• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Harleys Marketing

This is an interesting read, I do not see how HD Corporate thinks a Hollywood Actor many have never heard of will help sales. I do not buy Harley's on Hollywood's say.

Read here,https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/harley-ceo-jochen-zeitz/

It’s funny so they think an actor who can afford to buy any one of the machines (And maybe even get it free as part of the contract) when the average person that they are trying sell bikes to can’t Afford those bikes is beyond me?

It’s funny so they think an actor who can afford to buy any one of the machines (And maybe even get it free as part of the contract) when the average person that they are trying sell bikes to can’t Afford those bikes is beyond me?

Just to add maybe people who buy Lincolns are impressed by actors !’ But I don’t think bikers are....🙄..

He was gifted a 18 Softail, must be rough to have a bike given to you:p

How does HD make money by closing dealerships? Does that equate to having to make less bikes? So less bikes made equals more profit? I would think having as many dealerships as possible would help the bottom line? What do I know?

If they want a Hollywood type as an incentive to sell bikes wouldn't a guy like Peter Fonda be a better example? Some one who rides and makes movies about riding bikes? I am only using him as an example I know he passed away.

I am glad I have the trike I have. I won't be replacing it in my time left on Earth.

HD has priced themselves out of the market. Selling a $6.00 T-Shirt for $50.00 ,A simple oil change for over $300.00

I'm surprised they don't charge you admission for just walking into their dealership. I like my Trike and have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. As long as I can ride, I'll ride. :Coffee:

How does HD make money by closing dealerships? Does that equate to having to make less bikes? So less bikes made equals more profit? I would think having as many dealerships as possible would help the bottom line? What do I know?

If they want a Hollywood type as an incentive to sell bikes wouldn't a guy like Peter Fonda be a better example? Some one who rides and makes movies about riding bikes? I am only using him as an example I know he passed away.

I am glad I have the trike I have. I won't be replacing it in my time left on Earth.

Peter Fonda.......You got to be kidding....He was left wing like his Sister...

Any time a celebrity or athlete endorse a product it makes me not want to buy it. What needs to be done is cut prices, give a buyer incentive and discounts. They do it with car/truck sales to move the product. Have sales like they do 4th of July sale, Memorial Day Sale & Labor Day Sale. Look into new markets for your product, ex. Jane Smith is 5'2" tall and would like to ride a motorcycle but cannot, Jane is a fine candidate for a trike, why not market them to shorter riders and even those with a disability? A young man is looking into a sportbike but has interest in a Sportster too, drop the price of an entry level bike close enough to the sportbike and you'll have a customer. It's all about marketing and pricing with the goal of reaching the average citizen.

Harley doesn't close dealerships, they are privately owned. The dealerships close for one reason or another. In today's world, it is survival of the fittest. The dealer in Clovis, NM is an example. Within a week of NM stay at home order, it closed.

As is, H-D is on life support. They do not have the diversity needed to continue. Their product line is to narrow.

I'm new in the Harley world 2013, the pricing is out of control and from what I have seen it has been. Until I got the family squared away I didn't look very hard at Harleys knowing the pricing. First of all management is pitiful there. An product development must be done by accountants (bean counters) sad I hope someone will jerk these fools into reality before its to late. I fear we have already reached that point. Back in the 70's sprints M-50's were small but they created product loyalty now if your not flush with cash you are not in the game for a new one. Good luck to the dealerships, if I were a dealer I would work really hard at keeping pristine used Harleys at a good dollar to keep my doors open. And I think they must diversify to stay in the game. Just sayin Fred

I'm new in the Harley world 2013, the pricing is out of control and from what I have seen it has been. Until I got the family squared away I didn't look very hard at Harleys knowing the pricing. First of all management is pitiful there. An product development must be done by accountants (bean counters) sad I hope someone will jerk these fools into reality before its to late. I fear we have already reached that point. Back in the 70's sprints M-50's were small but they created product loyalty now if your not flush with cash you are not in the game for a new one. Good luck to the dealerships, if I were a dealer I would work really hard at keeping pristine used Harleys at a good dollar to keep my doors open. And I think they must diversify to stay in the game. Just sayin Fred

Thats what Harleys new CEO Is asking /recommending its dealers should do...

I purchased my Harley because of my son, not an actor. What HD fails to understand that it is the existing riders that will influence the next generation rider, not marketing. It is a lot like the existing political climate. You will not get the other side to your side because you say so or have hollyweird telling you that your beliefs are wrong and they as actors are better judges of what your needs are. You have to find that common goal. HD is not doing that at all!

At this point in time the Harley Chiefs don't have a clue, They are just floating in the breeze...:xzqxz:....

You're right they seem clueless on how to market and sell a product and these are college educated boobs that run companies into the ground instead of making them profitable. Take a page from Henry Fords strategy book or build bikes to order, cover all consumer bases. You have to get into the consumer's head to find out what they want, not what you think they want. Have a basic model and then add a package, it would be simple: Mr Smith wants a basic touring bike and he wants the Electra-Glide Standard only comes in black that's what he gets and now Mr. & Mrs. Jones are searching for a fully dressed touring model with all the bells and whistles plus their choice of colors. Made to order and no excess inventory. Have a couple of bikes on the floor with each package for customers to see and if they like the 'Floor Model' sell it to them.

It's like one of their BS stunts with two fools taking electric bikes off road and to countries with no electricity, but having to use support vehicles with generators and extra batteries to make the trip possible.

Last edited:
You have to get into the consumer's head to find out what they want, not what you think they want.

I had an argument with a software engineer where I worked. I was a field service engineer and was telling the software engineer what the customers were requesting in order to operate their equipment. His reply was that the customer does not know what they want and he was dead serious!

The Big shots in control of HD have forgotten their own history and how the loyal older owners of bikes helped keep HD solvent, this will surely continue to bite at them ;)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png