Gas mileage on a stock M8 harley triglide

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Aug 27, 2016
Des Moines IA US
Just curious what everybody on a stock M8 Triglide getting for miles per gallon. I have been checking mine here lately and the best I can do is 34 mpg, I know it has a wide rear end and doesn't help with the wind drag but I'm curious is all because I keep hearing about people getting around 40mpg. Now today I went for a ride and then got gas and lo and behold, I got 37 mpg, was a very happy camper on this, but this has been the only time since I have own the trike and I bought it new, it is a 2018 if you want to know. I didn't drive it any different than I always do and I get gas at the same place all the time, it has around 5,500 miles on it, I know I know not very many miles like most of you but that is it and I'm not going to argue one way or the other why so little miles, I'm in the wind and that is what counts for me, most of can ride year round and that is good, I can't and I live with that and I know people in my state of iowa drive more miles than me, good for them.

Let me know what you are getting mpg on a stock motor and I don't plan on doing any other work to my trike, keeping stock, I had the two wheelers for my hot rods and I'm not into that any more.

All for now Trampas

Just curious what everybody on a stock M8 Triglide getting for miles per gallon. I have been checking mine here lately and the best I can do is 34 mpg, I know it has a wide rear end and doesn't help with the wind drag but I'm curious is all because I keep hearing about people getting around 40mpg. Now today I went for a ride and then got gas and lo and behold, I got 37 mpg, was a very happy camper on this, but this has been the only time since I have own the trike and I bought it new, it is a 2018 if you want to know. I didn't drive it any different than I always do and I get gas at the same place all the time, it has around 5,500 miles on it, I know I know not very many miles like most of you but that is it and I'm not going to argue one way or the other why so little miles, I'm in the wind and that is what counts for me, most of can ride year round and that is good, I can't and I live with that and I know people in my state of iowa drive more miles than me, good for them.

Let me know what you are getting mpg on a stock motor and I don't plan on doing any other work to my trike, keeping stock, I had the two wheelers for my hot rods and I'm not into that any more.

All for now Trampas

On my Stock 2019 Triglide I’m getting 39 /43…..Remember now it’s tricky to fill the tank with exactly the same amount each time so and with a relatively small tank, even a few ounces of gas up or down affect your mileage figures..

On my Stock 2019 Triglide I’m getting 39 /43…..Remember now it’s tricky to fill the tank with exactly the same amount each time so and with a relatively small tank, even a few ounces of gas up or down affect your mileage figures..

When I get gas I usually fill up to the lip if you know what I mean, I usually bump or shake the handlebars a few times and this allows me to get more in so basically I fill it the same every time, maybe the gas I got the last time was better than usual, who knows, but I would like to get 39 or 40 mpg, was very happy today with the 37 and maybe it was because their was some wind but not very windy like usual, I don't check it if it has been really windy and blows me around a little, I just know it won't be good.

Thanks for the rely rhino 2

All for now Trampas

2021 Ultra that was converted to a CSC trike. Think my bike is a little heavier than yours/

Took an 80-mile trip today and according to the info system, I averaged 34.9 mpg. So, at this rate, with a 6-gal tank, I can run 210 miles. This was mostly around town miles.

On the highway trips, I have noticed that when I fill the tank, it says I can cover about 253 miles. Given this same ration, it appears I will average 42 mpg on the highway.

Might I suggest you try guesstimating your miles during a trip. I believe you will be very pleased. Let us know what you discover.

Trip from Kansas to east coast and back in early June with my wife. Roughly 3,500 miles round trip. Kansas/Missouri was 91 octane. On east was 93 octane. I'm guesstimating that average highway speed on back roads (stayed off interstates as much as possible) was 60 mph. Hand calculated mpg was anywhere from 29 to 35 depending on segment conditions. GTS calculated mpg was over 40. GTS mpg mileage on my triglide is a joke. I never got anywhere near that on any segment of the trip. Some people may get that mileage but we do not.

I ride the speed limit or less.. No rush I just enjoy the ride and watch out for the other drivers.. Not sure why to burn Hi-Test always, I switch from that to Reg. every other tank. Mileage is 34 to 40. It works for me.......ThumbUp

Thanks for all the replies, guess I will just deal with it, sounds like I'm pretty average mpg, the last tank was 37 and very happy with that. I always fill it the same each time or least try to. I'm around 2 miles to a highway and that is all I drive is highway, bypass or interstate, I try not to do city driving because of pot holes etc etc.

All for now Trampas

Non ethanol 90 octane Bob

The reason why I asked was I always swore by 93 octane I’ve used it for years in all my trikes late last year I painted the tips of the stock exhaust red and I’ve been noticing that I get a black exhaust discoloration on the red tips I guess because of the of the red paint I just noticed the black discoloration, Well I just decided what the hell I can’t get 91 octane in jersey so I use 89 octane. It has ethanol in it and I’ve noticed that from my 37 miles to the gallon the gas mileage went up to 39 to 43 and I don’t notice any difference in performance if not it feels like it runs a little better since I have switched to 89 quite a while ago but I wasn’t gonna post it till I was sure(In not the type of guy who put something new on and runs around the block for short ride and says this is the best thing since sliced bread) and so I’m on 5th + tank ‘ . Maybe it’s just me ?….Maybe more time will tell?

Same here depending on where I drive. I hardly ever do interstate and that really sucks the gas.

have not ever checked it... tells me when it hits reserve & I just put the gas in... really don't care.

Now that is a lousy attitude how can others know what gas mileage you’re getting so they can compare it to what they are getting…And confirm if they are getting bad mileage or good mileage’ Or average mileage….😁..

Now that is a lousy attitude how can others know what gas mileage you’re getting so they can compare it to what they are getting…And confirm if they are getting bad mileage or good mileage’ Or average mileage….😁..

not attitude ,for people who read post/. I SAID I NEVER CHECK IT. i dont care what it is READ Man

I get 37, 38 mpg keeping speed at 65 mph < 3000 rpm. At 75 mph it's 34-35 mpg.

That's your best response yet.

Octane is a fuel additive that is designed to reduce engine knock and dieseling (run-on). Lead used to be added to reduce knock. Ethanol is, of course, alcohol, which is added to reduce emissions. Both Octane additives and Alcohol do not burn as efficiently as gasoline. Both of those additives dilute the gasoline. 10% ethanol is quite a bit of dilution. Alcohol burns, but not as good as gasoline.

Mileage: Fill your tank. Start a trip which requires several fill-ups. It won't matter how full you fill your tank on subsequent fill-ups until you top off at the end of the trip. Calculate your mileage at the end of the trip using the total amount of gas used over the entire trip. You'll get a better average.

My 2018 stock M8 was getting 38mpg. With my SE Stage 2 I'm getting closer to 40mpg. Cruising at 3,000 rpm. Higher speeds and rpm's will affect mileage... but we all know that. :)

The reason why I asked was I always swore by 93 octane I’ve used it for years in all my trikes late last year I painted the tips of the stock exhaust red and I’ve been noticing that I get a black exhaust discoloration on the red tips I guess because of the of the red paint I just noticed the black discoloration, Well I just decided what the hell I can’t get 91 octane in jersey so I use 89 octane. It has ethanol in it and I’ve noticed that from my 37 miles to the gallon the gas mileage went up to 39 to 43 and I don’t notice any difference in performance if not it feels like it runs a little better since I have switched to 89 quite a while ago but I wasn’t gonna post it till I was sure(In not the type of guy who put something new on and runs around the block for short ride and says this is the best thing since sliced bread) and so I’m on 5th + tank ‘ . Maybe it’s just me ?….Maybe more time will tell?

I like this since it is hard to find a good gas without ethanol in and I might just try this sometime, thanks for this

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png