Oil pressure gauge.

Rogue1

400+ Posts
Oct 8, 2018
Ramseur NC USA
I've been looking at my 19 Tri Glide and trying to figure out where I can put in a oil pressure gauge. The only thing I can see is to put a 1/8 inch national pipe thread T where the oil pressure sending unit currently is and continue to use the current setup along with the gauge. Has anybody installed an oil pressure gauge on their 14 and later Tri Glide?

I thought the Triglides came with an oil pressure qauge? Any whoo check out Dakota digital for some cool stuff. I installed a A1 Cycles oil pressure gauge which is oil filled and it's on my Freewheeler. There's an extra bung down near the oil pressure sensor and it just screws in. (get a kid with small hands to do it) the gauge itself mounts on the rear cylinder rocker cover. Non electric non lighted.

I thought the Triglides came with an oil pressure qauge? Any whoo check out Dakota digital for some cool stuff. I installed a A1 Cycles oil pressure gauge which is oil filled and it's on my Freewheeler. There's an extra bung down near the oil pressure sensor and it just screws in. (get a kid with small hands to do it) the gauge itself mounts on the rear cylinder rocker cover. Non electric non lighted.

I have Dakota digital dash now. I called Dakota digital and they do not make anything for the Tri Glide. All the 19 Tri Glide has is an idiot light. I have not found anyone who makes one for the late model Tri glides, including Harley-Davidson. Since an electric gauge would have to come right from the ECU, it would have to be a manual gauge with a oil line right to the gauge itself. There are aftermarket kits but I'm just curious if anyone has installed one and how and where they hooked it up.

I thought the Triglides came with an oil pressure qauge? .

They Harley did away with the oil pressure gauge on the tri guides a few years ago … My 2011 triglide had the factory oil gauge and that and $.20 would get me a ride on the subway totally useless piece of equipment….Me’ I prefer the so called idiot light i’m usually busy checking the situation on the road, And not staring at gauges so when the gauge reads low, I won’t see it in time but when/if a light goes on that immediately gets my attention..🛑🛑

They Harley did away with the oil pressure gauge on the tri guides a few years ago … My 2011 triglide had the factory oil gauge and that and $.20 would get me a ride on the subway totally useless piece of equipment….Me’ I prefer the so called idiot light i’m usually busy checking the situation on the road, And not staring at gauges so when the gauge reads low, I won’t see it in time but when/if a light goes on that immediately gets my attention..🛑🛑

You're correct about the idiot light. My intent is to keep that. I find myself constantly checking the dash and my gauges speedometer,voltage, engine light etc.

You're correct about the idiot light. My intent is to keep that. I find myself constantly checking the dash and my gauges speedometer,voltage, engine light etc.

A lot of newbie’s would panic when they saw the oil gauge needle on their Harley drop to near zero at an idle …Which is normal on a dry sump ..

What you say is true BUT: HD had a bad batch of oil pressure sensors/ senders. My low oil pressure lamp would come on intermittently. If not for the oil pressure gauge I would have had to shut down. There's nothing more dangerous than sitting on the shoulder of the road. Those with less experience than we here would be forced shut down and call for a tow. There's a reason why it's called an "idiot lamp".

A lot of newbie’s would panic when they saw the oil gauge needle on their Harley drop to near zero at an idle …Which is normal on a dry sump ..

Agree on the panic when seeing a low oil pressure on an HD at idle, that is why most old timers will say forget about the oil pressure gauge, it will just make you nervous.

The reason for the low oil pressure is not due to the dry sump, it is due to the fact that the engines have roller bearings which do not restrict oil flow like plain bearings do.

Roller bearings do not need high oil pressure, just sufficient oil flow.

Agree on the panic when seeing a low oil pressure on an HD at idle, that is why most old timers will say forget about the oil pressure gauge, it will just make you nervous.

The reason for the low oil pressure is not due to the dry sump, it is due to the fact that the engines have roller bearings which do not restrict oil flow like plain bearings do.

Roller bearings do not need high oil pressure, just sufficient oil flow.

I would still like to have one. My 2015 Ultra Limited had one (among other bikes) and it was a nice tool to have. A little common sense and knowledge of your motorcycle go a long way. I'm sure the "panic mode" was one reason stopped using them on most bikes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png