got the '21 Freewheeler in mid July and here it is November in NJ and it's been 40 degrees for the last 3 days. Went out once regardless for a quick ride, but that's it. Supposed to go into the mid 60's soon, but being as this is the beginning of the crappy season when's a good time to resign myself to putting the battery tender on and should I even bother?

I started the rotation of my bikes on the tender about a month ago. Up here in north central PA the temps this time of year drop into the 20s at night. Soon night time temps will be in the single digits and below. In the spring I recharge the battery of my lawn tractor.

This is the one I have been using since 2017: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3CM2QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It resuscitated a completely drained mower battery and that battery is still going strong.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png