Wings clipped.Trans dead.

Marc H

4250+ Posts
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2011
Evensville,Tn.
I think the trans has died on my trike.Started making a noise on decel about a block from work Monday morning and by the time I rode the 15 miles home the only time it wasn't doing it was sitting still in gear and 4th gear was pretty much useless. I took a short recording sitting in neutral.[video]http://vid989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/LuvMyStar/20170228_174010_zpsx9bakipe.mp4[/video]

I think the trans has died on my trike.Started making a noise on decel about a block from work Monday morning and by the time I rode the 15 miles home the only time it wasn't doing it was sitting still in gear and 4th gear was pretty much useless.I took a short recording sitting in neutral.[video]http://vid989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/LuvMyStar/20170228_174010_zpsx9bakipe.mp4[/video]

Probably not the same, Once with my Spyder the front sprocket chewed up the main shaft, And then the sprocket would just spin free on the shaft...:Shrug:...

I think the trans has died on my trike.Started making a noise on decel about a block from work Monday morning and by the time I rode the 15 miles home the only time it wasn't doing it was sitting still in gear and 4th gear was pretty much useless.I took a short recording sitting in neutral.[video]http://vid989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/LuvMyStar/20170228_174010_zpsx9bakipe.mp4[/video]

Sorry, my shop only works on GL1800, and since this is a GL1500, I could be totally wrong. But that noise sounds way to light, or high-pitched for a transmission noise that is constantly being lubricated with engine oil. Before jumping to a transmission problem, I'd see what the drive shaft is doing when someone is duplicating the symptom. My guess would be that you will see the output shaft of the engine spinning, but not the back part of the driveshaft. Somewhere on your shaft are probably splines, and most likely your problems is from worn splines.

FYI ... as on-going maintenance, most trike manufactures require their drive shaft be pulled, inspected, and lubed every 5,000-24,000 miles. On GL1800s, unless one is on a long trip, it's been my experience that is a service that should never be skipped.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions folks.Tomorrow is my day off so hopefully I can get stuff done and start checking a few things.

Splines are fine.I guess its a bad sign if you can spin the output shaft while the trans is in 4th or 5th right.Especially since they use the same shift collar.[FONT=&quot]I know the Valk engine is a no go because of loosing reverse and this is a trike.Can I use the shafts and gears from a Valk in mine or use the reverse goodies as well as intake from mine on a Valk engine.I'm not afraid of the work as long I know it can be done and i'll have everything I need between the 2.[/FONT]

Splines are fine.I guess its a bad sign if you can spin the output shaft while the trans is in 4th or 5th right.Especially since they use the same shift collar.I know the Valk engine is a no go because of loosing reverse and this is a trike.Can I use the shafts and gears from a Valk in mine or use the reverse goodies as well as intake from mine on a Valk engine.I'm not afraid of the work as long I know it can be done and i'll have everything I need between the 2.

Disregard the spinning shaft part of this I confused myself.Will inspect further when time allows.

There's a good chance the return orifice in the reservoir is clogged.
I'm curious and like a sponge I absorb this type of info.Are saying that its some sort of chatter caused by partial clutch engagement?I would have thought it would act like a brake master and basically eventually keep the clutch disengaged completely.Please educate me.

I'm curious and like a sponge I absorb this type of info.Are saying that its some sort of chatter caused by partial clutch engagement?I would have thought it would act like a brake master and basically eventually keep the clutch disengaged completely.Please educate me.
If the return orifice is clogged it will make the clutch slip, as it did on a gentleman's GL1200 when he stated that the bike was having clutch issues and the condition of the fluid was like coffee. A flush of the system and the problem went away. Water in the lowest point in the system will heat and expand and put pressure in the system and separate the plates. When the water in the system is cold the system will work, as it heats it will start to cause the plates to separate and disengage.

I think she's trying to tell a "muffler bearing" joke

No I'm not.
From an automotive site on hydraulic clutches.
[h=3]2. Hard to shift[/h]Another symptom commonly associated with a bad or failing clutch master cylinder is difficulty shifting. The clutch master cylinder is hydraulic in nature and is therefore prone to internal leaks that can interfere with it’s ability to properly displaced fluid. If the master cylinder is not able to properly create pressure, it will not be able to disengage the clutch properly when the pedal is pressed. This may lead to grinding the gears when shifting, and possibly even a transmission that pops out of gear.

Last edited:
If the return orifice is clogged it will make the clutch slip, as it did on a gentleman's GL1200 when he stated that the bike was having clutch issues and the condition of the fluid was like coffee. A flush of the system and the problem went away. Water in the lowest point in the system will heat and expand and put pressure in the system and separate the plates. When the water in the system is cold the system will work, as it heats it will start to cause the plates to separate and disengage.

No I'm not.

Sorry ... yes, they can do that. When I read you post, for some reason I was thinking you were talking about the oil assisted clutch side of things.

No I'm not.
From an automotive site on hydraulic clutches.

Thanks.That clears that up for me.

Heres where i'm at with this.Stethoscope shows loudest in in lower area more towards the front.Gonna try to borrow a scope from one of the mechanics at work.Almost forgot he had it.But here is a better video.I have the the lifter plate out of it and obviously the slave cyl.to eliminate those. http://vid989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/LuvMyStar/20170308_1349341_zpsj1qvtn0z.mp4 Also does anybody know how Valkyrie engines do in trikes.With wrist control are they comparable in fuel mileage?I have the reverse part figured out so that not much of a concern.

I got a weedwacker sounds just like that! Sorry. Anyway i don't know how long you've owned that bkie but rtv like sealer always says bad things to me. If you hold a finger against that rear cover can you feel the noise? It sounds like a nut or snap ring let go. Probably allowing gears or clutch drum to rub on something it shouldn't.

Heres where i'm at with this.Stethoscope shows loudest in in lower area more towards the front.Gonna try to borrow a scope from one of the mechanics at work.Almost forgot he had it.But here is a better video.I have the the lifter plate out of it and obviously the slave cyl.to eliminate those. http://vid989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/LuvMyStar/20170308_1349341_zpsj1qvtn0z.mp4 Also does anybody know how Valkyrie engines do in trikes.With wrist control are they comparable in fuel mileage?I have the reverse part figured out so that not much of a concern.

There is a lot of missing information ... it would help if you told us what you are doing. Are you shifting from N into 1st, then back into N, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ??? What are you doing with your clutch ??? Is it in the whole time, or are you pulling it in and letting it out as you complete each shift ??? Are the rear wheels off the ground ??? What does it do in 5th ???

Sorry.Slave is off.I'm sorry the name escapes me but the entire piece with the bearing that mounts on the clutch to release it is off.Just the clutch itself is there.Driveshaft is out.I wasn't clutching just changing.I started in N then 1,N,2,3,4.

Sorry.Slave is off.I'm sorry the name escapes me but the entire piece with the bearing that mounts on the clutch to release it is off.Just the clutch itself is there.Driveshaft is out.I wasn't clutching just changing.I started in N then 1,N,2,3,4.

Thanks ... I'm sure that will help. Unfortunately, I live in the world of GL1800, and know very little about 1500s, and since my prior guess was wrong, we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to assist with your issue.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png