Handeling corners & curves?

So Glad I found you guys. I'm a newbie and am learning so much on this site. I've always rode on the back of a bike and after divorce last year I bought a Trike. I have no one to refer to or ask questions:gah: So having you here is like family. pepper Thanks for all the info:cool:

Ray - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. That "left turn stuff" happens to many of us. Should get better with time and practice. Keep at it. :)
Hey Ray, I'm a newbie also. Someone told me when I first mentioned how it felt uncomfortable taking curves to the left at any speed...that we all have our preference turns, but with time and practice we will be come more comfortable. Well I'm finding that to be true with a few miles under my belt. Last week my G/Daughter and I rode Fri. & Sat. from sunup till sundown in the country on many curvy roads. Suddenly I realized I wasn't worrying about the turns any longer but was really just enjoying the ride. It was awesome and very confidence building. Just take your time and it will come to you. It's great having all this support on this site!!!! I'm so happy I've found you Guys and Gals!!!! The information here is priceless!!!

It is sort of fun moving from the "this thing sucks" factor to "I love this dam thing " Just some time and miles is all it takes. Can't tell you how many time I started a for sale add then backed away from it !

just got back riding the Black Hills in South Dakota.....just got the champion trike kit installed a week before we left......debated hard on amount of rake but went six degrees. it cornered beautifully and went down the interstate great.....on the needles highway I left four two-wheelers behind.

Comanche has it dead to rights! I never took lessons on a trike. Rode two-wheelers for forty odd years then moved to my Honda Goldwing 1500 GL through necessity - wish I'd done it earlier! Ease into corners, look ahead, choose your exit and (gently) accelerate out. I'm taking bends and corners along with a bunch of two-wheelers and holding my own!

Comanche has it dead to rights! I never took lessons on a trike. Rode two-wheelers for forty odd years then moved to my Honda Goldwing 1500 GL through necessity - wish I'd done it earlier! Ease into corners, look ahead, choose your exit and (gently) accelerate out. I'm taking bends and corners along with a bunch of two-wheelers and holding my own!

Yep....."FAST" goes with "SMOOTH"...Anyone that develops Their Riding Skills to the point of ALWAYS being Smooth, will automatically be Fast at some point.....ThumbUp

So Glad I found you guys. I'm a newbie and am learning so much on this site. I've always rode on the back of a bike and after divorce last year I bought a Trike. I have no one to refer to or ask questions:gah: So having you here is like family. pepper Thanks for all the info:cool:

Yep - it's pretty much like finding a family but without the negative interactions! This is one of the very few forums I've found where people just enjoy helping each other without flames or caustic sarcasm. :)

sorry John Luciano, I have to say I had just the opposite happen to my trike. I was told by friends of mine who ride trikes to get that bias ply tire off of the front , so I did and could not believe the handling difference. I know Harley's have bias ply right out of the showroom but I suppose every trike is different and everybody drives them a little different. you may have a great feeling with bias over the radial or vice versa but I will never put a bias ply on my trike again. by the way, my ride is a 2007 flhtc converted with a Champion kit with solid rear axle, so you see anything different such as independent suspension or a different kind of trike kit could make a difference. we all try different things to give us a better ride, so if a different tire gave you a good feeling , that's great

I read this entire thread before I took possession of my trike about six weeks ago and used the good advice given here while honing my trike skills over the past 4,000 miles. As mentioned, each day and each mile gets better. The first few miles I wondered what I'd got myself in to and decided not to sell my 1800 until I got a few trike miles under my belt and decided which way to go.

Well, I'm now listing the 1800 and completely loving the 1800CSC.

I just read the entire thread again and I really found it much more meaningful this time around.

Thanx to all of the contributors - your experience and advice has been very helpful.
:10::10::10::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

I just read most of this thread. It was full of very good advise and it covered some good points I need to remember.

I only have about 400 miles on a trike so far. My plan is to head up 'Indian Canyon' some day this week. This mountain road tops out at about 8,000 feet and is full of turns, curves, and challenges.

I'll be practicing all the good advise from this thread... great forum!

Did 300 miles Saturday up around Black mountain , Trike did well only puckered me and the wife one time in a fast down hill switch back. Around Lake Lure NC I could see a lot of hard point touch downs in a few of the turns those mut have hurt.

Still a little bit confused. I have read posts that say "step on the outside board when cornering and posts that say step on the inside board when cornering. which is correct? I only have 700 miles on my new trike and pressure on outside floor board in turns seems to make me feel more comfortable. I agree, as with everyone else, that it is a time process after 40 some years on two wheels, there is definitely a difference.

Thanks to all!!

Do whichever way helps you feel most comfortable as you shift your weight or lean your body to the inside of the turn. The trike is not going to tip with normal riding, but that weight shift sure does make the turns feel more comfortable. :)

Re: Handling corners & curves?

Still a little bit confused. I have read posts that say "step on the outside board when cornering and posts that say step on the inside board when cornering. which is correct? I only have 700 miles on my new trike and pressure on outside floor board in turns seems to make me feel more comfortable. I agree, as with everyone else, that it is a time process after 40 some years on two wheels, there is definitely a difference.

Thanks to all!!

You've got it right. Some say lean and others say use you legs to maintain your riding position. I'm with the latter group. Staying centered directly behind the bike's center helps the rider maintain better control. Back in the two wheel days we could lean and still stay centered. Not so with trikes. I learned early to apply down pressure to the outside foot peg/rest and grip the inside of the trike with my other leg/foot.

Like Nana said... Do what works for you best. Try all the suggestions then stick with the one you like best. Constantly changing riding styles is just gonna confuse the learning process.

Re: Handling corners & curves?

You've got it right. Some say lean and others say use you legs to maintain your riding position. I'm with the latter group. Staying centered directly behind the bike's center helps the rider maintain better control. Back in the two wheel days we could lean and still stay centered. Not so with trikes. I learned early to apply down pressure to the outside foot peg/rest and grip the inside of the trike with my other leg/foot.

Like Nana said... Do what works for you best. Try all the suggestions then stick with the one you like best. Constantly changing riding styles is just gonna confuse the learning process.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep trying outside floor board method. Seems to work so far and I'm getting better at it. Again thanks!

For some reason I'm also more comfortable doing right turns but funny, when I was on 2 wheels it was just the opposite.

I'm fairly new, having only been riding a trike since July. I've figured out that the crown of the road has a lot to do with how difficult a corner is. They usually slant from the middle of the road to the outside. This usually makes right turns easier than left because when you go to the left, the trike is tilting to the right making you feel as though you're being thrown off of the trike to the right. To compensate for this, I lean heavily to the left just as you would do with a 2 wheeler. Seems to help.

You'll also find, I think, that you use your handle bars with different amount of pressure during turns since you don't really lean the bike, you push/pull the bars more. I dont' find myself working the boards as I turn.
Ride safe and enjoy.
"Brianl" mentioned the crown of the roads during turns. I try to positon myself so the front wheel is on the inside part of the crown of the direction I'm turning
cooltech:cool:

I new to trikes talk, only two week with a 08 trike with a hannigan kit. I find this a very good topic. while my bike was being trike, I was read about taking corners & curves, and the crown of the road. Wait and pick up my bike on Oct. 4, 2013 and rode home, hadn't rode a trike before when 450 mile with it. Arm were sore from push & pull. The first week home I put 1500 mile on my trike riding with a friend getting tip from his on how to ride a trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png