Which Reverse?

Strohkr

100+ Posts
Sep 16, 2010
NORTH DAKOTA
Hey all!

Well, after our recent ride to the OZARKS (which is absolutely incredible to say the least). The Arkansas Dragon's Tail is NOT to be missed with their 5mph switchbacks - it's NUTS to ride but puts a BIG smile on your face. They even had a road sign that said "IMPASSABLE HAIRPIN TURNS" (actually meant for trucks but not far off for any vehicle).

Anyway - I needed to use my stock reverse a few times and EVERY time I used it the circuit breaker broke. So each time I had to take the little saddlebag off, take off the side panel, and reset the reverse. It even went off during a live backing. The inclines were not that drastic - mostly just regular type backing. It drove me nuts.

So I've decided I need a mechanical reverse.

I'm looking at the Baker (spendy) and the Motor Trike Reverse.

There are pros and cons on each of them and I'm having a hard time deciding.

So - I'm looking for some advice from anyone in the trike world that has any experience with them and maybe an expert opinion on which one you think I should go with and why.

Thanking you in advance!

Ride & Have Fun!

Hey all!

Well, after our recent ride to the OZARKS (which is absolutely incredible to say the least). The Arkansas Dragon's Tail is NOT to be missed with their 5mph switchbacks - it's NUTS to ride but puts a BIG smile on your face. They even had a road sign that said "IMPASSABLE HAIRPIN TURNS" (actually meant for trucks but not far off for any vehicle).

Anyway - I needed to use my stock reverse a few times and EVERY time I used it the circuit breaker broke. So each time I had to take the little saddlebag off, take off the side panel, and reset the reverse. It even went off during a live backing. The inclines were not that drastic - mostly just regular type backing. It drove me nuts.

So - I'm looking for some advice from anyone in the trike world that has any experience with them and maybe an expert opinion on which one you think I should go with and why.

Thanking you in advance!

Ride & Have Fun!

I had the Mototrike reverse on my 2011 Triglide and it worked perfectly…I haven’t any opinions on the baker. That said I’ve never heard anything bad about it either….One thing I will say once you get a mechanical reverse you’d wonder why you haven’t done it sooner..

Are you installing it yourself ? If you're doing the Baker, you will need some special tools and a press. Plus new primary gasket set and bushings, and new bolts. I did 2 Bakers, my cousin and I got them at Sturgis few years ago, one on a Roadglide, one on (my) Streetglide. We paid $1800 ea, plus 250 or so for gaskets, and couple tools. Took me about 6 hours first, 4 for the second. They are over engineered, but have worked flawlessly for 3 years. We both had to replace the handlebar switch that releases the safety that prevents shifting into reverse "accidently".

Local independent shop installs the Motor Trike for $1450 (ish), don't have to remove trany gears like the Baker. If I ever do another, it will be a MT.

I have the MotorTrike Reverse on my trike. I installed it myself. Not Hard. Hardest part was the exhaust system. Having to move the pipes out away from the frame about 3/4 of an inch means it better to modify the right side 'S' pipe while you are doing it to give you some addition clearance on the frame. I would advise getting a longer stud for the exhaust hanger just forward of the trans. case.

Hey all!

Thanking you in advance!

Ride & Have Fun!

Just to ad.....If you go with the MOTOTRIKE Reverse make sure they install the reverse lock out harness.....Don't let someone tell you' you don't need it' You will need it.....

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all!

Thanking you in advance!

Ride & Have Fun!

Just to ad.....If you go with the MOTOTRIKE Reverse make sure they install the reverse lock out harness.....Don't let someone tell you' you don't need it' You will need it.....

- - - Updated - - -

The shop that installed mine didn't give me the choice. Lol. They've dealt with a few that installed the MT reverse and didn't install the harness. It gets expensive when you go "oops".

The Baker has a lockout also, mounts on a bracket by the throttle. You press the button, downshift to 1st, then downshift again to reverse. If you do not press the button, it will not shift into reverse.

If you are locked in reverse does it lock the trans too?

Reason I ask is I have a ReKluse clutch so I'm unable to park in gear on inclines.

When I did my 2011 and put the mechanical reverse in Motortrike sent me the wrong wiring harness and I had to drive a week till the new harness came in…And twice I hit first when in reverse…And the transmission locked up….So to free it I had to get off the trike and forcefully rock it back-and-forth to unlock the transmission…When locked the rear wheels will not move at all much like having your brakes frozen on..

I have a Champion reverse. It’s very simple. No nanny lockout. I installed it years ago. I’ve never had a problem. I love having a mechanical reverse. Also have a Rekluse clutch. If I put it in reverse and first at the same time the clutch will just slip as normal. Kind of a tranny-saving feature.

But for God’s sake don’t rev it up! Ha.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png