Why, just plain Why?

Wait...That's completely unbelievable! I mean the fact that a dealer actually let someone take a TG for a test ride, that is! My 1st 3-wheeled ride was the only test they would let me take...on their 1972 servi-car with the suicide shift (only drove in parking lot, but got up into top 3rd gear).

The day I picked my 2012 TriGlide up from the dealer was a comical one.

They had it sitting just inside their service area, pointed slightly off to the left. Outside the garage door on the left side was a row of hedges. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

After getting the once-around from the dealer (how to do this, how to check that, etc.), it was time for me to depart on my maiden voyage. I already knew that to turn a trike, you have to TURN the handlebars. But for some reason, that all went out the window.

I jumped on and fired up the 103. Sweet! Clunked her into first and eased out the clutch.

Before I knew it, the hedges grew ever larger as I tried my best to lean her into the turn. When I realized that wasn't happening, I jammed on the brakes while simultaneously putting my feet down to bring her to a stop.

All the while this was going on, I could hear through the cloud of my brain the dealer YELLING at me, "Turn the bars! TURN THE BARS!"

Luckily the Harley gods were smiling upon me and I was able to bring the bike to a stop before I did some trim work on their bushes.

The roar of laughter from the dealer was almost deafening but my wife was laughing a little bit louder. I earned it.

I turned the wheel, fired her back up, and spent 30 minutes learning to ride her around the parking lot.

Fifteen hundred miles later, I am truly in love with this bike and my only regret is not getting one sooner.

I can see this being the last bike I ever buy. That is unless they come out with a Screamin Eagle TriGlide. Then all bets are off!

I can really relate to Skeet's first post and JohnC's reponse above.

I tested a trike 4 years ago and seemed to do just fine, then a couple years ago I tried a TG and had the same issue getting out of the lot as JohnC did. Then last summer I got to ride a friends TG and did Ok but never got above 40mph. That's when the SO got her first trike ride and started her thinking that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to be on 3 wheels.

I myself believe it is all in the brain. I somehow need to shut down the 2-wheel mode as concerns stopping, turning, slow speed, etc, and the feeling you're tiping over when the TG is sideways on a small slope. All else is basically the same.

We had our new TG delivered last Saturday and all I have done is move it around from the shed to the garage (slowly) and used the reverse option. It just takes getting used to.

I have read a lot of the postings here about riding trikes and the hints and suggestions from the "veterans", and when the weather agrees, I plan to head to the nearest big parking lot and do those circles and figure eights. But that will be about a 10-15 mile ride, so by the time I get there, I may be getting used to it already.

But I also believe in safety first, and the more practice a person can do the better they'll be in the long run. Just like practicing slow speed manuvering and panic stops on a two wheeler, practicing turning and such to get used to the trike is never a bad idea.

Just my thoughts. Ride safe!

It takes a little while to get accustomed to the steering Skeeter. If you have ever ridden a quad ATV it's very similar. I think it's easier for someone who has never ridden a two wheeler to learn to ride a trike because the lean/counter steer is not ingrained in their brain. The first day I brought mine home I was weaving all over the road for about 10 miles but by the time I got home it was feeling pretty natural. You'll get used to it in no time!!

Wait...That's completely unbelievable! I mean the fact that a dealer actually let someone take a TG for a test ride, that is! My 1st 3-wheeled ride was the only test they would let me take...on their 1972 servi-car with the suicide shift (only drove in parking lot, but got up into top 3rd gear).

Bozo.... We live in Tennessee, motorcycle country. The dealer will bring the mc out to the parking lot and let you have at it, if you have your endorsment! We are country folk, trust our mc community and strive to make customers happy. There is too much competition here to fool with trivial things. The dealers build up relationships with their customers. They want them to keep coming back. Good customer service, aka "Southern Hospitality".

Baer in PA let me take their rental 2011 T/G out and i could have rode 100 miles with it, But i didn't 10/15 miles was all i needed. Bought a new one from them the next day. ThumbUp

I went by "Bubba's" today and did nothing but learn how to get on it. A female sales person finally had to laugh at me. She's only 5'4" just like me, but my right thigh is a big as both of her legs. So, she has to show off how she gets on the bike, skinny rear end little girl! Plus she wears nothing but cowboy boots. I gotta knock the dust off mine. We were going to take it out again but they got too busy and I'm the person who doesn't want them to lose a sale from others in the dealer. Now, I went back to the other dealer today. Funny thing, they didn't want to deal with me when I bought my Deluxe, but now.....lets see what they do on my little quote excel sheet. Black is a little less in cost, but that Big Blue Pearl and Black sure is a fine ride. HA, I had a guy buyng a Street Glide if they had it in stock, taught him a few things he didn't now about the bikes. Tomorrow is nothing but rain/snow for Middle Tennessee, so no learning to ride. Atleast it will give me a day to disrobe by Deluxe of everything. I sure hope this deal goes thru or I'll be busy putting all my accessories back on the Deluxe.

I went by "Bubba's" today and did nothing but learn how to get on it. A female sales person finally had to laugh at me. She's only 5'4" just like me, but my right thigh is a big as both of her legs. So, she has to show off how she gets on the bike, skinny rear end little girl! Plus she wears nothing but cowboy boots. I gotta knock the dust off mine. We were going to take it out again but they got too busy and I'm the person who doesn't want them to lose a sale from others in the dealer. Now, I went back to the other dealer today. Funny thing, they didn't want to deal with me when I bought my Deluxe, but now.....lets see what they do on my little quote excel sheet. Black is a little less in cost, but that Big Blue Pearl and Black sure is a fine ride. HA, I had a guy buyng a Street Glide if they had it in stock, taught him a few things he didn't now about the bikes. Tomorrow is nothing but rain/snow for Middle Tennessee, so no learning to ride. Atleast it will give me a day to disrobe by Deluxe of everything. I sure hope this deal goes thru or I'll be busy putting all my accessories back on the Deluxe.
Ron and I bought our first bike together from Bubba. He even brought it to us on his way to Atlanta to visit family. We are about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Nashville. They are nice folks!
ThumbUp Let me add that he didn't charge us for delivery.

Ron and I bought our first bike together from Bubba. He even brought it to us on his way to Atlanta to visit family. We are about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Nashville. They are nice folks!
ThumbUp Let me add that he didn't charge us for delivery.

Bubba just reopened his Rivergate store, called "Ring of Fire Harley Davidson". The area created a Johnny Cash tour that will include the dealer, so called after the big hit Ring of Fire. He was so thrilled today with the reopening, the store is awsome, small, intimate and has a gas fireplace. We getting big time here in little ole NashVegas!

I found that the mistake I made, was thinking I was on a motorcycle with 3 wheels. NO!
If it has 3 wheels, it is a trycycle. It doesn't turn like a motorcycle, it turns like a tricycle. It doesn't corner like a two wheeler, it corners like a sports car. Turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go, rock the throttle a little, and the rear tires push you around the corner like a sports car.
The outside centrifigul force you feel and/or fear, is no different than the car you drove to get there. Pay attention to your car the next time you drive, and you'll notice that on left turns, the car leans toward the outside of the turn. If you expect that from your trike, rather than thinking about leaning, it is much easier.

Of course, after losing two 2 wheelers on curves, I found the stability of the trike a great comfort. Maybe that made my adjustment to 3 wheels much easier. Good luck, and after a few turns in that parking lot, you can't wait to get it out and cruise.

It"s not that bad I have heard worst. At my Harley shop two guys was testing Harly trikes when one clipped a sign sent him into a canal. Then my friend got off the trike he was riding forgetting he was on a trike and it roll into the canal hitting his buddy. It can always be better. But it can always be worst. So try again and take your time. It took me time to get use of riding a trike.. It will get better

Don't understand the problem everybody has steering a trike. A lady friend of ours tried to ride hers in the front yard & she couldn't turn it. She was so upset she started crying. I've been riding since 1972. I never had a problem getting on mine & steering it. Must be a mental block.

I'm with jcolson, I don't understand, you steer with the bars and stop with the brakes, thats it. Hang in there and you'll get it, like docking a boat TAKE YOUR TIME. When you get it you'll love it.

As far as the tri glide stearing goes I took to it the first time out. You need to Push and pull on the handle-bars.
To turn Right pull the handle bar right and at the same time push the left handle bar left.
My next service will be at 15,000 miles and I love the Tri-Glide which is a 2010 merlo sunglow. To escape the H-D heat issues I had the dealership install true dual mufflers.
I can tell the difference
Jerry Hobbit

Don't understand the problem everybody has steering a trike. A lady friend of ours tried to ride hers in the front yard & she couldn't turn it.She was so upset she started crying. I've been riding since 1972. I never had a problem getting on mine & steering it. Must be a mental block.

Some people who have ridden 2 wheels for a long time have a hard time breaking the habit of counter steer and leaning, not to mention putting their feet down. I can remember the 1st time I road my dads Triglide in a School parking lot, I had to wipe my mind clear of how I ride 2 wheels and learn the opposite. It was the strangest feeling turing, keeping my feet up and just the difference in the way it road. Now I have a Triglide of my own and I switch back and forth between 2 wheels and 3 all the time with no problems. The only time I did have a little problem was after washing my 2 wheel bike and pulling it in the garage, I forgot I wasn't on the trike so I simply got off without putting the kick stand down. Amazing how easy an 800 pound bike can be picked up when your pissed.

when i first got mine i almost crashed into a truck in the dealer parking lot. first time i made all the mistakes you did. i did not drive it home had them deliver it. next day drove up and down my street for about 3 hours. next day tried some other streets off my street. it took me about 400 miles to unlearn 2 wheels and learn 3. but every ride was a little better. now i would not go back to 2. you will get it just practice .

I've been riding for over 50 years. Last summer I helped the dealer with the Harley demo rides. I used the TG whenever it was available. The first 2 times I forgot about putting my feet down - and the first ride forgot how to use the back up switch - that's it. I had absolutely no problem steering. It was a no brainer - at least for me. If anyone ever rode a snowmobile, they'd have no problem adjusting.
I can't in my wildest imagination see how someone could not steer a trike. :Shrug:

I'm still trying to learn to turn at speed. It feels like the forks are going to snap in two and the tire come off the wheel. Maybe I'm trying to turn going too fast.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png