Newbie considering buying a 2008 XL 1200 w/Lehman Raider Trike

Newbie considering buying a 2008 XL 1200 w/Lehman Raider Trike

I'd never ridden a trike before, but I took this used one out for a trial run last week ~ one mile out and one mile back to the (car) dealership. The handlebars shook the whole time (mildly) It wasn't too bad, but it could get annoying after 15+ minutes on the road. When I started to turn back at mid-test, however, the bike didn't want to turn. I had to wrangle it around 180Ā° to go back "home." The salesman (who didn't even have a motorcycle driver's license) said "They all do it" My response was "I'll think about it and get back to you."

My question, as a non-trike owner about to buy one is, is this problem specific to Sportster? More importantly, is it correctable? There were no apparent fork aids that I could see, like a fork brace or stabilizer bar. I looked at some catalog sites, but stabilizers aren't even available for a 2008 XL. Aside from the obvious things like a bent rim or loose spokes, etc., are Sportster hosts w/trike kits known for the problems I describe?

Or should I should pass on the XL, and look for FL and FX-host trikes instead.

Re: Newbie considering buying a 2008 XL 1200 w/Lehman Raider Trike

I have a 2006 Sportster trike and do not have the troubles you experienced on your test ride. It may be that the trike you rode would benefit from a rake kit or it may have other issues.

If you were wanting to do any touring you may want a bigger model than the Sportster. I've been happy with mine but I don't do any long distance trips.

Lehman is a good kit. My Trinity Trike kit is a nightmare and I'm saving my bucks for a Frankenstein conversion.

Good luck with your quest for the right trike and keep doing test rides if you can.

I found *part* of my answer already! Instead of my head buried in the "Harley Trikes" area, I found "Conversion Brands General Discussion" where Ol' Grey posted a Lehman Trike Manual http://www.lehmantrikes.com/img/cms_doc/lehmanonline.pdf. I guess I've got some read'n to do.....

Check the air pressure in the rear tires. Most unknowingly over inflate their rear tires and this causes a bad ride and in your example wild headshake. Put 20 psi in rear and 35psi front. The rear suspension has stock coilover shocks that might be adjusted too hard also.

Sportsters with Lehman kits or other kits are not known for this problem. My wife rides an 09. Bought it with 4000 miles and it did turn harder than my Tri Glide but had no shaking in handlebars. Put a 5 degree rake on and it now turns like power steering and still no shaking. She just loves it. Stabilizers or braces should not be necessary. I'd have someone look at it before buying.

Thank you *all* for commenting and the info. I've read the Lehman manual, it looks like I'll have to buy / install a triple-tree, and I found 2 sources for stabilizers if it comes down to that.

Once the weather clears (in Philadelphia) I'm going to go back to the dealer and offer $1,500 less (for the cost of parts to make right.) or ask him fix it *before* I buy it.

I'll bet you could beat him down further than $1500. I'd point out all the safety hazards of the crazy test ride you had, remind him it is November and it could be on the lot all winter, and shoot him a lowball price. It can't hurt to try...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tw0fast4u

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tw0fast4u
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png