Wondering if it's time ...............

I appreciate the feedback, really. I read it, & I tried to consider all angles.

Perhaps I'll look at it differently as things open up, hopefully the unrest settles too (soon I pray). When I sold my Triumph in '17, I was starting to relapse and my balance was really screwed up, I thought I was near death, then I got through my stem cell transplant, recovered mostly and have had good reports, MRIs, etc since but one day in '19 I went to move the 1200 bike around to the carport and nearly lost it at low speed in the yard as my balance was still pretty bad & my skills rusty too I guess, so I sold it. Fella and his GF love it, I feel really good about that sale.

I know that the trike, as nice as it is, won't bring a lot … nor do I need it to, I think we'll keep it another year anyway as I just renewed tags, etc …. but satisfy ourselves with mostly local rides to dinner, etc. If I see we aren't using it, then I'll put a low number on it and cut it loose with no regrets. The original owner who was a dealer when he converted it in 1998 has expressed an interest, one of his sons I think wants it.

It's that way with my old '77 F150 4x4, I have had since 1986. In the '90s I bought new bed sides & doors & over the years accumulated many other parts thinking I was gonna "redo" it, but I know I won't. I have a '07 I really love to drive (it drives as good as our Mustang & is at least as comfortable), it runs super, and I am gonna nearly give that older '77 away with all the stuff to go with it, including a freshened up 400 on a stand … and throw in the stand. Got an old buddy picked out, he has a farm, loves old Ford PUs, restores tractors, gonna make him happy I think. Then I'll be one less set of tags & tires to buy. I did sell a '92 Thunderbird Sport to another buddy, made him a really good deal, thought I'd regret it ... but not yet … it feels good still.

My problem was I never learned to "cut 'em loose" soon enough. :D It's not that I spend a lot on vehicles, I just kept too many too long. We have a 2001 Mercury I bought in 2001, it's like new, life in a carport & under cover, has 92,000 "road miles" (with three trips to the west coast even). We bought a 1985 Thunderbird in '86, sold it in 2009.

I know, "get back to the trike"! Anyway … Thank You ALL!

Tough call Pistol, seems like I've been there done that. My GW Road Smith trike began sitting in the garage way too much, a a 2005, beginning to have problems and I was not a happy camper, so thinking ride or no ride....Went to the dealer and test rode the 2020 Canam Spyder several times and I could not resist pulling the trigger with the upgrades and the 47 gallons of storage, an the wife liked it as well. So we scheduled a ride from home in FL to TN in July as we do most years to ride those fine mountain roads and enjoy the scenery.

So we have discovered new enthusiasm for the ride and will explore for a few more years, at least that is the plan. Oh yes, on more thing, I'm 87, Millie's 79 and fortunate to be in good health, so thinking, if I can just make it to 90 and get my leg over......:D But I can tell you, working on the Spyder is no easy task especially if you are a 'senior', nor is it on the cheap, I think an oil and filter change might be the extent of my mechanical abilities.

Tough call Pistol, seems like I've been there done that. My GW Road Smith trike began sitting in the garage way too much, a a 2005, beginning to have problems and I was not a happy camper, so thinking ride or no ride....Went to the dealer and test rode the 2020 Canam Spyder several times and I could not resist pulling the trigger with the upgrades and the 47 gallons of storage, an the wife liked it as well. So we scheduled a ride from home in FL to TN in July as we do most years to ride those fine mountain roads and enjoy the scenery.

So we have discovered new enthusiasm for the ride and will explore for a few more years, at least that is the plan. Oh yes, on more thing, I'm 87, Millie's 79 and fortunate to be in good health, so thinking, if I can just make it to 90 and get my leg over......:D But I can tell you, working on the Spyder is no easy task especially if you are a 'senior', nor is it on the cheap, I think an oil and filter change might be the extent of my mechanical abilities.

Have fun on your trip to TN. You and Millie are an inspiration. :high5:

Tough call Pistol, seems like I've been there done that. … etc … So we have discovered new enthusiasm for the ride and will explore for a few more years, at least that is the plan. Oh yes, on more thing, I'm 87, Millie's 79 and fortunate to be in good health, so thinking, if I can just make it to 90 and get my leg over......:D But I can tell you, working on the Spyder is no easy task especially if you are a 'senior', nor is it on the cheap, I think an oil and filter change might be the extent of my mechanical abilities.

I'm humbled now. I've looked at those, but wife says no. The original owner / former dealer who once built our trike has a Can Am, rides all over the place, takes off on days long rides alone, seems happy with it, I'm guessing mid '70s. Many more miles to you both!;)

Ahh, too bad Pistol, I had no problem with wifey on that point, she was sold on the demo ride. She is so enthused, she's up for the $49 BRM rebate to get her certification. Do I see myself on the pillion, no, but I might be the iPhone taking some pics. :>) Man, you are blessed with some of the 'best' riding country, but you already know that. Thanks for the response and I wish you well for rides as long as the decal lasts and then there's another decision.

I'm humbled now. I've looked at those, but wife says no. The original owner / former dealer who once built our trike has a Can Am, rides all over the place, takes off on days long rides alone, seems happy with it, I'm guessing mid '70s. Many more miles to you both!;)

Awww come on Crystal... you and your wife are still young pistols... both of you go for a test ride on the 2020 Spyder RT or RT Limited. You would be pleasantly surprised at the handling and comfort. Be sure to know that the throttle and power steering is very quick so proceed with a light hand...at first til you get the feel of it.

I am still pursuing one of these myself...especially now that they have a regular motorcycle top rear trunk instead of the wormhole that was there in earlier RTL models. Maybe next year for an unsold 2020 unit...

At that point myself. Posted the intent to stop riding and sell both units not too long ago because of a detached retina in the right eye and sometimes having problems seeing out of the left. BUT - the virus thing has seriously impacted the idea of selling. Grinding the gears in my mind has me thinking to sell the Prowler, but keep the Stallion. Still, not sure of the market in the near future. Just in a holding pattern right now making use of trickle chargers.

Update 07-13-20 ..... Decision was made

Well, "Wife Unit" and I have discussed it several times and we took a good long ride the other day, halfway through it she mentioned how once we'd have jumped on the trike, but this time, neither of us even mentioned the trike. She knows my balance is compromised and while I feel safe on the trike, she doesn't quite like she once did … and she worries if something caused me to not be able to ride, she doesn't feel like she could. She's got a history of GI problems, we have seen times we had to abort a plan and get her home or to a hospital. She explained that she just does not enjoy the rides on the trike like once upon a time. Like I said earlier, sold both bikes, only the trike remains (as I didn't feel safe on either of the bikes).

Decision was made.

The original couple who bought the 1500 when it was a new off the truck 1997 bike converted it in 1998, the gentleman has moved back here after his wife's passing, and a son really wants the trike, so before offering it elsewhere, I let him know I was open to letting it go. He jumped on it, trike, trailer, spares, literature, books, etc. His dad seemed pleased too, it'll go out west, maybe he joins T-T, he'll need some help I'm sure, his dad will help him with info I know. I think they'll come Wednesday to take it.

I even made a slight discount if they would come on and get it this week as when I decide to sell, I want it gone. I know there'll be times we miss it, but "the kindest cut is quick & clean".

I'm good with it, it'll be gone away where we won't see it on the road locally. He'll take great care of it, his mom would approve too. I'll still be lurking here ... if you all let me, I enjoy the banter.

We bought it on a short whim in 2004, was at a chapter meeting when the trike was offered to another couple in my presence. After seeing they weren't going to take it, after making sure of that … I took the offer (the other couple ended up with a yellow '03 Champion I think, bumble bees on it). I soon built a room on a unused basement patio then, that is the "trike room". We have many miles of memories with our chapter friends in the years since joining them in 1997, but so many are gone or moved on to other pursuits. Spent 4 years as CE, 2 as ACD, then 6 as GWRRA CD. We agreed that if either of us missed it, we'd fill the void with another, newer ride. We know that now our rides would likely be alone, we loved the group thing.

I'm ready.

Well, "Wife Unit" and I have discussed it several times and we took a good long ride the other day, halfway through it she mentioned how once we'd have jumped on the trike, but this time, neither of us even mentioned the trike. She knows my balance is compromised and while I feel safe on the trike, she doesn't quite like she once did … and she worries if something caused me to not be able to ride, she doesn't feel like she could. She's got a history of GI problems, we have seen times we had to abort a plan and get her home or to a hospital. She explained that she just does not enjoy the rides on the trike like once upon a time. Like I said earlier, sold both bikes, only the trike remains (as I didn't feel safe on either of the bikes).

Decision was made.

The original couple who bought the 1500 when it was a new off the truck 1997 bike converted it in 1998, the gentleman has moved back here after his wife's passing, and a son really wants the trike, so before offering it elsewhere, I let him know I was open to letting it go. He jumped on it, trike, trailer, spares, literature, books, etc. His dad seemed pleased too, it'll go out west, maybe he joins T-T, he'll need some help I'm sure, his dad will help him with info I know. I think they'll come Wednesday to take it.

I even made a slight discount if they would come on and get it this week as when I decide to sell, I want it gone. I know there'll be times we miss it, but "the kindest cut is quick & clean".

I'm good with it, it'll be gone away where we won't see it on the road locally. He'll take great care of it, his mom would approve too. I'll still be lurking here ... if you all let me, I enjoy the banter.

We bought it on a short whim in 2004, was at a chapter meeting when the trike was offered to another couple in my presence. After seeing they weren't going to take it, after making sure of that … I took the offer (the other couple ended up with a yellow '03 Champion I think, bumble bees on it). I soon built a room on a unused basement patio then, that is the "trike room". We have many miles of memories with our chapter friends in the years since joining them in 1997, but so many are gone or moved on to other pursuits. Spent 4 years as CE, 2 as ACD, then 6 as GWRRA CD. We agreed that if either of us missed it, we'd fill the void with another, newer ride. We know that now our rides would likely be alone, we loved the group thing.

I'm ready.

ThumbUp.......

Les, sounds like you made the right decision for your circumstances, best of luck in whatever happens, just don't be a stranger here because you don't have your ride anymore.

That's cool.

dijAMBGd_o.png

Last edited:
Les, sounds like you made the right decision for your circumstances, best of luck in whatever happens, just don't be a stranger here because you don't have your ride anymore.

I agree. It' so much easier to let go when you have a buyer that really wants it, not just looking for a deal.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png