Tilt Bed Trailer

I have a tilt bed but have not loaded Pearl on it,but it sure works great on lawn mowers. When the weather gets better I will try it.

I have one of those standard single axle utility trailers you see carrying lawn mowers on. I have loaded my Valk trike on it but I also had to place cement blocks under the dropped down ramp to raise the angle and then made 3 extension ramps. With out using this setup, the trike bottoms at the deck's pivot point with the ramp.

I need a different trailer. :(

I have a 6 1/2 X 10 Landscape type trailer [drop axle] My Tri Glide gos up and down without a problem. No extra ramps needed. I bought it a few years ago because my previous Trike [can am] was always breaking down.

I would think you would need to have the trailer built exactly for your trike.
a few problems.
the hinge has to be in the exact position for your weight/length cargo.

If the hinge is too far foward or backward the bed will either start lowering before the rear wheels are on the bed or the bed will not lower at all after the trike is on.

To aclompish this most tilt bed trailers for equipment are longer than the equipment to be loaded and the front few feet of the trailer bed is fixed so for a 10' trike you would need a 12' trailer with only 10' of the bed tiltable. Also you would want to invest in a Hyd. shock so when the tiltable portion of the bed drop it do so slowly.

This could easily add $500-750 to the cost of a standard ramp trailer.

A less expensive solition to the ramp angle would be to have your open trailer constructed with the last 2 feet of deck built as a dovetail, this increases the ramp length by 2 foot reducting the ramp angle.

I also just use common sence and find a location with a raised or lowered section of ground to load/unload.

Most everywhere you travel you can find a parking lot with the rasied curb/grass sections throughout.

Step 1 back up to one of the raised areas.
Step 2 fold ramp onto to the edge of the raised area.
Step 3 back trike off onto grass
Step 4 remove ramp from trailer rear, "mine slides sideways about 3" to remove"
Step 5 place ramp on raised section and on parking lot
Step 6 drve traike off grass and onto parking lot
Step 7 replace ramp onto trailer.

This uses the raised section of ground like a stair landing and makes 2 lower incline steps and not one larger incline move.

I posted this in another thread but I will repeat it here.

Here is my solution for draging pipes, I use it on my current trailer. Get one of those adjustable hitch deals that goes in the receiver, the attachment for the ball can be moved up or down to make the hitch more level with the trailer. Then mount the ball to the highest possible position, this will raise the front of the trailer and lower the rear making the ramp have less slope. After the trike is loaded, unhitch from the tow vehicle and change the receiver and ball to the one you want to tow with and hook your trailer back up. Take the other receiver with you to use when unloading. I didn't even tighten the bolts on mine since I don't use it to tow with, that way its easier to adjust to the desired height, you could even use pins instead of bolts. Works for me.

I have a 6 x 12 landscape trailer and if I didn't use blocks to load it I would always drag my pipes -- I bought one of Dennis's lift kits and have not had a problem since.

I have a 6 x 12 landscape trailer and if I didn't use blocks to load it I would always drag my pipes -- I bought one of Dennis's lift kits and have not had a problem since.

What lift kit?

And the adjustable ball hitch Woolie mentioned is another option I'll look into.

I've pulled ATVs with tilt trailers in the past, but never this trike. One thing I do know though is that you need to carry most of the weight (about 65%) forward of the trailer axle, which means that you'll have a lot of empty deck sitting behind the rear axle of the trike...unless you can somehow back the trike on. JMHO

make one out of a car dolly. some guys here & on v-twin forume or touringmdels h-d have made some excellent ones. just bolt the frame so it doesn't pivit.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png