H-D M8; Bloom Is Off The Rose ................

After the issues I had getting out of the box with mine, the dealer did step up and add a 2 year extended warranty which I will extend further than that. Since getting the trike back the last time I have had no issues except with the key fobs. They don't unlock the security initially but after running a bit, they do unlock it. The dealer is going to fix that. AS far as performance of the M8, I could not be happier. Excellent power, cooler running and better mileage. excellent front forks and smooth transmission.

I am keeping mine.

Drop-Tail Trailer

Sorry, but I have to briefly "hijack" this thread. What kind of trailer is that your using ? Looks a lot like a Kendon.

Now back to your previously recorded subject.

8~\o

That is a DCT 2200 folding Drop-Tail trailer that happens to be made in Texas IIRC. They are about $3.3k or less depending on the factory sale and currently have a flat-rate shipping special of $100 anywhere in the USA. They are really incredible pieces of equipment of trikes and bikes.

Attachments

• 2017 TGU.jpg
    2017 TGU.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 96
I think any new model of engine will always have some shake out issues to be resolved before the engine is perfected.

My Dad was a mechanical engineer and always told me to never buy the first year of any car/motorcycle because the kinks are not worked out.

I suspect that once the kinks are worked out, the M8 will be one of the best engines Harley has ever produced. I have a 15 Tri Glide and I am green with envy over the M8. Eventually I will upgrade to a new Tri Glide and will love the smooth idle feature.

I think any new model of engine will always have some shake out issues to be resolved before the engine is perfected.

My Dad was a mechanical engineer and always told me to never buy the first year of any car/motorcycle because the kinks are not worked out.

I suspect that once the kinks are worked out, the M8 will be one of the best engines Harley has ever produced. I have a 15 Tri Glide and I am green with envy over the M8. Eventually I will upgrade to a new Tri Glide and will love the smooth idle feature.
I have a 2015 TG also. I'll have to wait until about 2020 or so before I can trade. Hard telling what engine they will come up with between now and then. :confused:

I have a 2015 TG also. I'll have to wait until about 2020 or so before I can trade. Hard telling what engine they will come up with between now and then. :confused:

Consitter, I just had the engine discussion with someone else and if you look historically at the MOCO, they tend to stick with an engine platform for about 12-15 years per iteration. I suspect that the M8 with be with us well into the late 2020's.

I have an Indian and very impressed with the two engines Polaris put together. But they had gain a lot of experience with Victory too. I think Harley's M8 will be another winner just like their EVO engine. Give it time. They aren't as good at first time stuff over there.:D

The one thing I don't like about the M8 engine is the smoothness. I bought a Harley for the traditional shake. If I wanted a smooth engine, I would have kept my Yamahas.
Guess I'll have to keep my '14 TG until the end. Not much time left anyway.

The one thing I don't like about the M8 engine is the smoothness. I bought a Harley for the traditional shake. If I wanted a smooth engine, I would have kept my Yamahas.
Guess I'll have to keep my '14 TG until the end. Not much time left anyway.

I like my 111 Thunderstroke engine in my Indian and partly due to the fact it is smooth. I suppose if you want the old shake you to death thing you can always pull a plug wire or two. Heck I don't even know how many plugs the M8 uses. My VTX had 4 so wouldn't surprise this does too. Some things Harley could pick up on would certainly help them.

I like my 111 Thunderstroke engine in my Indian and partly due to the fact it is smooth. I suppose if you want the old shake you to death thing you can always pull a plug wire or two. Heck I don't even know how many plugs the M8 uses. My VTX had 4 so wouldn't surprise this does too. Some things Harley could pick up on would certainly help them.
The M8 has 4 plugs... My Hemi Ram has 16 plugs...

First 1,000 miles completed

Well, After a slightly interesting start of my M8 which resulted in some o-ring changes and a low oil pressure light that flickered x3 after I took possession, I am happy to report that I went out today and rode about 260 miles today and have about 1020 miles on the clock. Now, I get to change fluids, precisely follow the 1000 mile service schedule and on to the next milestone which will be 5,000 miles.

Like some others that have commented on the M8 engine in a Tri Glide Ultra, the experience is delightful. The 850 rpm idle is a bit weird and the thankfully the hydraulic clutch that tends to only engage in the last 20% of its engagement travel is surrounded by three wheels that lend ultimate stability and more reassurance that the take-offs will be smooth enough.

I don't see how this current iteration of clutch will allow for rodeo riding that some of my friends engage in. The clutch is just not linear enough IMHO to get the job done with nearly as much finesse. Oh well, nothing is ever perfect but this M8 engine is a real delight in where it makes torque/power and has a very nice rumble as I ride down the road.

To say that it is growing on me with every ride would be quite an accurate statement. I loved the low-end torque of the M8 from the beginning but am beginning to appreciate the M8 lump's increased smoothness rolling down the road as compared to my 2016 103.

Well, After a slightly interesting start of my M8 which resulted in some o-ring changes and a low oil pressure light that flickered x3 after I took possession, I am happy to report that I went out today and rode about 260 miles today and have about 1020 miles on the clock. Now, I get to change fluids, precisely follow the 1000 mile service schedule and on to the next milestone which will be 5,000 miles. Like some others that have commented on the M8 engine in a Tri Glide Ultra, the experience is delightful. The 850 rpm idle is a bit weird and the thankfully the hydraulic clutch that tends to only engage in the last 20% of its engagement travel is surrounded by three wheels that lend ultimate stability and more reassurance that the take-offs will be smooth enough.

I don't see how this current iteration of clutch will allow for rodeo riding that some of my friends engage in. The clutch is just not linear enough IMHO to get the job done with nearly as much finesse. Oh well, nothing is ever perfect but this M8 engine is a real delight in where it makes torque/power and has a very nice rumble as I ride down the road. To say that it is growing on me with every ride would be quite an accurate statement. I loved the low-end torque of the M8 from the beginning but am beginning to appreciate the M8 lump's increased smoothness rolling down the road as compared to my 2016 103.
Not trying to say anything negative here, but you really ought to start your own thread with all these great posts about your bike. They are kind of getting lost in this thread of 'the bloom is off the rose' IMHO.

Not trying to say anything negative here, but you really ought to start your own thread with all these great posts about your bike. They are kind of getting lost in this thread of 'the bloom is off the rose' IMHO.

Consitter, I think that is an excellent suggestion. Having now owned three trikes and 96 other motorcycles, I think I can add a bit of insight into what this M8-engineed trike brings to the table in comparison to its slightly older 103cu brother. In the next day or two, I will start a thread and sum up what the bike is about to this 1k mile mark from approximately day one as best I can ascertain and then periodically update the thread as I find interesting points of interest on the trike. Bob

Consitter, I think that is an excellent suggestion. Having now owned three trikes and 96 other motorcycles, I think I can add a bit of insight into what this M8-engineed trike brings to the table in comparison to its slightly older 103cu brother. In the next day or two, I will start a thread and sum up what the bike is about to this 1k mile mark from approximately day one as best I can ascertain and then periodically update the thread as I find interesting points of interest on the trike. Bob
ThumbUp

I don't have a "shake you to death" thing. Just a nice mild vibration - which lets me know the bike is still running and keeps me awake. I've sat on a lot of UJM bikes and couldn't tell if they were running or not = BO-O-O-ORING! :D

I don't have a "shake you to death" thing. Just a nice mild vibration - which lets me know the bike is still running and keeps me awake. I've sat on a lot of UJM bikes and couldn't tell if they were running or not = BO-O-O-ORING! :D
One of the reason's I kept coming back to a Harley from Honda or Kawasaki back in the AMF days.

My M8 isnt Goldwing smooth but compared to my 16 103 the improvement is very noticeable. I still think back to my 79 Low Rider,solid mount 4 spd shovel and my 92 Heritage,at highway speed the Heritage would put my hands to sleep after about a 100 miles and i had to keep moving my feet back on the floor boards.Aw those were the days lol.

My M8 isnt Goldwing smooth but compared to my 16 103 the improvement is very noticeable. I still think back to my 79 Low Rider,solid mount 4 spd shovel and my 92 Heritage,at highway speed the Heritage would put my hands to sleep after about a 100 miles and i had to keep moving my feet back on the floor boards.Aw those were the days lol.
I'm surprised you even made it that far. I do not miss those days

Went out and rode my '79 Harley FLH yesterday for a few miles. Fun to ride ....for a few miles but glad to get back to the garage and park it. My body won't take too much of that anymore but fun for a bit. Back to the trike!

Sunman

:D At 71, I sure as hell don't think I could. That is why I gave up the Limited Low after riding it for one year. I got tired of my thighs starting to go numb at traffic lights when I had to put my feet down.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png