What are you using for oil in your trike and why that????

I've got a 2012 and after reading the posts here, I decided I'd try to get something more locally obtainable w/o ordering it. So, here goes. I'm using Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle (clutch compatible) in the engine, primary and 75-90 syn blend in the trans. My oil all gets changed in the spring of the year and usually only has 3-5000 miles on it. Just my .02. Happy Trails.

Oil Changes

Like always, I learn a lot from these threads. I ride over 15K per year, so finding the right oil to keep my engine protected from the high temps is a big deal. I trust what I read from Kevin (DK Customs) about Redline since he does detailed research and puts so many miles on his rides. However, I get Amsoil at the "Preferred Customer" price ($9.40 a qt) and the stuff has held up real well for me. But after reading what's been posted, I will be shifting to the Redline Shockproof for the tranny. My biggest obstacle right now is to get past my 2500 mile oil change habit. This habit is drilled into me; HD's at 2500, Truck at 3K. Maybe this year I'll move into the 21st century and believe what I read about synthetic oil's resilience.

R/

Scott Smith

Oil

Well it is getting closer for me to dig out the trike out of winter storage, so I will be changing the oil, I bought this used so it has amsoil in now, wanting to go with regular harley 20w50 which I use in my other 2 bikes with no problems. It is very hard to find amsoil in my area and couldn't believe the price for one quart, they think highly of their oil for sure. I don't put the miles on to warrant synthetic oil, I change oil every year on the bikes regardless of the miles, one year I only had 200 miles on my softail, but changed the oil and filter anyway.

Amsoil. That is what the MC shop recommends. So far so good.

Amsoil, the first synthetic oil to meet API requirements. I've used it for 15 years in anything I have owned that has a piston, never had any complaints. You get what you pay for and I'm not afraid to exceed my mileage by a few hundred miles if headed home on a trip. Don't make a habit of it and if I was using any other oil I would never even think about it. But I have sent oil in for analysis that I was changing, turns out I could have continued to run it a few thousand more miles (did this several years back, can't recall exact wording but it was decent - it cost like $28!! for the analysis which I thought was expensive, thinking I could have replaced almost 3 quarts of oil instead, but I did want to know if the oil had any life left in it or not).

Amsoil has a kit that has oil, o-ring and chrome filter that I buy for around $52. I became a dealer cost $30 year, I went for 5 years and it was cheaper, so I can buy cheaper because I have a lot of vehicles and I buy for my daughter and my grandkid's cars too. They have a preferred buyer program that lowers the price too. Not trying to recruit anyone just making you aware there are ways to buy cheaper if you want that brand. You can ask anyone who sells it and they can steer you straight.

Synthetics are better than dino oils for low milage bikes too. Not using your bike is harder on it than lots of miles. Short runs won't eliminate the water from combustion. Synthetics stick longer to cyl walls and prevent dry starts and rust longer. Containments won't turn synthetics to acids and sludge and thicken like dino oils.

PRICE

You no oil is one thing you don't cheap out on . You buy the best because it is the best for a reason . If you have to as the price you cannt affort it.

Like always, I learn a lot from these threads. I ride over 15K per year, so finding the right oil to keep my engine protected from the high temps is a big deal. I trust what I read from Kevin (DK Customs) about Redline since he does detailed research and puts so many miles on his rides. However, I get Amsoil at the "Preferred Customer" price ($9.40 a qt) and the stuff has held up real well for me. But after reading what's been posted, I will be shifting to the Redline Shockproof for the tranny. My biggest obstacle right now is to get past my 2500 mile oil change habit. This habit is drilled into me; HD's at 2500, Truck at 3K. Maybe this year I'll move into the 21st century and believe what I read about synthetic oil's resilience.

R/

Scott Smith

I used Amsoil in my 03 Ultra . Sold in 2012 with over 105,000 miles. Also used their oil filters & changed oil every 10,000 miles per their recommendation . Amsoil in tranny also Severe Gear 75/90. Ran a 2000 chevy Duramax over 400,000 miles on Amsoil also delivering new RV's all over 50 states... Good stuff Owner of my old 03 still running it today

Brad Penn- Penn Grade 1 20w-50 in the motor, Redline Shockproof in the trany, and Lucas Chaincase oil in the primary.

Keeping the thread going for a bit longer...

100% Amsoil products in every hole, and in all my vehicles for the past 20 years without a lube related breakdown or failure.

You truly get what you pay for in their lubricants. Because it is the best, it costs more than most others!

Amsoil for 30 years. I used so much I became a dealer to get the discount. I only sold some to friends at my cost.

I have no problem using any brand name syn oil if I need to. I have not heard of any engine failing due to any brand of oil if changed at the recommended time.

While I worked at the refinery I called the lubrication engineers and asked about engine lubrication and what was the skinny. They told me don't worry about the name on the fender of your car OR the name of the oil that you use. The ONLY thing that determines how often you should change you oil is the type of driving you do. Period. If you drive a lot of short trips change it more often because the oil does not get hot enough for the moisture that accumulate to be boiled off. If you tend to make long trips, of 200 miles at a steady 70 MPH then your oil gets hot and STAYS hot long enough to get dehydrated.

As far as what type of oil to use? Synthetic oil was developed to withstand higher temperature. Unless you are racing your car you're not getting it hot enough to benefit much from synthetic oil, but if it makes you feel better using it it won't hurt anything.

The best oil for you is one you will change regularly. The difference between them is so small it's negligible because they've all gotten that good. If any one lube oil was really superior to the others they'd have a lock on the lube oil market.

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png