Handeling corners & curves?

simple - lean in

Think ---- like a side car rider. Lean in - to keep as much weight on the lighest wheel. (to keep it from comming up.) Hence - lean into the turn.

Take the classes

:)The GWRRA, there are several chapters around Tulsa. They have trike riding classes, with and without a passenger. Also they have a class for trike riding and pulling a trailer. Just get all the information you need from any member of any chapter in the Tulsa area. Go to the GWRRA web site and get all the information about the classes etc. I've taken all the classes GWRRA has to offer in trike riding and road safety. Goldwingagain. :):)

:)The GWRRA, there are several chapters around Tulsa. They have trike riding classes, with and without a passenger. Also they have a class for trike riding and pulling a trailer. Just get all the information you need from any member of any chapter in the Tulsa area. Go to the GWRRA web site and get all the information about the classes etc. I've taken all the classes GWRRA has to offer in trike riding and road safety. Goldwingagain. :):)

GWRRA duz have some great rider education seminars. RIDE SAFE

I didn't read it all, but I read enough to know I'm not adding anything new with my post ..... just maybe reinforcing something already said.

On the Bike "Wife Unit" and I sit straight up or lean slightly inside the bike in turns, "Wife Unit" looks over my inside shoulder. Of course, Bike steers with slightly different imputs than Trike. Bike isn't really steered so much as it's leaned by kicking the bottom side of tires to outside.

On the Trike, I find that I pull in on inside grip as I straighten my outside arm and I find it good to "lean" my upper body somewhat to the inside. "Wife Unit" holds onto hand holds and presses with outside foot and leans her upper body to the inside about same as I (she says).

On long sweepers with gentle radiuses, there isn't much "leaning" by either of us .... the above is primarily on sharper / harder turns. I also keep my head level.

I do my braking before turning into the turn, sometimes just a hint continuing into turn .....

but then I'm on the throttle by half way.

As to lines, my preference is generally to go in a little wide and tighten up towards the inside at exit .....

and other times when I can see the whole turn .... it's "out-in-out". Some other roads, like the narrow ones .... I just maintain my lane and leave the other guy his.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't read it all, but I read enough to know I'm not adding anything new with my post ..... just maybe reinforcing something already said.

On the Bike "Wife Unit" and I sit straight up or lean slightly inside the bike in turns, "Wife Unit" looks over my inside shoulder. Of course, Bike steers with slightly different imputs than Trike. Bike isn't really steered so much as it's leaned by kicking the bottom side of tires to outside.

On the Trike, I find that I pull in on inside grip as I straighten my outside arm and I find it good to "lean" my upper body somewhat to the inside.

"Wife Unit" holds onto hand holds and presses with outside foot and leans her upper body to the inside about same as I (she says).

On long sweepers with gentle radiuses, there isn't much "leaning" by either of us ....

the above is primarily on sharper / harder turns. I also keep my head level.

I do my braking before turning into the turn, sometimes just a hint continuing into turn ..... but then I'm on the throttle by half way. As to lines, my preference is generally to go in a little wide and tighten up towards the inside at exit ..... and other times when I can see the whole turn .... it's "out-in-out". Some other roads, like the narrow ones ....

I just maintain my lane and leave the other guy his.

I know this is a bit off topic for your question, though not your thread title, so for the sake of safety I want to say to every trike owner reading this: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS take it easy in the curves until you really get used to how your particular trike takes curves. I know of several trike owners who gunned it through curves and ran off the road. One good friend of mine was on his new trike, hit the curb in a turn, flipped and rolled it down a 15 foot bank and got seriously hurt when the trike landed on top of him. Once you get thoroughly used to your trike, you can take curves with the best two wheelers, but it takes time to adapt to steering, not leaning through curves.

Thank you for this message,

As I have not yet rode a trike (my Goldwing is in the shop now "as we speak" getting triked out..) I'm excited and worried all at the same time about learning how to ride this new toy of mine..... I did order the 5.5 rake for easier steering .

Ronnie

Once you get the hang of it do you feel you can stay with or outperform a good rider on 2 wheels?

Yes dependant on the trike design. I can out run most cruisers and tour bikes as ground clearance is not an issue. The key is to push not turn the handlebars. Using a stiff arm to push on the bars will brace your upper body and relieve that feeling of flying off. If you have ridden ATV or snowmobiles you already understand.
Keep your lower body relaxed and don't do the push with your feet or any of that. In hard corners you can lean a little but in general leaning is counter productive.
On a reverse trike your only limit is tire grip as they don't tip and generally speaking tire adhesion is greater than a normal 2 wheeler.
The more time you spend riding the faster you will ride into corners.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png