Handeling corners & curves?

Mustang, send a PM to Bazooka. He can tell you the correct rake kit for your trike, and he also makes high quality rake kits available to members at a significant discount.

As a new rider with only 500 miles on 3 wheels, I can tell you it sure to spooky at first. I'm okay now with right turns, but left turns still are scarey. Part of it, I'm sure, is with independent suspension that bike "leans" a little and it plays with the mind, at least it does with me. I'm sure experience will improve that mindset.

Overall, I'm still fairly "low mileage" (trike miles), maybe 2-3 thousand. I have had (getting better) the same "mental thing" as you. Right turns no problem, left turns scary (or whatever it is). I can't quite figure out why this is, but didn't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger.

Sweeping left turns, no particular problem, but tighter turns (such as a Traffic Circle or "Rotary" - if your from New England) still "get my attention". Mentally, I know this reaction is "nuts" so I continue to work at improving. If I can figure out why this is, it should go a long way correcting the "problem".

Keep at you'll get better with time...

This problem has been around for years ( BT ) before trikes . One guy figured that it is more relaxed turning the throttle up in a left sweep than a right . U really have to concentrate on turning you wrist inward while turning the bar outward. Think about it when riding next time.

As a new rider with only 500 miles on 3 wheels, I can tell you it sure to spooky at first. I'm okay now with right turns, but left turns still are scarey. Part of it, I'm sure, is with independent suspension that bike "leans" a little and it plays with the mind, at least it does with me. I'm sure experience will improve that mindset.

What you are going through is a transitional phase. There is a learning curve, as well as a comfort zone that comes only with time. If you luv to ride you will overcome it-but I don't care what anybody says, Trikes are a different animal comepletely than two wheels! Some people buy trikes and end up selling them before they ever get used to them.:D

What you are going through is a transitional phase. There is a learning curve, as well as a comfort zone that comes only with time. If you luv to ride you will overcome it-but I don't care what anybody says, Trikes are a different animal comepletely than two wheels! Some people buy trikes and end up selling them before they ever get used to them.:D
Never having been on a trike before, I drove my 98 Goldwing trike home at night 340 miles and my thoughts were the same. I'm gonna sell this dam thing and get back to 2 wheels! lol I'm used to it now and I don't think I'll ever go back to 2 wheels again. Let me add again. This is a great forum!

(1) If Your Trike has air, etc. adjustment to take out chassis roll, take it out, leaving a small amount for "feel"

(2) Put 39 or more lbs of air in Your Front Tire...this helps the Trike turn quicker, easier, and with more "road feel"

(3) Run a Lower Gear in Twisties so You have quicker, and more Engine Braking if You roll out of the Throttle

(4) Roll out of Your Throttle a little sooner than You did on a 2-Wheeler when approaching a Turn

(5) Look as far through the Corner as You can, completely through it if possible...this is the Best Cure for "Lean Wrong Way Trike Syndrome"...if You look far enough, long enough, You'll eventually not notice the lean, and your cornering will get much smoother

..........ThumbUp :Trike1:

I've found the key to getting the trike to corner is to slightly accelerate as you go into the corner... most trikes tend to "push" meaning they feel like they are not turning, ease on the throttle and you will soon find you're going just as fast or faster than the 2 wheelers!

Yesterday I went on a ride with a couple of friends and we went up a very neat long sloaping hill that has several curves. Being a new triker, I slowed down and took the curves a lot slower than both of them did on their Harley Ultras.
Is there a trick to handeling corners? I have an 04 1800 goldwing with a Trike Shop Kit. I kinda lean my weight to the inside of the curve. If riding double should the rider learn to lean also?
Okie
Tulsa, Ok

I have added a 6 degree EZ steer kit and it is like power steering.......less muscle needed to push and pull. Love it.

I taught myself to handle curves by practicing in a parking lot and putting my right hand in my back pocket. Riding in '8's without leaning, or even thinking about leaning became easy. And living here in West Virginia handling corners and curves are required!

The local MSF chapter in VA, mscv.org, offers trike classes in Ashland, VA, for 2-6 students. They will even furnish the trike if you don't want to use your own. I have signed up for the January class, the last week in January. They have also scheduled classes in February and March. One of the questions I intend to ask is the advisability of alternating between 2 wheels and 3 so I don't lose hard earned muscle memory, including cornering.

One of the questions I intend to ask is the advisability of alternating between 2 wheels and 3 so I don't lose hard earned muscle memory, including cornering.

Triker for just about 20 years, and on 2 for, um, quite a bit longer, still have both bike & trike. I can get off one ride and right on to the other with no problems. Never do bike stuff on the trike or trike stuff on the bike. The key, I think, is that the bike (1990 Harley FLHS, owned since '92) is different than the trikes we have had. Our 1st trike was a VW TrikeShop Roundabout, then a 1500 Wing Motor Trike, and currently a GL 1800 Champion.. The trikes have been so different than the Harley in looks and feel I don't get them mixed up.

Had a friend at work with 2 early '90s Wings , both gray, one triked and one not. He had a big sign under the windshield vents that said "BIKE" AND "TRIKE" so he would remember how many wheels he was on.

The local MSF chapter in VA, mscv.org, offers trike classes in Ashland, VA, for 2-6 students. They will even furnish the trike if you don't want to use your own. I have signed up for the January class, the last week in January. They have also scheduled classes in February and March. One of the questions I intend to ask is the advisability of alternating between 2 wheels and 3 so I don't lose hard earned muscle memory, including cornering.

I'll also be looking to take this course. I was wondering where they offered it in VA. Thanks for the tip! ThumbUp

I taught myself to handle curves by practicing in a parking lot and putting my right hand in my back pocket. Riding in '8's without leaning, or even thinking about leaning became easy. And living here in West Virginia handling corners and curves are required!

So how do you controll the throtlle or brake with your right hand in your back pocket? I do not understand what this helps with, how fast are you going, are you using your cruise controll? Please explain...

I still use the MSF basic skills course advice on cornering a motorycle even when I'm on on the trike:

Slow - back off the throttle before getting into the curve
Look - Look as far through the curve as you can. Even on a trike you go where you look
Lean - On faster curves I lean my body (not the trike!) into the curve a bit to counteract the centrifical force pushing me to the outside
Roll - Roll on the throttle through the curve, helps the trike push through.

So how do you controll the throtlle or brake with your right hand in your back pocket? I do not understand what this helps with, how fast are you going, are you using your cruise controll? Please explain...

Right hand in back pocket is "beginning parking lot practice". Hold in clutch, put bike in first, hand in pocket, let out clutch and bike will move at idle speed - which is plenty for slow speed maneuvers while learning. Do a bunch of figure 8s and other turns and you will get a comfortable feel for the bike and confidence in your increasing abilities.

I just got some info from a former co worker who is the program director for the MSC in Tennessee. There is a Trike Training course in Nashville and Knoxville only,it is equal to a Beginner Riders course. There is no advanced course for trikes at this time.

Motorcycle Rider Education Program

I took the Knoxville course last year and I can't say enough great things about the instructors. You get your MSF certificate and in my case, I got my M Class endorsement after passing. 5 Stars!!!

MarciaG ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png