Photos of brake light bar on freewheeler

May 6, 2017
richardson tx
i installed the luggage rack brake light from Custom Dynamics on my 17 Freewheeler and thought others might find this helpful. The installation was straight forward and professional looking but you need to read the instructions carefully. No drilling is required. You do have to insert two wires into the connector they provide (get it right the first time), and then it’s just plug and play. You only have to remove your seat. Also be sure you run the wire BEHIND the trunk lining or you won't be able to remove the liner later without disconnecting the wire.

I chose the smoked lens to match my new tail lights. You really don’t even see the smoked lens light bar until you turn the lights on.

The luggage rack sets pretty low on a Freewheeler so the visibility is most effective from about 10 ft or more back (assuming the average height of a driver in a car). I chose Custom Dynamics because their LEDs are angled up more than some others making it more visible to drivers behind you.

The brightness in the photos is subjective due to surrounding light level, camera exposure and angle taken, but you can compare it brightness of the brake light to the tail lights. The photos show both running light level and brake light level. Keep in mind that my tail lights are HD LED lights which are brighter than the stock lights on a Freewheeler. The photos have been cropped but they were all taken from about the same 10 foot distance.

I feel it was a good investment for $70. Might even put a flasher on it as I do a lot of evening and night rides around the lakes.

Ron

CLOSE UP OF BRAKE BAR IN RUN POSITION

freewheeler brake light CLOSE.jpg

BRAKE BAR DISTANCE BRAKE ON POSITION

FREEWHEELER BRAKE OFF FAR SM.jpg

BRAKE BAR BRAKE VS RUN DAYTIME

freewheeler brake off SM.jpg

freewheeler brake on SM.jpg

BRAKE BAR BRAKE VS RUN NIGHTTIME

freewheeler brake off dark sm.jpg

freewheeler brake on dark SM.jpg

Thanks for the installation tips. It looks great. I have been waffling on how to do this mod, either like you did or replacing the reflector below the trunk lock.

As far as flashing, I installed the Custom Dynamics Brake Light Modulator & am very happy with it. It's a very quick & easy install & gives you 10 different flash modes to choose from.

Thanks for the installation tips. It looks great. I have been waffling on how to do this mod, either like you did or replacing the reflector below the trunk lock.

As far as flashing, I installed the Custom Dynamics Brake Light Modulator & am very happy with it. It's a very quick & easy install & gives you 10 different flash modes to choose from.

Thanks, think I going to do the flasher. If you have a luggage rack this will be much easier than replacing the reflector with lights. Also keep in mind the lower you go the less effective the lighting will be.

Ride safe bro....

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
Looks cool, what seat is that? Looking for one with wider passenger seat.

That's the Harley Sundowner seat. I chose it because of the wider back seat and works with the rider back rest. It also has a nice deep pocket. I take 3 to 6 hours rides with no fatigue, but I'm 6 foot and use my highway pegs about 90% of the time.

Reactions: MDO
That's the Harley Sundowner seat. I chose it because of the wider back seat and works with the rider back rest. It also has a nice deep pocket. I take 3 to 6 hours rides with no fatigue, but I'm 6 foot and use my highway pegs about 90% of the time.

I got the HD Tallboy Sundowner & love it also! I actually got a good deal on it. 1 of my local dealers had a deal if you spend $300 you got a turn in 1 of those money machines for 30 second a & I grabbed $120.:cool:

Coming back from Durango, CO last year I did a 650 mile day on that seat & it was great!

Plug and play

i installed the luggage rack brake light from Custom Dynamics on my 17 Freewheeler and thought others might find this helpful. The installation was straight forward and professional looking but you need to read the instructions carefully. No drilling is required. You do have to insert two wires into the connector they provide (get it right the first time), and then it’s just plug and play. You only have to remove your seat. Also be sure you run the wire BEHIND the trunk lining or you won't be able to remove the liner later without disconnecting the wire.

I chose the smoked lens to match my new tail lights. You really don’t even see the smoked lens light bar until you turn the lights on.

The luggage rack sets pretty low on a Freewheeler so the visibility is most effective from about 10 ft or more back (assuming the average height of a driver in a car). I chose Custom Dynamics because their LEDs are angled up more than some others making it more visible to drivers behind you.

The brightness in the photos is subjective due to surrounding light level, camera exposure and angle taken, but you can compare it brightness of the brake light to the tail lights. The photos show both running light level and brake light level. Keep in mind that my tail lights are HD LED lights which are brighter than the stock lights on a Freewheeler. The photos have been cropped but they were all taken from about the same 10 foot distance.

I feel it was a good investment for $70. Might even put a flasher on it as I do a lot of evening and night rides around the lakes.

Ron

CLOSE UP OF BRAKE BAR IN RUN POSITION

View attachment 82426

BRAKE BAR DISTANCE BRAKE ON POSITION

View attachment 82427

BRAKE BAR BRAKE VS RUN DAYTIME

View attachment 82428

View attachment 82429

BRAKE BAR BRAKE VS RUN NIGHTTIME

View attachment 82430

View attachment 82431

Thanks for the info. I am not sure where the plug and play plugs in under the seat. Can you advise me? Thanks Phil