Wards Fan

Wondering if you could install without thermostst and have fans always on. I would guess with the thermo it would kick in a few min after start up and stay on anyway.

You can have it both ways..

It does not kick on with the thermo in a few min. and also depends where the thermo is placed on the heads/jug area.

There is a switch that can be turned on and off also on the fans..

You can have it both ways..

It does not kick on with the thermo in a few min. and also depends where the thermo is placed on the heads/jug area.

There is a switch that can be turned on and off also on the fans..

If your going to install a set of cooling fans,
Dont waste your money on wards fans. They don't put off much air at all. they wont do you any good going down the hwy. might be ok sitting at a red light. But even then they just do blow much.
Now look at the love jugs they look nice on the bike and will move 2 times the air and thats is what you need on that hot motor.

Dont waste your money on wards fans. They don't put off much air at all. they wont do you any good going down the hwy. might be ok sitting at a red light. But even then they just do blow much.
Now look at the love jugs they look nice on the bike and will move 2 times the air and thats is what you need on that hot motor.

I totally disagree with your assessment as I have a 2013 trike and the Wards fans put out a ton of air and reduce my cylinder head temps by 25 to 30 degrees. I don't use the thermo switch intentionally as I prefer the manual operation.

The fans do work.

I HAD mine wired to get power when the switch was turned on and I just left the switch on the fans on, so basically they were on all the time. I do agree that they work and move enough air to do the job, but I had dependability issues with them. They are not waterproof and I do ride in the rain. If you read the information that comes with them it basically says to turn them off in wet conditions, guess I wasn't smart enough to do that. I will say I never had any problems getting repairs done free. I also have to say I never completed a single trip (we travel 3-4 weeks at a time) and got home with both of them still functioning, thus the HAD above, I took them off and am running with no fans and doing just as well on oil temps. I am running a fan assisted Jagg oil cooler and I feel that is a better place to spend your money.

Well I do have the fans and they do cool off the heads. I have seen a 280 deg at the head then turn on the fans and watched the temperature of the heads drop So I know they work..I can run them with the thermostat or just turn them off at the switch..

Good Luck

:mad:Don't have a clue where you are coming from, but i have had Wards fans on my 120r motor for about 2 to 3 years and they work awesome. reduces my ET (engine temp) about 30 degrees!! do you sell the "Love Jugs"??

Roger

:mad:Don't have a clue where you are coming from, but i have had Wards fans on my 120r motor for about 2 to 3 years and they work awesome. reduces my ET (engine temp) about 30 degrees!! do you sell the "Love Jugs"??

Roger

I agree 100% ! I have had mine on this year for about 4000mi so far without a problem one. Works very well ! Even in the rain ! The first ones out weren't waterproof, but the new ones are. Two storms & no problem !

FWIW The only time you would need fan assist would be in heavy stop & go traffic or when you are riding below 30 mph on a hot day for an extended period. If your able to go 30 mph or above you should have plenty of air moving over the engine to cool it without any fans.

Put the Wards on last night.Rode 245 miles today. 90-94* all day.Made 5 gas, water, lunch stops. CHT never went above 330*. Without fans I was usually 380-390*. This was combo highway and back roads.I'm happy.

Nope i do not sale the love jugs but i do have a set on my 2013 trike.
And if you think them wards do you any good going down the road you are wrong. Your wasting your time turning them on. Now going through town stop and go setting and waiting on lights to change is were you need a fan.
And the love jugs are the fan to have. I am sorry you got hooked on them wards that kind of blow but you and i both know there not much air flow coming off them.
My love jugs put out at least 2 times more air flow.
So one more thing if you wards are the best in the west does the love jugs put up a little cash reward to out do them you might want get over there to get payed off lol.
I done the same as you before buy some thing and fine out there is a lot better parts out there sorry for your bad luck. And one last thing i never seen a set of them wards on a bike set and run 12 hours. may be you want to be the 1st and show us how good there are.

And if you think them wards do you any good going down the road you are wrong. Your wasting your time turning them on. Now going through town stop and go setting and waiting on lights to change is were you need a fan.
And the love jugs are the fan to have. I am sorry you got hooked on them wards that kind of blow but you and i both know there not much air flow coming off them.
So one more thing if you wards are the best in the west does the love jugs put up a little cash reward to out do them you might want get over there to get payed off lol.
I done the same as you before buy some thing and fine out there is a lot better parts out there sorry for your bad luck. And one last thing i never seen a set of them wards on a bike set and run 12 hours. may be you want to be the 1st and show us how good there are.
Show me a person that would let an air cooled motor set and run for 12 hours, (fan or no fan) and I'll show you an idiot! :AGGHH:

First of all,,,, If you let the bike idle for an hour, it won't be any hotter in 12 hours if the fans are doing their job. Done mine for an hour with the temps stable both oil & head temps. True it was only about 73* outside, but the Trike was inside and the air temps went up as the trike ran in a small 12'X 24' room. Head temps went to 211* w/fans, & turn the fans off the temp would go to 280*+. Turn the fans back on & the temp will go down again to around 200*-211*. Oil temps were around 160* at the end of an hour idle. No fans on oil cooler.
On the road in the hills 2-up slow crooked road up & down hills around 30-50mph, up & down, RPM kept around 2500 head temps stayed at 260*+ -. Ambient in the 90*'s, oil temps 250*+-. I also have a Power Vision tuner that I can monitor everything real time.

But then each to their own. It's your money & your motorcycle!
Have a nice day ! Ride Safe !

dear_god_stop_zps5860ae1d.jpg

Everyone has their opinion so chill out on the finger pointing and name calling or I'll shut this thread down. I know the Wards are popular but I also know the Love Juggs are super well built and are much more effective, durable and water resistant than anything else on the market including the Wards, there is simply no arguing that fact. This cooling fan debate reminds me of the age old Harley VS Honda argument threads on other sites. We dont let those sort of arguments build up here and never have. We promote being respectful of each other's choice in bikes and trikes and we hold the same feeling about cooling fans so get civil or your posts will be deleted.

Wondering if you could install without thermostst and have fans always on. I would guess with the thermo it would kick in a few min after start up and stay on anyway.

Yes, you can run them with no thermostat. I have a set on my Softail and my 2014 Tri-Glide and had a set on my 2011 Tri-Glide.

I prefer the manual switch, allowing me to turn them on or off at will.

FWIW The only time you would need fan assist would be in heavy stop & go traffic or when you are riding below 30 mph on a hot day for an extended period. If your able to go 30 mph or above you should have plenty of air moving over the engine to cool it without any fans.

I have not had that experience.

I agree, they are more effective at stop & go, & slow speeds. But I regularly play with them at interstate speeds and see a 10-20 degree drop in Front CHT, even at 70 mph on the Tri-Glide. That is on the front cylinder. Since the rear cylinder does not get as much air when running down the road, I would think (but have not documented it) that the difference would be even greater.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png