WTB Digital on board air system for MotorTrike

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
I'm thinking adding an on board air compressor system for the air bags on our 2006 GW1800 MotorTrike Spyder. While I know its a stretch I thought perhaps someone on the board may have one to sell setting in their garage. Has anyone added a generic system to fill the airbags?

Bill

A friend of mine had the manual fill Schrader valve on his MT spider. I converted it to onboard compressor with analog gage and control (with minimum 15 pound auto on switch). I don't remember the cost but it is doable. If you don't have any luck finding a digital system, give me a holler.. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I can't speak to the quality of that unit Bill. Air Lift makes good stuff so I suspect it's OK.. I don't see any mention of a pressure monitor switch. Your bags should have a minimum of 15 pounds in them if I recall correctly. If you connect power via a run only voltage source and the air shocks are below that, the switch activates the power relay which in then turns the pump on as soon as you turn the ignition on. To me it's a necessary item. The only outer issue I see is the encapsulated compressor may not fit where Motor Trike puts the onboard pump. Here is the pump mounted in my friend's MT. As you can see, it's a bit cozy in there.... :)

IMG_0628.JPG

This does get a bit involved when you start considering all the angles. If you want to talk a bit shoot me a PM with your phone #.. I'll be glad to help all I can. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Why dont you just buy the onboard compressor and digital readout from Motortrike??

I am looking at that option. So far haven't been able to get a price. MotorTrike doesn't want to sell direct if you live within a reasonable distant to a dealer. I've called my local dealer but no price yet. My guess is the factory unit is going to be twice what an aftermarket unit will cost. I'll post the cost when I get it.

Bill

When I did my friend's Spider I did check with Motor Trike. That was back when they would sell directly to us. If I recall he cost was close to $500. I'm sure that was not a wholesale price so maybe a dealer can get at least close to that number. :Shrug:

My dealer says he thinks the last one they sold they also installed and it was about $950 dollars. They sure are proud of them!

Bill

Bill I think you could put together the system I did for about $150. I wish I had kept the numbers but I did not. The big ticket part is the compressor and it is less than $80. BTW - this is the exact compressor MT used at the time.

I can purchase the other unit I listed for 107.00. I'm also considering this unit;

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-258...eless+AIR+LIFT+25804+Air+Shock+Controller+Kit

which is wireless and I wouldn't have to run air line for a gauge, this unit also has presets and minimum air pressure settings.

Bill

thats the one i just installed on my motortrike.

it works great. it does have a 5 psi min.

i did not wire it directly to the battery , instead put it on a toggle switch.

main reason is, it will maintain the pressure you set it at. so if you let your trike set for a week or more and your airbags drop a few pounds the compressor will run on it's own. did, nt want that happening.

i turn the toggle switch on after i start the bike and shut it off after shutting the bike off.

i checked the remote digital readout against a good pressure guage and it's right on.

i had to fab a bracket to bolt where the kickstand used to be. only real problem was

finding a place for the wiring.

but it works fantastic.

I can purchase the other unit I listed for 107.00. I'm also considering this unit;

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-258...eless+AIR+LIFT+25804+Air+Shock+Controller+Kit

which is wireless and I wouldn't have to run air line for a gauge, this unit also has presets and minimum air pressure settings.

Bill

Now this one is worth thinking seriously about Bill!! Still has the encapsulated compressor that I don't know would fit where MT does theirs but you may be OK... The low pressure switch might be adjustable but if not at least having the five pounds would be better than none. Going wireless it a definite PLUS. That was one part of my friends system that I was not happy with. Just might be worth the extra money... :) :)

Now this one is worth thinking seriously about Bill!! Still has the encapsulated compressor that I don't know would fit where MT does theirs but you may be OK... The low pressure switch might be adjustable but if not at least having the five pounds would be better than none. Going wireless it a definite PLUS. That was one part of my friends system that I was not happy with. Just might be worth the extra money... :) :)

low pressure switch is not adjustable. it it programmed into the sensor. no way to change it.

but you'll never run that low of air pressure anyway unless you blow a line or bag. then the toggle switch would come in handy..

just shut it off to keep the compressor from running all the time.

Did anyone look at the unit right next to it on the list

Its adjustabel and DIGITAL readout

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JUX1S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found the aforementioned unit at Amazon in the Warehouse Opened Box version for 206 and bought it. I should have it this next Wednesday and will post how things go. At least with digital wireless I won't have to run tubing to the front and the 12V shouldn't be difficult. I'm going to include an inline fuse instead of a switch so if something fails I'll just pull the fuse. Standby for photos and action.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png